Year of the Reaper

Pub Date 9 Nov 2021 | Archive Date 9 Nov 2021

Talking about this book? Use #YearoftheReaper #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

The past never forgets . . .

'I love the magic Lucier weaves through this dark yet hopeful tale. I devoured it in one sitting!' Kristin Cashore, author of the New York Times bestselling Graceling Realm books

Three years ago, Lord Cassia disappeared in the midst of war, on a mission entrusted to him by the king. Since then, a devastating plague has swept the land, leaving countless dead and the kingdom forever altered.

Having survived a rotting prison cell and a merciless illness, Cas, now eighteen, wants only to return to his home in the mountains and forget past horrors. But home is not what he remembers. His castle has become a refuge for the royal court. And they have brought their enemies with them.

When an assassin targets those closest to the queen, Cas is drawn into a search for a killer... one that leads him to form an unexpected bond with a brilliant young historian named Lena. Cas and Lena soon realize that who is behind the attacks is far less important than why. They must look to the past, following the trail of a terrible secret - one that could threaten the kingdom's newfound peace and plunge it back into war.

'A beautifully crafted novel containing everything I love in an epic fantasy: complex characters and relationships, excellent worldbuilding, and a compelling story full of twists and turns. The central characters, with their strengths and flaws, feel entirely real' Juliet Marillier, author of the Blackthorn & Grim and Warrior Bards series

The past never forgets . . .

So far this year, there have been only two books I’ve read that I’ve finished an ARC of, and then immediately gone away to preorder. This is the second of those books. (The first, for anyone curious, was Courtney Gould’s The Dead and the Dark.) Let me start with some context. I’ve spent the last couple of years steadily realising that YA is… no longer for me, shall we say? There’ve been countless books I’ve read that have bored me to death. I’ve skimmed hundreds of pages, I’ve vowed to give up many times. But sometimes? Sometimes all that becomes worth it. That’s how Year of the Reaper felt. I opened the book up, and within a few pages, I was fully absorbed. It’s cliché—and also somewhat pointless on my part to say, when I read a lot of books like this, for varying reasons—but I read it in a single sitting because I simply couldn’t put it down. Everything from the worldbuilding, to the mystery, to the characters themselves kept me turning page after page. I didn’t want it to end (so. Maybe Cas and Lena can reinvent themselves as investigators? Just a thought, Ms. Lucier). I think what makes this book great, to me, is the combination of all its factors: world, character, and mystery, the last of which starts quite slowly, so the former two are very important. All of it leapt off the page, coming to life very vividly. Perhaps the clearest of the characters was Cas, as the protagonist, but he was surrounded by a vibrant cast too. And some of the backstories of those secondary characters made me desperate to know more about them and this world. The mystery is also very well done. It’s kind of drip-fed to you for the first half, in a way that leaves you intrigued and waiting to know more, and then it’s steadily (or. Not that steadily, hahahahaha) ratcheted up in the second half. As more and more things come to light, you think you know who is behind it all, but whatever assumptions you make are smashed with glee by the author. I thought I had it sussed, but then the twist came, and it was one of those ones that genuinely makes your heart start racing. So if this book is not on your radar yet, all I can ask is that you put it there right away. I enjoy so few YA fantasies that, whenever I find one I do love, I have to shove it down everyone’s throats. Also I would really just like a five years later epilogue. For reasons.

I really loved Year of the Reaper! It's a great YA Fantasy read and I absolutely adored the characters, especially Cas and Ventillas they had the best sibling relationship! Another one of my favourite things about Year of the Reaper was definitely the murder mystery elements. All in all this book was amazing and I highly recommend it! Thank you netgalley and the publishers for giving me the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest review.

Thanks to Netgalley and Hodder & Stoughton for providing this eARC. I will read the book as soon as possible and leave a review.