Food by Fire

Grilling and BBQ with Derek Wolf of Over the Fire Cooking

Pub Date 25 May 2021 | Archive Date 26 May 2021

Talking about this book? Use #FoodbyFire #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

In Food by Fire, join live fire cooking expert Derek Wolf to discover the secrets to great flavor.

Derek has been researching global fire-cooking techniques for the better part of a decade, traveling around the world to learn about dishes like lamb al asador and brick-pressed chicken. He shares it all in this book. If you’re looking to try cooking on the coals with herb butter oysters or picanha like a Brazilian steakhouse, you’ve come to the right place. Recipes include:  Herb Brush Basted Bone-In RibeyeLeaning Salmon Plank with Lemon Dill SauceAl Pastor Skewered TacosCoal Roasted Lobster Tails Dirty Chipotle NY StripsSpicy Rotisserie Beef RibsSalt-Baked Red SnapperCharred and Glazed Pineapple On top of all that, you’ll find recipes for killer sides like Grilled Bacon-Wrapped Asparagus, Cowboy-Broiled Cheesy Broccoli, and Charred Brussel Sprouts, as well as unique sauces like Spicy Cilantro Chimichurri and Maple Bourbon Glaze. It’s everything you need to cook your next meal by fire.

This is a good cookbook as well as an interesting read. The first portion of the book discusses the cooking methods and the second (much larger) if full of yummy recipes and mouthwatering pictures. I can’t wait to try the bacon-wrapped maple bourbon chicken skewers!

Date reviewed/posted: April 15, 2021 Publication date: May 25, 2021 When life for the entire galaxy and planet has turned on its end, you are continuing to #maskup and #lockdown to be in #COVID19 #socialisolation as the #thirdwave ( #fourthwave #fifthwave?) is upon us, superspeed readers like me can read 300+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book … and many more today. I requested and received a temporary digital Advance Reader Copy of this book from #NetGalley, the publisher and the author in exchange for an honest review. From the publisher, as I do not repeat the contents or story of books in reviews, I let them do it as they do it better than I do 😸. In Food by Fire, join live-fire cooking expert Derek Wolf to discover the secrets to great flavour. Master the art of starting cooking fires and learn about the best fuel sources. Then tackle a variety of recipes using direct heat and indirect heat, mastering skillets, skewers, and more along the way. Derek has been researching global fire-cooking techniques for the better part of a decade, travelling around the world to learn about dishes like lamb al asador and brick-pressed chicken. He shares it all in this book. If you’re looking to try cooking on the coals with herb butter oysters or picanha like a Brazilian steakhouse, you’ve come to the right place. Recipes include: ***Herb Brush Basted Bone-In Ribeye ***Leaning Salmon Plank with Lemon Dill Sauce ***Al Pastor Skewered Tacos ***Coal Roasted Lobster Tails ***Dirty Chipotle NY Strips ***Spicy Rotisserie Beef Ribs ***Salt-Baked Red Snapper ***Charred and Glazed Pineapple On top of all that, you’ll find recipes for killer sides like Grilled Bacon-Wrapped Asparagus, Cowboy-Broiled Cheesy Broccoli, and Charred Brussel Sprouts, as well as unique sauces like Spicy Cilantro Chimichurri and Maple Bourbon Glaze. It’s everything you need to cook your next meal by fire. I do not have a fire to cook by but we are saving up for a Little Green Egg (propane is banned in our building after a "small incident" not related to me) but I think that I can make a lot of these recipes indoors as well, as could you or be made on a gas-fired grill. (that pineapple is calling my name...I may just need to make it at my parent's!) The recipes are well written and understandable by cooks of all levels and the photos make the food very appealing to myself and other lovers of food out there, whether it be for Father's Day or a wedding gift. What I especially love about the book is that it uses mostly whole ingredients instead of pre-prepared and packaged foods. I do draw the line at making my own cheese beyond a quickly-made mozzarella, and canning tomatoes but the more "ingredients" you use the better. My one nephew says that I never have any food in my house, only ingredients --- that is why I cook so much. I also refuse to eat or cook with Frankenfoods such as "chick'n" and its 88 ingredients vs. 🐔chicken🐔 having one and cheese that does not come from an animal is udder nonsense!) I cannot think of a Brazilian steak house ever again without the scene in "Bridesmaids" however...lolololol. Wrap this book up with some grill ware and it is a perfect gift for the griller in your life. As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I simply adore emojis (outside of their incessant use by "🙏-ed Social Influencer Millennials/#BachelorNation survivors/Tik-Tok and YouTube Millionaires/snowflakes / literally-like-overusers etc. " on Instagram and Twitter... Get a real job, people!) so let's give it 🥩🍖🥩🍖🥩

As the author Derek Wolf says in his introduction, food cooked over fire is rustic and natural. To me it means camping or at the very least being outdoors. It's primal and casual. Time loses significance. I like that Wolf tells his readers how he got into this method of cooking and why he does it. The unpredictable nature of fire makes it a bit more challenging, in a good way. Who isn't mesmerized by flames? The photography is just...how does one even describe it?...salivatory. Not only does Wolf explain equipment needed, he discusses types of cooking over fire (direct, indirect), the importance of checking internal temperature including a handy chart, types of wood, building a fire, using a skillet and the hanging and leaning technique which is of particular interest to me as I still have not tried it. But now am inspired. You will learn about herb brushes, how to clean cast iron skillets, cooking in salt, how to truss a chicken, seasoning blends, grilling vs. barbecue and a fascinating story of the inception of the Wolf Burger! Amongst the recipes I am happily planning to try are Honey Espresso-Glazed Pork Chops, Sweet Adobo Chicken Wings, Sweet and Spicy Glazed Scallops, Campfire Hot Salmon, Charred and Glazed Pineapple (this will be my first try at this...looks absolutely delectable), Smoked Pork Belly Burnt Ends and Caramelized Carrots. I am a marinade/brine/rub fanatic so am happy to see them in this book along with herb butters. I know what we will be having for dinner tomorrow. Anyone interested in learning how to cook over a fire or those who have done it for ages, do pick up this inspiring book. It is pretty wonderful. My sincere thank you to Quarto Publishing Group - Harvard Common Press and NetGalley for the privilege of reading (and drooling on) the e-ARC of this remarkable book.

Food by Fire is unlike any cookbook I've ever read. It's a great how-to manual of how to use heat both directly and indirectly in your cooking. The book does a great job of showing different meals to cook and doesn't focus solely on beef. I especially loved all of the sides and vegetables. Each recipe is carefully explained for the average home cook and paired with a gorgeous image of the perfect meal. 5/5 Stars Thank you to NetGalley and Quarto Publishing Group – Harvard Common Press for providing me with an e-arc of this cookbook in exchange for an honest review.

This is an amazing cookbook. I could go on and on about how terrific the recipes and photos are (and they really are. The grilled veggies even look amazing) but to me that’s only a bonus of this book. The real star is the beginning section were the author gives all the information of the fire and the checking temperatures (of both the fire and food). I feel like that lesson is missing in so many other cookbooks and the author is very thorough. Now if you will excuse me I’m off to make my weight the Steakhouse Herb Butter recipe.

Food by Fire by Derek Wolf is a free NetGalley ebook that I read in late May. Meaty main course recipes chaptered according to cooking method, followed by side dishes, sauces, and marinades - there's a great use of photography to highlight a careful step or task within a recipe, plus a rarely-seen segment on hanging/leaning grilling.