Lean Fall Stand

Pub Date 29 Apr 2021 | Archive Date Not set
4th Estate, Fourth Estate

‘A beautiful piece of work … it leaves the reader moved and subtly changed, as if she had become part of the story’ Hilary Mantel

The highly anticipated new novel from the Costa-award winning, three-times Booker-longlisted author of Reservoir 13.

When an Antarctic research expedition goes wrong, the consequences are far-reaching – for the men involved and for their families back home.

Robert "Doc" Wright, a veteran of Antarctic field work, holds the clues to what happened, but he is no longer able to communicate them. While Anna, his wife, navigates the sharp contours of her new life as a carer, Robert is forced to learn a whole new way to be in the world.

Award-winning novelist Jon McGregor returns with a stunning novel that mesmerizingly and tenderly unpicks the notion of heroism and explores the indomitable human impulse to tell our stories – even when words fail us.  A meditation on the line between sacrifice and selfishness this is a story of the undervalued, unrecognised courage it can take just to get through the day.

The highly anticipated new...

'Lean Fall Stand is a spectacular book. So moving and delicate and terrifying and haunting; such a skillful evocation of our fragility and strength. I read it again, as soon as I'd finished' Maggie O’Farrell

'Lean Fall Stand is a beautiful piece of work and should win a roomful of prizes. Jon McGregor writes plainly and exactly, like a poet, and the precision of his writing makes every heart-beat register. The quality of his attention is a flicker of light around the fragile human condition, and it leaves the reader moved and subtly changed, as if she had become part of the story' Hilary Mantel

‘Not Many novels take you from a research station in the depths of the Antarctica to a house in the Cambridgeshire countryside just off the A14. Jon McGregor has crafter a unique narrative, encompassing frozen wastes and altered interior landscapes. The opening section is the gripping piee of writing I’ve read in a long time. Sit. Read. Applaud’ Jarvis Cocker

‘A wonderful, gripping novel: horror, heartbreak, hope’ Charlotte Mendelson

'This is a stunning novel. No-one else can plumb the depths beneath the plain surface of each word like Jon McGregor' Andrew McMillan

EDITION Ebook