The Secret Halloween Costume

With 2-Way Sequins!

Pub Date 16 Aug 2021 | Archive Date Not set
Chouette Publishing, CrackBoom! Books

Talking about this book? Use #TheSecretHalloweenCostume #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

A Halloween story for little ones!

Charlotte is a young witch. For Halloween, her family insists she must wear her darkest clothes and scariest makeup. After all, a witch must be spooky! But Charlotte doesn't want to follow tradition - she wants to wear something that reflects who she is. She asks her grandmother to sew her a secret costume... But what will it be?

An adorable Halloween story about an enthusiastic little witch who follows her heart and inspires others to do the same!

A Halloween story for little ones!

A Note From the Publisher

Please note that Illustrated titles sometimes do not display correctly on certain devices. Please contact support@netgalley.com if you are experiencing technical difficulties.

This is a sweet Halloween story about wanting to express yourself and break the mould! The illustrations are lovely, and this would be a great book to read to kids/students around Halloween. The writing gives the chance to introduce/discuss new words such as tradition, discouraged, etc. The story encourages people to be themselves and support one another. Good read!

This was the perfect Halloween set up for children. I as an adult adored the little fictional world created by this author in this cute fictional setting. Halloween is always a very fun time in the community and since we’re only one month away from that exact holiday, I thought it would be fun to gear up in to something that’ll come like this in the Halloween spirit, 5/5 stars!

I loved this story about little Charlotte. It teaches kids to be their own person and do what they want to do and be who they want to be! I would definitely read this story to my kids at this time of year. I can never pass up a cute Halloween book.

Charlotte doesn't want to be something spooky for halloween, even though it's tradition. She comes up with a plan to be something unscary. I read this to my 7 yr old and she absolutely loved it!

First of all, I'd like to thank NetGalley and the publisher for providing me an ARC of this book in exchange of an honest review. The Secret Halloween Costume by Sophie Vaillancurt is a short story about Charlotte, a young witch who doesn't want to wear a scary costume for Halloween. This book teaches children that they have to be themselves and make choices on their own, and it serves as a good bedtime story.

My daughter and I loved this children's book, which was so much fun to read. The book is about a young witch called Charlotte who wants to change what she wears for Halloween, from her costume being traditionally scary, to something that is more light and fun. Her grandmother sews her a new, secret costume, which she loves and this inspires her friends to follow their hearts too. The book has amazing illustrations and it is just so cute. My daughter now can't wait for Halloween, so that she can dress up and have lots of Halloween fun! Many thanks to the author, publisher and NetGalley for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This is a cute little book about a little witch who doesn't know what she wants to be for Halloween. She knows that she is expected to be a wicked wish, but she just wants to be something not scary this year. How will she figure out what to be? This was so adorable. I really loved the story. Charlotte was adorable. The art was also really great. I loved the vividness of the colors!

An enjoyable short story about tradition and being yourself, like Charlotte did after being encouraged by her grandmother. The illustrations are appealing too.

Thank you netgalley and the publisher for this arc in exchange for my honest review. This is a really cute story about a witch who doesn't want to be scary for Halloween, despite it being tradition. I love that it teaches young children the importance of being themselves and listening to their own hearts. The illustrations are wonderful as well. I loved the black cats and the pumpkins.

This is a cute Halloween story about a little witch who doesn't want to be scary. Tradition is that witches are scary, especially on Halloween. However, Charlotte doesn't want to wear a scary costume. With the help of her grandmother, a witch who marches to the neat of her own drum, Charlotte will discover she can be whoever she wants to be. The art is fine, colorful which is nice. The font is easy to read and the story is nice.

Halloween is my favorite day of the year, so I was excited to give this book a look. This story is really cute and teaches children about the importance of individuality and following their heart. I really loved the art in this book. It is so vibrant with super eye-catching, lively illustrations. Where can I get a dress like the one Charlotte's mom wears? I definitely recommend this book.

Charlotte is a young witch. As Halloween approaches, she does not want to follow her family tradition of dressing as a scary witch. Can she do something different? What costumes will she reject? What plan will she carry out? What is the message of this holiday story for young children? Add this to your list if you are looking for stories about independent girls this October. Many thanks to NetGalley and the publisher. All opinions are my own.

The Secret Halloween Costume is a fun and lovely tale of breaking free of social norms. Little witches can explore their own interests and wants to become something unique and beautiful. This book is beautifully illustrated and perfect for the child in your life, especially around the Halloween season. One aspect I truly enjoy is that the witches portrayed in the book are not old and green, but they are normal people just like you and me. It helps children realize that it's what's on the inside that matters and you can be what you want to be. I highly recommend this book for a Halloween Gift!

I received an advance copy of, The Secret Halloween Costume, by Sophie Vaillancourt. This is a really cute story for kids. Charlotte does not want to be scary, and thats ok.

Thank you to CrackBoom books, Chouette Publishing - Calliou, and NetGalley for an ARC of The Secret Halloween Costume in exchange for an honest review. The Secret Halloween Costume is a sweet book about a little witch named Charlotte who wants to break with tradition of being a scary witch for Halloween and dress up in a costume that suits her better. The illustrations are cute, and the story of being true to oneself, even if it means breaking with tradition, is great for little readers.

Very cute little book with adorable illustrations. I really like the moral of being yourself mixed in with the fun of a Halloween themed story. Would make a great gift for the little ones for Halloween.

I’m so happy we are finally in that time of year where halloween books, movies and decorations are starting to show up, even though we’re only in September I’m already planning to immerse myself in all things spook. It was really wonderful to start with this cute short book. Charlotte is tired of always dressing as a scary witch for halloween even if it’s the tradition, she doesn’t want to spook people anymore so with the help of her two best friends and her grandmother she searches for a costume that will make her feel good and more herself. First of all, I loved the art, it has all things halloween, pumpkins, ghosts, black cats and of course witches, I’m sure the kids are going to love looking at the pictures and trying to find the little hidden details. The story too was really cute and the message of breaking the mold and finding what makes you feel good it’s so very important. This was a very educative and aesthetically pleasing book, definitely worth buying for the kids. “Thank you netgalley and the publisher for this arc in exchange for my honest review”

This book was so fun! Charlotte is a young witch and for Halloween tradition says she should dress as a scary witch for Halloween, but Charlotte doesn't want to be scary. With the help of friends and family she comes up with a great alternative. I think this book sends a really great message for kids to be their true selves even if it is not what is expected of them. I will definitely be recommending this book to our school library. The illustrations were also stunning, bright and bold colour and adorable drawings.

The Secret Halloween Costume is a sweet book that is about listening to your heart and doing what you feel is right. Young witch Charlotte is sick of dressing up as a scary witch every Halloween. When she wishes to break from tradition her mother insists that dressing scary is what a good witch always does. With the help of her friends and grandmother, Charlotte is able to be what she truly want a to be for Halloween and also helps her classmates do the same. This book was really cute and shared a great message for children about being yourself. The illustrations were bright and colorful and the font was large enough for story time. This book is perfect for Halloween time and for any little witches who love Halloween year round. Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for an eARC.

This was such an adorable book with such a great message for kids - being true to yourself is the best way to be! I would definitely read this with/to the kids in my life.

This is such an adorable story! I love how the author expresses the meaning of finding and being your true self even if everyone else is different. And the illustrations are honestly so beautiful! What a wonderful book!

This was a cute read. Charlotte doesn't want to dress up as a witch this Halloween and wants to change tradition. I really enjoyed it and as I'm working at school I think it's a really good one for children.

Charlotte doesn't want to be scary for Halloween, but it is tradition for witches to wear frightening costumes, as she is told by her parents and friends. Will she be able to find a costume she really wants to wear? The message in this book about being true to yourself and enjoying Halloween however you want is positive and fun. I like the touch of having the quirky grandmother in a colorful house with an orange cat and butterflies instead of bats as a role model for Charlotte to be herself. The illustrations are super cute, rounded and colorful, and I especially love the playground with the spiderweb swings and the slide, as well as the adorable little bats being fed like birds by the old man and the fat, fluffy cats. This is a great, non-spooky story that is perfect for little kids who don't like scary but still want to feel included or just want to switch it up with a little non-nightmarish fun to kick off the Halloween season! Note: I received a free copy of this book from NetGalley. I was not compensated in any other fashion for the review and the opinions reflected below are entirely my own. Special thanks to the publisher and author for providing the copy.

Charlotte does not want to be a scary witch for Halloween this year, but she is afraid to break the tradition until she finds a roll of shiny material in her friend Ruby's attic. Can Ruby be brave and wear a different costume, and help her friends be brave, too? This book has wonderful illustrations that kids will love, with even the scariest costumes rendered in a fluffy, cute way. The story also reminds us that just because "that's the way we always do it" can be important, it is also important to listen to ourselves and do what is best for us. (the kindle file, however, is a HOT MESS and needs to be looked at and redone)

This book was ok. I liked the overall message and the story had rich vocabulary, but something was lacking. The illustrations were lovely and it was a fun book for Halloween. Best for ages 5-8.

The holiday season has arrived, and I am ready for it! The back to school supplies were still in demand when my family began to plan for Halloween. I'm making the Thanksgiving menu, and have begun to read Christmas stories while I start shopping for presents while I impatiently wait for each holiday to arrive. My children are in the spirit as well, as we have begun to decorate our house. This means, it is also time to pull down our holiday books! Out TODAY is a book I happily added to our holiday book selection - The Secret Halloween Costume by Sophie Vaillancourt. Breaking the idea that Halloween should only be scary is something that my daughter has done every year. She hates the scary aspects, but loves the fun of dressing up and playing with her friends. Seeing a little witch have the same feelings as her, really spoke to her and she asked me to read this story to her 3 times in a row. My son loved seeing all of the pictures and began running through the house shouting that he wanted to be a ghost for Halloween. I loved the message this story shared with children. Follow your heart, and you cannot go wrong!

For Halloween Charlotte is expected to be a scary witch. Her heart is not into being spooky and frightful. With the help of her friends and quirky grandmother she comes up with an idea. This book is about a little girl who doesn't follow what's expected of her and decides to follow her heart. With eye-catching illustrations this book is a fun read for all children who love Halloween and dressing up. Thank you Netgalley and Chouette Publishing/Crackboom! Books for the opportunity to read this book.

The Secret Halloween Costume is a sweet picture book that shows the power of individualization and how your own voice can enact change. A story of a little witch named Charlotte who doesn’t want to dress scary for Halloween but feels the pressure of tradition. With the help of Charlotte’s grandmother, she finds a costume that showcases Charlotte unique personality. A gentle Halloween story that proves how Halloween has a place for all types of costumes. Thanks to Chouette Publishing and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are my own.

This was too too cute! Perfect just in time for Halloween! I love that Charlotte wanted to be herself even though that made her different and how accepting everyone was. This book showed that it's okay to not follow "tradition" if its not who you really are!

Charlotte speaks up when she feels that a Halloween tradition should change. With the help of her Grandmother, she changes the minds of many in order to create a new tradition that they all enjoy!

A sweet and delightful story of halloween for the little ones. It's quick and easy to be read in an easy way, and with clear narrative. Enjoyed!

The Secret Halloween Costume follows a young witch named Charlotte. Charlotte is told by her mother that it’s a tradition to be scary on Halloween. However, Charlotte doesn’t want to follow that tradition and wants to try something different. I enjoyed the illustrations in this book. Each page was filled with vibrant colors and great attention to detail. This story inspires young children to follow their heart regardless of norms and traditions.

Charlotte wants to be herself this year at Halloween and not follow the little witches' traditions. She doesn't want to dress scary for Halloween. Everyone discourages her from bucking tradition. Everyone that is except Grandma Lily. Grandma Lily is a little different herself and she doesn't always follow traditions herself. So Lily enlist her help with her Halloween costume this year. So Halloween arrives and Charlotte does not have on scary make up. She announces she didn't want to be scary this year she is Super Charlotte. She then takes other costumes out of her bag to share with her classmates. Everyone should be able to be what they want for Halloween. And a new tradition was born.

The Secret Halloween Costume is a really sweet story that, encourages children to be themselves and to have the confidence to not follow the crowd if they don't want to. Being different is great and I love how much this book emphasises that. Charlotte's secret Halloween costume was a very well kept secret, nobody in our house guessed what it would be. The book is a nice length that can be read in one go (but would also be fine to read in parts) and the illustrations are really gorgeous - the kind where you spot something new every time you look at them.

Deciding what Halloween costume to wear can be one of the most challenging decisions little ones make every year, but what about if you were an actual witch? In The Secret Halloween Costume by Sophie Vaillancourt, Little Charlotte is a witch, and with Halloween fast approaching, everyone is getting ready to wear their scariest witch outfits because that’s what tradition dictates. However, Charlotte doesn’t want to be scary, she wants to wear something different that reflects who she really is. After a little help from her friends, Charlotte secretly approaches her eccentric grandmother with a proposal. But can her grandma help Charlotte find a costume she really loves in time for the big day? The Secret Halloween Costume by Sophie Vaillancourt is a really sweet story about defying traditions and ignoring expectations when they don’t suit who you are. Young readers will hopefully find a valuable lesson here that will help them find their own voice when being pressured into choices that make them uncomfortable or that simply don’t fit who they are—something even many adults struggle with.

I love that the main character does not feel the need to do what has always been done and dances to the beat of her own drum. This is a great message in a book with lovely illustrations! A wonderful story to share with kids around Halloween.

Review to come in a few days on goodreads/blog. I received this book from Netgalley in exchange of an honest review. While I have read a few Halloween books in this past week, sorry, I couldn't resist. This one is my second real Halloween book (I read a manga earlier today). I definitely could use some cute book, because I am also watching a movie next to this and the movie is scary! In this adorable and fun picture book we meet a little witch named Charlotte. This year she isn't looking forward to Halloween and when we learn why I could totally understand! I mean, I get that it is tradition, but isn't Halloween supposed to be fun as well? Having to be a scary witch is fun for a year, but each year? I can imagine that Charlotte wants something different! Something special! Something even more fun! I loved how she had the support of her peers/friends and even her grandma helped out with something awesome! I loved the day of Halloween and how brave Charlotte was to just dress up as what she wanted to be. I won't spoil her costume, but I just adored it, especially when she kept her hat but added something fresh to it. [spoiler]And while I loved what happened after that... I did feel it was a bit too magical. Look I am happy, but I cannot believe a tradition is thrown away so easily. It just never that easy. I know this is a book and so I can forgive it a bit. And I guess it does have to end happy. But I would have liked more of the adults reaction. I also guess I am just too old to still believe things can be that easily resolved. I am sure if I was the age group I would have been very happy and didn't care about the rest. [/spoiler] The art was very cute and I like the style! All in all, despite the ending that was a bit too easy, I still had tons of fun reading this. Go Charlotte! Follow your heart~

A cute little book about a little witch not wanting to be scary for Halloween. And she finds a solution to her issue.