I Know You

Pub Date 19 Oct 2021 | Archive Date 15 Feb 2022
Amazon Publishing UK, Thomas & Mercer

Talking about this book? Use #IKnowYou #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

In this tense thriller from the bestselling author of What You Did and The Other Wife, a woman finds a dead body. Will she make the same mistake as last time?

When Rachel stumbles upon a body in the woods, she knows what she has to do: run. Get away. Do not be found at the scene. Last time, she didn’t know, and she ended up accused of murder. But when this victim is identified as her boyfriend’s estranged wife, Rachel realises she’s already the prime suspect.

With mounting evidence against her, Rachel’s only hope is to keep the truth about herself well hidden. Because twenty years ago she was someone else—Casey, a young nanny trying to make it as an actress in Los Angeles. When the family she worked for were brutally murdered, all the evidence pointed to her and she went to prison. Back then, she narrowly escaped the death penalty and managed to free herself on appeal. Now she’s fighting to save the life she’s spent years piecing back together.

But with her behaviour raising suspicion and the police closing in, Rachel can’t help wondering: Was her discovery in the woods really just an awful coincidence, or is someone framing her for murder? Someone who knows who she is, and wants revenge…

When Rachel stumbles upon a body in the...

A Note From the Publisher

Claire McGowan was born in 1981 in a small Irish village where the most exciting thing that ever happened was some cows getting loose on the road. She is the author of The Fall, What You Did, The Other Wife, The Push and the acclaimed Paula Maguire crime series. She also writes women’s fiction under the name Eva Woods.

“Gripping, incredibly tense and twisty with real emotional heart.” —Laura Marshall, author of Friend Request

“A totally compelling read. McGowan is brilliant at writing from the point of view of a woman trapped by her own toxic reputation.” —William Shaw, author of the DS Alexandra Cupidi series

ISBN 9781542019972

Send To Kindle (MOBI)

I love all of Claire McGowan's books - she knows how to expertly weave a terrifying scenario into every day life, filled with compelling characters and excellent twists and turns.

Talk about lousy luck, Rachel has stumbled across a dead body, not once, but twice. The first time she was at the scene when police arrived and ended up being a prime suspect. This time she knows she should run, because the body belongs to the estranged wife of her boyfriend, so she’s already a suspect. Her strategy is to keep her past hidden, because twenty years earlier, she was convicted of murdering the family that she was a nanny for. She went to jail for it, barely escaping the death penalty, and when she was released she changed her identity hoping to finally prove her innocence, but now she’s in trouble again. No one will believe she wasn’t involved this time, so Rachel has to find the real killer herself….and she has a pretty good idea where to look

Thank you Thomas & Mercer, NetGalley and Author for this readers ebook copy in return for an honest review! I really enjoyed this book, which had me turning the pages from start to finish. Good twists. this was a gripping read. I enjoyed the characters, thought that it was all just cleverly written. I couldn't imagine being accused of something you didn't do.... Especially murder!. I like to think that it would make someone seriously lose their damn mind! I know it would me! Sheesh!. So I feel for the main character because I couldn't fathom what she is dealing with or feeling! Providing so many angles and different ideas thoroughly added to my enjoyment of this narrative. So compulsively readable and intriguing, I could not put this one down until I knew how it ended. Oh the twists and the turns and the theories that I had, that were all wrong by the way!  Thanks again NetGalley, Publisher and Author for the chance to read and review this amazing book! I'll post to my Social media platforms closer to pub date!

Thank you Thomas & Mercer,and NetGalley for allowing me to read an arc of this book. This book felt really long. Both POVs were in the first person and there was so much description. The story would have been much tighter if some of it had been edited. But,the story was good, if sometimes a bit muddled. and Casey was a great character. Rachel was ok but annoying. The ending took me by surprise - I had a different idea in mind!

A cleverly designed and well executed thriller, I Know You will keep you on the edge of your seat until the truth is finally revealed. Claire McGowan delivers a strong and intriguing novel that makes you feel the pain and desperation of being accused of crimes you didn’t commit. Rachel Caldwell is walking her dog when she stumbles across a dead body in the woods near her home in the British Lake District. While most people would call the police, Rachel’s first instinct is to run away as fast as she can. You see, last time she was found at the scene with dead bodies she was accused and convicted of murdering 3 members of the Safran family for whom she nannied, incarcerated on death row for several years before being exonerated and released. And once the victim is identified, Anna, the estranged wife of her current boyfriend, realizes her instinct was correct since she’s now the prime suspect. Trying to keep her past from coming to light, thinking it’ll make her look even guiltier than the police already believe given the mounting evidence pointing at her, Rachel must figure out on her own what happened to keep herself out of prison once again. There are two aspects to I Know You that work really well. First, it’s how the story goes back and forth between current day and flashbacks. This approach allows for a slow drip of clarity, doling out puzzle pieces one at a time to build suspense while you build your own hypotheses. Which leads to the second great aspect of keeping you guessing all the way until the end. Even when you think you’ve figured it out, the book offers new information that seeds doubt in your mind, leading you to flip flop on your opinion multiple times for who killed Ana and what happened in the Safran home 20 years ago. So even if you actually do figure it out early on in the book, you won’t be sure until the end. It plays games with your mind and makes you question what’s right in front of you. A great trait of a solid murder mystery.

I KNOW YOU follows an interesting pattern of the main character's life. In her early years, she was known by her legal name Casey Adams; after turmoil which landed her in an American prison on death row, she got back to England and began using her middle name Rachel and married surname Caldwell (haven't we all? :wink:) Since Rachel is her present time period name, I'll use that. I felt for Rachel like I did with our real world's Amanda Knox. I cannot imagine how terrifying it would be to end up in prison in a foreign country and on death row no less. Even with a common language, British English and American English differences were enough to cause yet more grief and add to the perceived guilt of poor Rachel. McGowan did a perfect job of bouncing through time from the Casey years to the Rachel years. Casey's nineteen-year-old naïve period as an au pair for a pretentious, high-maintenance Los Angeles couple with two children are chapters of pure muscle-tightening tension. Expect to grind your teeth when reading about Casey trying to deal with a spoiled and abused little girl, Madison, and her anorexic, angry mother Abigail. David, the husband/father, seems like Casey only ally and she dreams of being cast in one of his films. David's drinking and mercurial moods give Casey mixed signals. For such a young woman who was still trying to hold onto her dreams, the family drives her to the brink of collapse. The entire Safran family except for baby Carson is composed of manipulative, self-serving people. When everyone except the baby is murdered, the nanny -- who dared to have social media images of her partying back in England -- was quickly arrested and convicted. The Innocence Project handles her appeal in what the media dubbed The Mary Poppins Murders. The present/later years when going by Rachel, readers are lulled into a false sense of security, but never truly lets her guard down. She is protective of anyone offering her food or drinks. She changes her hair and dresses frumpy to be sure she's never called promiscuous again. Rachel volunteers at a dog shelter where she is truly happy though never relaxed. She falls in love with the wrong man, Alex, and her life falls apart in the worst ways. What are the odds of Rachel stumbling upon yet another dead body? This time, at least she's in her home country but in a quiet, small town. Of course you know she'll be the prime suspect again. What McGowan does that keeps the suspense going is methodically dropping in new potential suspects in the murder of Anna Devine. Where does Jeremy, Rachel's ex-husband and only champion, fit into the equation? Did someone follow Rachel from the US to the UK specifically to frame her again for murder? The ending, not necessarily the reveal of Anna Devine's killer, but the events that unfold are quite surprising. Rachel isn't the only one with a secret identity (to be honest, I figured out this other person easily), but she has to make another decision about whether someone is friend or foe. Then she has to weigh her past, her previous behavior, her experience with the judicial systems (and the public and media) -- and decide what course of action is best. Does Rachel rise to the occasion and face another battle or does she flee? I won't dare spoil that. Rachel represents the average heterosexual woman who makes terrible mistakes in judgment as most of us do at one time or another, especially when only nineteen. She has one friend and yet she doesn't feel connected to him at all. Even Jeremy wanted something from her -- love. No one ever gives Rachel a helping hand simply to be nice. She is weathered and traumatized. As a grown woman, Rachel's dog is honestly the only unconditional love she has and even that gets taken away from her for a while. While I Know You may get on lists for "women's fiction" or "women's reading" or "women in crime" -- Rachel is the type of protagonist that men should read to see this side of what some women want. She can be shallow (a defense mechanism). She can be passionate. Ultimately, it's Rachel's street smarts that keep her alive. Male readers are perhaps used to the "unkillable male hero" like John McClane or Harry Bosch. This portrayal of intimate partner/domestic violence shows all the flaws of the female hero that is often lacking in male counterparts.

I was tempted to mark this down a notch (but only to 4.5) because it took me a few chapters to get into it but decided to ignore that because once I was in there, I enjoyed it very much. There are two stories, Casey's and Rachel's. They are the same person, the former being a younger version of a woman who has a nasty habit of getting accused of murders she didn't commit. I found Casey's story the most compelling of the two but that's not to say that I didn't enjoy what Rachel had to say too. I will look out fro more by this author if this is the standard that I can expect. Many thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Clearly the author is a master of prose and storytelling! Quite an interesting plot and twists. I can appreciate the discussions demonstrating the differences between the UK and the US throughout.

It seems every book or almost every book I read lately has then and now time periods…I prefer remaining in the present time with a general omniscient narrator or told in the first person…the chapters of each person’s viewpoint and the chapters going into the past do not permit a novel to flow…Entertaining…so to speak…this book was sent to me electronically by Netgalley for review…. There is murder and mayhem…intrigue…some romance albeit it not healthy relationships…child abuse…dysfunctional family dynamics…the story is a quick read and guessing early on the murderer is evident…The author is good at her craft when weaving a story together with a plausible ending…

This was a pretty entertaining read! I liked the back and forth between past and present, it gave the storyline some dynamic and kept the reader guessing, although I did figure out the twists and the ending anyway, but I didn't mind that much. Casey was a really fun character and I grew quite attached to her, whereas Rachel was a bit boring. I did like how the storylines came together in the end, I would've liked a bit more from the ending though, just something more shocking and twisted. The plot and pacing itself were good though, although I felt the book was quite long and therefore I sometimes grew a bit bored. I liked the writing style, especially in Casey's POV chapters, it was really dynamic and easy to read and probably the reason I finished this in one sitting. I might look at other books of this author, I really liked how the story was delivered.

Good book!! Wow I felt so bad for the main character! Although she wasn't as innocent as I thought lol thus book had suspense, intrigue, and a great who done it! So many twists and turns! I'm usually really good at guessing the bad guy but this book took me a while to figure everything out! I definitely recommend reading this one! Its well worth reading! Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for sharing this book with me!

(Thank you Amazon Publishing UK and NetGalley for providing me an ARC of this book in exchange for my review.) i say this all the time: i’m not a fan of flashbacks but i really enjoyed them in this one. i think i preferred reading casey’s POV more than rachel, but i was equally interested in both mysteries. the story was suspenseful