Burn

The Misunderstood Science of Metabolism

Pub Date 2 Mar 2021 | Archive Date Not set

Talking about this book? Use #Burn #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

'Ground-breaking, fascinating, important . . . we were astounded' Deliciously Ella, Delicious Ways to Feel Better

A myth-busting tour of the body's hidden foundations from a pioneering evolutionary biologist

Over the past twenty years, evolutionary biologist Herman Pontzer has conducted ground-breaking studies across a range of settings, including pioneering fieldwork with Hadza hunter-gatherers in northern Tanzania.

This book draws on his eye-opening research to show how, contrary to received wisdom, exercise does not increase our metabolism. Instead, we burn calories within a very narrow range: nearly 3,000 calories per day, no matter our activity level.

By taking a closer look at what happens to the energy we consume, Pontzer explores the ways in which metabolism controls every aspect of our health - from fertility to immune function - and reveals the truth about the dynamic system that sustains us. Filled with facts and memorable anecdotes, Burn will change the way you think about food, exercise and life.