Blue Spaces

How and Why Water Can Make You Feel Better

Pub Date 7 Sep 2021 | Archive Date 13 May 2021
Welbeck Publishing UK, Welbeck Balance

Talking about this book? Use #BlueSpacesBook #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Why do so many of us feel drawn to water?

Researchers around the globe are increasingly intrigued by our psychological response to blue space: oceans, rivers, lakes, canals and waterfalls. Research is showing that they are good for us, inducing a positive mood and reducing negative feelings.

Many people naturally gravitate towards the nearest blue space for their regular walks. There is an innate soothing qualitythat water brings, whether it’s crashing waves, the gentle lapping beat of the water’s edge or the reflections we see... Water brings on a meditative, 'blue mind' state.

Dr Catherine Kelly uses the study of Blue Mind, a term coined by Dr Wallace Nichols, which explores the study of water and whyit makes us happy, to explore and understand the importance of blue space (water environments) and their therapeutic benefits.Looking at the most up-to-date research and evidence that supports its importance for our wellbeing, she suggests how we can all integrate blue mind practices into our lives, providing examples and exercises that anyone can use to enhance their mental health.

Why do so many of us feel drawn to water?

'A timely read for today's challenges. Catherine Kelly's wise and informed memoir-style narrative helps us understand why blue sp are so valued by swimmers everywhere and offers tools for those seeking wellbeing in a new way'

Ella Foote, Outdoor Swimming Magazine