30 Minute Mowgli

Fast Easy Indian from the Mowgli Home Kitchen

Pub Date 14 Dec 2021 | Archive Date 2 Nov 2021
Watkins, Nourish

Talking about this book? Use #30MinuteMowgli #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Sampler only.

Spice-packed, punchy, fresh Indian-inspired dishes to get on the table in 30 minutes or under. This is the food that Nisha Katona, TV chef and creator and face of the Mowgli Indian restaurants, cooks at home – super speedy, made with easily sourced ingredients, and delivering big, bold flavours.

This is the food that Nisha Katona cooks at home: punchy and delicious Mowgli-style recipes that take you from couch to curry in 30 minutes or less. As at Mowgli, the focus is on food that's big in flavour but also light, healthy and made from accessible ingredients, often just using what's already in your cupboard or fridge. When Nisha started sharing her ideas for a new cookery book encapsulating this approach on her Mowgli Instagram channel during the spring 2020 lockdown, she was thrilled by the hugely positive response.

For super usability, the chapters are themed around ingredients: "Poultry", "Meat", "Fish" and "Vegetables", with a desserts chapter as well as one called "Ma, Look Away!" – for Nisha's favourite pasta dishes. Tantalize your tastebuds with “Quick Angry Tandoori” or “Yoghurt Coriander Turkey”, “Gingerbread Lamb Steaks” or “Keema Toasties”, “Bengali Fish Curry” or “Indian Fish Finger Sandwiches”, “Back of the Fridge Curry” or “Million Dollar Green Dahl”. All the recipes are meals that range from light lunches to substantial dinners; all you need to do is accompany them with one of the simple sides suggested in the introduction, which could be rice, noodles, potatoes or a chapati wrap. This is the food that real people want: tasty and nutritious meals to whip up without fuss while juggling work and childcare in an often chaotic working-from-home environment.

Sampler only.

From what I could tell, after a quick skim through the book, which I intend to use as a reference book for recipes later, these recipes are absolutely delicious, and they inspired me to add the ingredients that were missing to my shopping list. Thank you to netgalley and the publishers for giving me a copy of the book.

I bought my daughter the Mowgli Street Food book for Christmas because, having been to the restaurant in Liverpool, she was raving about the food. She has used the book continuously and treated me to several delicious meals. So I was very keen to take a peek at this new book. The review copy was only a sample but I like the author's ethos set out in the introduction. This book is about not having to spend too much time in the kitchen preparing meals but still producing flavoursome food. Also, it is not just about saving time but reducing waste and using leftovers. From the sample of recipes given, I already feel inspired. This is definitely a recipe book I would buy for myself and also as a gift for others.

Date reviewed/posted: September 7, 2021 Publication date: November 9, 2021 Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read and review an advanced reader's copy of this book. This in no way affects my review, all opinions are my own. I am a serious fan of "clean out the fridge salad" so the mere idea of “Back of the Fridge Curry” made me want to make this recipe...but there was no rice in the house as we are doing a "clean out the fridge and larder" project. So, we had it on orzo which is kind of like rice and firmly in the realm of the ideology of this book. My only complaint about the book is that there were only 224 pages... I could have done WITH at least double or triple that! The recipes are well written and understandable by cooks of all levels and the photos make the food very appealing to myself and other lovers of food out there and the recipes are very adaptable to hot food wimps like me. I especially love the book because it uses mostly whole ingredients instead of pre-prepared and packaged foods. My husband says that I never have any food in the house, only ingredients --- that is why I cook so much. I also refuse to eat or cook with Frankenfoods such as "chick'n" and its 88 ingredients vs. 🐔chicken🐔 having one and cheese that does not come from an animal is udder nonsense!) I will highly recommend this book to friends, family, patrons, and people reading books in the park as we do … I have had some of my best conversations about books and food down by the Thames! As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I simply adore emojis (outside of their incessant use by "🙏-ed Social Influencer Millennials/#BachelorNation survivors/Tik-Tok and YouTube Millionaires/snowflakes / literally-like-overusers etc. ") on Instagram and Twitter... Get a real job, people!) so let's give it 🥘🥘🥘🥘🥘

What is in this book is stellar. I love the author's preface, contrasting what he makes in the restaurant and what he makes for himself and his family. My main issue is the table of contents suggest the book is much longer than what I could read with my editions. Not sure if there was a technology issue or not.

This is my ideal type of cook book: recipes that are easy to follow and provide quick, flavourful meals.

The premise of this book is to produce tasty dishes in a short space of time. There's no compromise on flavour. We tried the mango sauce for mackerel. It was delicious and definitely one we'd make again and again. The descriptions are clear and easy to follow, I could hear Nisha speaking in my ear. I'm looking forward to trying more recipes.

Thanks to NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review this book. Loved it. So many wonderful recipes for tasty food that can be prepared quickly. Well presented and very easy to follow. Happily continuing testing out all of the dishes!

Easy to follow and really appetizing recipes. Loved it. All the recipes can be done in 30 minute or less. The photos look amazing, perfect to make you dream of all the recipes presented in the book.