The Blue Book of Nebo

Pub Date 6 Jan 2022 | Archive Date 5 Jan 2022

Talking about this book? Use #TheBlueBookofNebo #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

In this prize-winning YA crossover novel, Manon Steffan Ros not only explores the human capacity to find new strengths when faced with the need to survive, but also questions the structures and norms of the contemporary world.

Dylan was six when The End came, back in 2018; when the electricity went off for good, and the 'normal' 21st century world he knew disappeared.

Now he's 14 and he and his mam have survived in their isolated hilltop house above the village of Nebo in north-west Wales, learning new skills, and returning to old ways of living.

Despite their close understanding, the relationship between mother and son changes subtly as Dylan must take on adult responsibilities. And they each have their own secrets, which emerge as, in turn, they jot down their thoughts and memories in a found notebook - the Blue Book of Nebo.

'A curiously sweet-tempered novel that finds the upside of global catastrophe.' Kirkus Review

'A spare and intimate story of a family surviving a near-future global apocalypse .. In a time rife with and ripe for stories of the end, this one stands out.' Publishers Weekly

'A spare and intimate story of a family surviving a near-future global apocalypse .. In a time rife with...

EDITION Paperback
ISBN 9781913102784

I received an early digital copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. The Blue Book of Nebo - this book has been on my radar for some time. When I was learning Welsh a few years ago I was intrigued by the original Welsh book but never quite felt confident enough to read it. When I discovered the English adaptation I knew that I had to read it. I was not disappointed - told as a dual narrative through the voices of Dylan and his mother The Blue Book of Nebo explores their lives and relationship with each other after The End has come. Full of big questions and emotion this book makes the reader think long and hard as you question what are society really is and how things can change in an instant. A book that should be read not just by young adults but those of us who are maybe a little bit older as well.