The Lost Diary of Venice

Pub Date 11 Jun 2020 | Archive Date Not set

Talking about this book? Use #TheLostDiaryofVenice #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

A secret diary. A forbidden love. A centuries old mystery to solve.

When a rare sixteenth-century manuscript lands on her desk courtesy of William, a struggling painter, shy book restorer Rose makes a startling discovery: it is a palimpsest. Beneath the text is a different document, one that's been written over. What they discover is the secret diary of William's ancestor, Giovanni Lomazzo, a Venetian painter who has just been commissioned by Venice's most powerful admiral to paint a portrait of his favourite courtesan... it is a diary of forbidden love, dangerous political plots, and secrets that could destroy everyone involved.

Together, Rose and William work to solve the mystery of what happened to the secret lovers. As feelings develop between Rose and William, their own experience begins to mirror the affair that they're uncovering, and each set of lovers is forced to confront the reality of their romance.

A richly detailed and sweeping page-turner, Margaux's sumptuous portrait of late Renaissance Italy will have you falling headlong into history, slipping in and out of the shadows along the canals of Venice.

A secret diary. A forbidden love. A centuries old mystery to solve.

EDITION Ebook

Send To Kindle (MOBI)

What a lovely read this was! It all starts off in a bookshop in America. That storyline takes us into the world of a manuscript, restored books and missing pieces of puzzles from the past. The second thread of the story then leads us into Renaissance Italy, the story behind that manuscript and the love story between two unexpected souls. I won't repeat the blurb or go into the plot as this is more of a reading experience than just a novel. You have to go in without knowing a great deal and allow the world of Renaissance Italy, real life history, historical figures and art..oh the art! to envelope your senses. Wonderfully created, this is an author who has done some serious research but leaves most of it seeping from the pages, not written blindly across it. ~The characters tell the story for you and you travel with them. Ps The author note is very detailed and very interesting in its own right!

This was a very entertaining read that wove together two timelines in a most compelling fashion. In present day USA an artist named William brings an old book that apears to be a treatise on art written by his ancestor Giovanni Lomazzo to a restorer named Rose who works out of her bookshop near a university campus. As Rose begins working on the book, she discovers that the manuscript is in fact a palimpsest and contains diary entries and repeated sketches of a young unidentified woman. Rose finds herself intoxicated by the story of Giovanni and his love for this mysterious woman he has sketched in the book, and this becomes mirrored in Rose’s own life as she becomes more and more drawn to William and the two develop a deep connection to each other despite William’s marital status. In 1570’s Venice we follow the story of Giovanni and his forbidden love affair with a courtesan named Chiara that is set against the backdrop of the Ottoman-Venetian War. I rather enjoyed this romantic novel with a distinct historical fiction aspect. I found myself very invested in both timelines and for much of the book I was unsure as to how events would pan out and was therefore incredibly eager to get to the end so I would know everything! I especially was completely blindsided by a late plot development in the 1570s timeline that sent me reeling! The book essentially gives us two forbidden love stories that are forbidden for different reasons and it’s the contrast between both that makes for thought provoking reading. I felt that the current timeline following Rose and her interactions with William was perfectly played. In what could be described as somewhat of a risky move for such a romance heavy novel, this timeline toyed with the idea of infidelity and what it truly means to love someone. I was very much touched by Rose’s loneliness and truly felt her longing for something more in life. I also really loved the inclusion of Rose’s family storyline especially her interactions with her sister; it helped to flesh out Rose as a character and added to my ability to empathise with her plight. I was less of a fan of William because hello!!! You’re married you douchebag!!! BUT this made him all the more compelling to read about as I liked seeing his flaws and struggles even though I morally disapproved of his actions. In the 1570s timeline I felt the backstory was a little more difficult to follow. I had limited knowledge of the Ottoman-Venetian War prior to reading this book and at times I really wish I had known more as I’m sure I would have felt a little less lost. I especially found it difficult to understand the roles of the key players within the war scenario and felt that the book needed to be a little clearer as to what the function / role / motivation / personality of each of the supporting characters was. One such character was Corvino. So many tines I was unsure what was allegory and what was truly occurring when he made his on page appearances. However, I really did enjoy the love story between Chiara and Gio. I’m not sure how historically accurate it would have been to have had a courtesan be as educated as Chiara was but it worked in this book. I really liked how she seemed to be so sure of herself, was really witty and smart, and certainly wasn’t a shrinking violet. In many ways Chiara was the type of woman that present timeline Rose was trying to become. And Gio... loved him! I liked how he had this almost innocent quality to him. He gave his heart so openly and freely to Chiara and it just gave me all the warm feels. Overall this was a good book that I would happily recommend to people more interested in love stories rather than historical fiction and adventure. 3.5 stars *An e-copy of this book was kindly provided to me by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

I read this ARC for an honest review All thoughts and opinions are mine This is a new author to me but I shall be looking out for more I absolutely loved this - couldn't put down This is well researched and written. So atmostpheric and vivid Loved the characters and the story I was totally drawn in and absorbed A superb read I rarely give 5 stars and wish I could give it more!!