Other Parents

Pub Date 20 Jan 2022 | Archive Date Not set

Talking about this book? Use #OtherParents #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

They all have opinions.They all have secrets.

‘PTA politics, school gate tensions, the perils of living in a small town where everyone knows your business – both funny and engaging while tackling some serious stuff.’ Jane Fallon

‘Cringe-inducing, agonising, truthful, heartbreaking and hilarious.’ Janice Hallett, bestselling author of The Appeal

‘Funny, moving, insightful and so sharp on the politics of the school gate and beyond.' Laura Marshall, bestselling author of Friend Request

In a small town like West Burntridge, it should be impossible to keep a secret.

Rachel Saunders knows gossip is the price you pay for a rural lifestyle and outstanding schools. The latest town scandal is her divorce – and the fact that her new girlfriend has moved into the family home.

Laura Spence lives in a poky bedsit on the wrong side of town. She and her son Max don’t really belong, and his violent tantrums are threatening to expose the very thing she’s trying to hide.

When the local school introduces a new inclusive curriculum, Rachel and Laura find themselves on opposite sides of a fearsome debate.

But the problem with having your nose in everyone else’s business is that you often miss what is happening in your own home.

What readers are saying about Other Parents

'This is definitely a contender for the best book I have read this year'

'I genuinely couldn't put this book down! I was completely engrossed'

'I could see this being loved by anyone who liked Little Fires Everywhere or Big Little Lies'

‘Beautifully written and the characters are just so realistic and relatable’

‘This was like watching an amazing Netflix drama’

They all have opinions.They all have secrets.

EDITION Ebook

This is definitely a contender for the best book I have read this year. It was gripping and really evoked the imagery of a playground mafia that it enabled me to imagine just how tyrannical it could be. I found it both claustrophobic in areas and moving in others and I didnt know what to believe or who to believe. It was twist after twist right until the very end and even then I didnt really know whether i trusted anyone or anything. It is such a great book, I loved it.

Rachel and her new partner, Erin, appear to have it all: they're deeply in love, live in a beautiful house, and have interesting jobs. However, Rachel's three children, or at least two of them, aren't happy about the new relationship. They manage to muddle along until Maia, the elder daughter catches them having sex on the kitchen floor. This, along with homophobic parents starting a campaign against the new inclusive sex curriculum at the local primary school, brings more upset into their lives than they'd like. It's nothing compared to the shocks that are awaiting them. Sarah Stovell has created a really good set of complex characters. Not all are fully rounded, the head of the PTA is a little bit cliched for example but for the most part they are sympathetically drawn and like all good characters have their good and bad points. Stovell also deals very well with the issue of sexual consent and does so in a sensitive manner. Although parts of this book were very dark I enjoyed this novel and will seek out more from the author. Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the ARC.