Christmas with Hamish

A Contemporary Romance for the Holiday Season

Pub Date 1 Nov 2021 | Archive Date 30 Nov 2021

Talking about this book? Use #ChristmaswithHamish #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Christmas has never been the most wonderful time of the year for Verity Robinson. When her younger sister sends her an invite to her Christmas wedding on the other side of the country in Vancouver, she decides to kill two birds with one stone and plans a ski trip to Whistler with some old friends. However, her dreams of a snowy Christmas on skis are thwarted by her sister’s dog sitting crisis.

Instead of spending Christmas enjoying the après ski alcohol, she is instead stuck minding Hamish McDuff for the next week. They say that every cloud has a silver lining and for Verity the silver lining comes in the guise of her sexy new neighbour, Nikau Taylor. Nikau seems determined to help Verity eradicate her ghosts of Christmas past, but what will happen when her time is up and it’s time to go home to Toronto?

ISBN 9798201623746

Send To Kindle (MOBI)

This was a lovely, fun holiday read. If you are looking for something light to get you in the Christmas spirit, this is the book for you, especially if you love dogs! It was a quick read, which is often all you want in a Christmas book, but it was definitely one I would read again. I enjoyed the two main characters and their romance was sweet and fulfilling with a lovely HEA ending. A little bit of family conflict in this one, but nothing too gut-wrenching. Just an all-round sweet read. Highly recommended.

I really liked this book! It’s not what I expected based on the cover, it’s a cute Christmas romance with dogs! It’s a quick read that I finished in one day. Verity goes home to Vancouver for her sister Millie’s wedding. Her mother is there, and belittles her constantly. She moved to Toronto to get away from her awful family. Verity meets a very attractive guy named Nikau at the wedding, who is Millie’s neighbor. At the last minute, Millie’s dog sitter cancels and her family forces her to watch Millie’s dog Hamish. Verity and Nikau were were attracted to each other at the wedding, and now that they’re neighbors their chemistry is undeniable. Hamish has a dog named Chunk, and they all hang out together. Verity has never liked Christmas because of her family, but Nikau is determined to show her how much fun it can be. She’s falling for Nikau, but she’s not sure she can overcome her past and make a commitment. I liked Verity’s character development as she falls for Nikau and discovers her self-worth. I recommend this book, 4 stars. Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley I received a complimentary copy of this book. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.

Thank you Netgalley and BooksGoSocial for the eARC. I am not a fan of romance novels but love dogs and consequently couldn't resist the cover and the story. It's very sweet; with two loveable protagonists, a detestable family and two adorable dogs. It made me feel happy and upbeat and I loved the ending. Definitely recommended!

Heartwarming romance enveloped in the celebrative atmosphere of Christmas just like what the synopsis promised. I love how the author could make Christmas so vibrant and colourful, to give readers (from the east) a delightful taste of western life. Back to the romance part, it was carefully developed and crafted such that it was not on the cringe side which I appreciate a lot. However, there's an occasional 'information dump' about the background story of the protagonist which probably could be avoided. All in all, a good read.

When Verity goes to her sister's wedding, she expects the worst. She has always been pushed around by her mother and sister, and expects verbal abuse. She expects to only be there one day and then head out for a ski vacation with friends. Her mother has other plans though, and manipulates her into taking care of her sister's dog Hamish, while the newly weds go on their honeymoon. Luckily, handsome Nikau lives next door, and is happy to befriend her for the week. Fun story, with a few dark undertones leading to a HEA. Enjoyed this Christmas read and would highly recommend.

Absolutely loved this feeling good book! Enjoyed the characters and the story. The story flowed nicely and had me reading until the end. This is a wonderful story and a great read, I highly recommend this book!

If you are looking for a delightful Christmas themed read with two people who are definitely meant to be together, two dogs that are buddies for life, some family drama, snow, look no further. This book is a fast paced read that had me laughing, tearing up, and cheering for the main characters. Written from two points of view, you get to see the inter-workings of the thoughts of Verity and Nikau. Is it a Christmas fling or is it the real thing? Read and find out. I truly enjoyed Sophie Penhaglion's witty writing style. Her Pop Culture references are magnificent. I hope you enjoy as much as I did.

This is a fun Christmas romance. When Verity has to come across the country to Vancouver for her sister's wedding she decides to plans a ski trip to Whistler with her old friends, She is dreading this wedding as she does not have a good relationship with her family. She was adopted as an infant as her mother was unable to get pregnant. When she was a young child her mother unexpectedly got pregnant. After the birth of her sister, Verity's mother gave all of her love and attention to the younger sister. Her mother then began to mentally and physically abuse Verity. Her absent father was oblivious to the abuse. The younger daughter was very dramatic and spoiled. At the wedding, her sister starts screaming. Verity goes to see what the problem is and finds that the person that was supposed to watch her dog just cancelled. Their parents tell Verity that she can just cancel her vacation and watch the dog. She hates missing her ski trip but the one good side of this is that the next door neighbor is the handsome man that she met at the wedding. She has the best Christmas ever with the neighbor. This was a heartwarming story of a new relationship. I recommend this book.

This is a story about Verity Robinson a young woman who is traveling home to her younger sister's wedding at Christmas. Since she does not spend Christmas with her family her family she decides to attend the wedding and then meet some friends for a ski weekend. Unfortunately for variety things don't go as planned and she ends up having to dog sit for her sister while she's on her honeymoon. The only bright side to this whole situation is that she gets to spend time with Hamish McDuff, her sister's dog and the sexy neighbor, Nikau. Verity and Nikau seem to really hit it off but he can see that she has a troubled past and he is determined to help her make the best of this Christmas and forget all about the Christmas past. By the end of this story Verity has a decision to make in whether to go back home to Toronto or stay with her new found love.

When our snarky protagonist meets her charming love interest, we’re initially lulled into thinking this will be a simple, cheery holiday romance. But then come the villains. Christmas with Hamish is a toasty love story set against a holiday backdrop of twinkle lights and snow, and also an exploration of how we choose to allow our past to influence our present. With bonus cute doggos for lovable sidekicks. Many thanks to BooksGoSocial and NetGalley for the complimentary copy of this work.

Christmas with Hamish was such a great quick Christmas read! Verity and Nikau's emotional and physical chemistry hooks you straight in from the start of the book and entices you to continue reading! The Christmas theme was very much present throughout the book and although Hamish isn't a main character, he definitely played a key role in bringing Verity and Nikau together! The one piece that was difficult for me to wrap my head around is how all that was accomplished in the book took place over 1 week. It felt a little far fetched and fast paced. Overall a great read! TW: emotional & physical abuse Thank you to #Netgalley and #SophiePenhaligon for giving me the chance to read #ChristmasWithHamish for an honest review.

This was a little different to what I actually expected. Yes, it is a romance and yes, there is a dog involved. This was a nice christmas romance. But what I didn't like was the way Verity was stone walled by her family to look after her sisters dog while she was going on her honeymoon. The dog sitter cancelled. She was meant to be going away with her friends skiing. At the wedding she meets Nikau. Who turns out to be her new neighbour while she's at her sisters dog sitting. There's an instant attraction. Romance blooms in a whirlwind. Hamish by the way is the dog. I'm routing for Verity to stand up to her family. This book isn't very heavy although it sounds that there is. This is the perfect cold weather book. Curl up in front of the fire and be cheered by the read. Enjoy!

I throughly enjoyed this book and will probably be rereading it closer to Christmas time. The cover is also so beautiful and fitting of the story (as any good cover should be). I highly recommend for anyone that wants to be in a bit more of a Christmas mood already.

I enjoyed this books much that I read it in one day. It has all the ingredients for a fantastic seasonal cosy read: a heroine we empathise with, an intelligent, good looking, wealthy hero, an enviable setting, and it starts with a wedding. And it has 2 cute dogs!

This was a good Christmas romance book! This also has family drama and made me sad a little bit! Two dog buddies and two people that definitely belong together! There are two points of view in this book, so you get 2 sides of the story! I just reviewed Christmas with Hamish by Sophie Penhaligon. #ChristmaswithHamish #NetGalley https://www.netgalley.com/book/240076/review/700137

I love Christmas reads - I want a bit of a life lesson, sweetness, some romance, happiness, and definitely a HEA... and this one fits the bill! It's a sweet book, and if you want to enjoy Christmas, or simply enjoy romance, give this one a go! Thanks to NetGalley for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This was exactly what I was looking for when I wanted to read a cute holiday romance. I’ve just recently gotten into reading romance and so I’m still trying to find what I like in a romance novel. I think holiday romances are definitely my thing! By far my favorite parts of this book involved Hamish and Chunk, they were just adorable and added such a fun element do this book. At first it did bother me how Verity allowed her family to affect her so much after so many years but it made me happy to see how she finally confronted them in the end. The overall romance was adorable and enjoyable to read, I thought their relationship seemed genuine and it made me happy to see things fall into place. Overall an excellent read and I can’t wait to read more by this author!

Christmas with Hamish This is a modern day Cinderella story. Poor Verity is treated badly by her family, even on her sisters wedding day. Verity is expected to give up her plans to fall in with whatever her mother and sister want and of course she does. Then she meets her sister and brother-in-law's the handsome neighbour, who makes her feel better about herself. Like all good fairy stories everything comes right in the end. This is an enjoyable mainly happy story which I found an easy read.

a sweet romantic Christmas read. This was a short and easy read, done in one sitting. Loved the main characters and the dogs. Would definitely recommend.

Christmas with Hamish is a roller coaster of emotion I didn't expect. It was funny, sweet and emotional in the span of few pages but really really enjoyable. Verity goes back to Vancouver to attend her sister's wedding and she is forced to take care to her dog, Hamish, while she enjoys her honeymoon cruise. She is not happy at all because her sister and mother never treated her well, fortunately Nikau and his dog Chunk live next door and they will help Verity during her stay. I loved to follow Verity and Nikau journey. Their relationship is really special, it was such a pleasure to see them start as acquaintances and possible one night lovers to end as good friends and something more. I have to say that Verity and her story broke my heart, but watching her slowly overcome his past gave me a lot of joy. I was there supporting her and cheering her chapter after chapter, I really wanted to hug her because nobody deserve to feel like that. First time for me reading Sophie Penhaligon work and I appreciated her writing, she skilfully introduced the charaters' lives and experiences little by little and at the right time for the story development. I want to read more of her books as soon as possible. I would recommend this book, but if psycholigical violence is one of your triggers please consider to skip it.

This book was amazing and I was hooked from the very start.  It is such a brilliant but equally shocking Christmas novel.  The depth of the characters was brilliant which increased the enjoyment of the story.  It covers the shocking fact that some parents favour one child over another.  The dogs in this book were such characters and made me laugh quite frequently. The love story although predictable was fantastic so heartwarming and perfect for the season.  I loved the humour in this book it was so lighthearted and brought a smile to my face and distracted me from lifes troubles. It a brilliant escapism book. It was just the lift I needed.  Its great sense of atmosphere was perfect to get us all in the mood for Christmas. This book was a real page turner and it flowed so well its very easy to read. I adored the cover it really stands out and is just perfect. The ending was brilliant and made me feel very content and I felt a great connection with the main character really hoping for a good outcome. But I won't be telling you how it ends you need to read it for yourself you won't be disappointed it a fantastic complete novel. So much praise goes out to the author and publishing team for creating this stunning page turning story to get that Christmas spirit.  I look forward to reading more from this fantastic author. The above review has been added to goodreads, waterstones, Google books, Barnes&noble, kobo and amazon UK 26/11/21 and my blog https://ladyreading365.wixsite.com/website/post/christmas-with-hamish-booksgosocial-5-stars

Christmas With Hamish was the first Christmas book I read for the 2021 holiday season - and it did not disappoint! After reading the synopsis (which is something I hardly ever do), I had to read this book because it is set in Vancouver, a city I absolutely love (and miss - thanks Covid). I adore characters that have depth and Sophie Penhaligon did not disappoint in that regard, as both Verity and Nikau come to the relationship with their own baggage. Verity's character growth really impressed me as well. I loved the Christmas timeline, but I don't think this book is specifically a holiday read; I feel it could be enjoyed any time of the year! Both a stuck together trope and soul mate trope novel, with a smidgen of steam thrown in for fun - this was a book I turned to in order to lighten my mood and rekindle my love of the holiday season!

I thought this book was so sweet! I loved the setting — my husbands family is from Vancouver, and rarely see it written about. Also loved the dogs and just the whole spirit. I read this in one sitting and would definitely recommend it to a friend!

Verity makes me laugh with her pip. Although I feel a little sad for her been pushed out she's so relatable. Millie had her big wedding. Verity then suddenly now looking after Hamish after Mrs. Drama won't put him in a kennel. Nakui I like his style with undeniable chemistry between these two during the wedding is there more to come when Verity looking after the dog. How canny is Andy. The interaction between Nakui and Verity are sweet. This is a lovely sweet romantic novel and makes you feel cosy inside.

I have never heard of or read anything by Sophie Penhaligon but I am so glad I decided to read this book. I loved every single page and a week after finishing it I am still thinking about it. I received this book from Netgalley in return for an honest review. All the words that you will be reading are my own thoughts and opinions about the story. A Christmas story based in Canada with a dog seriously there is no way I could turn that down not to mention the cover is super cute. This story is about a woman named Verity and if I am being honest she simply does not fit in with her family, the black sheep perhaps. Verity travels home to Vancouver to attend her sister's wedding before she goes on a ski trip that she had planned with her friends for the Christmas holiday. Things happen at the wedding which ultimately ruin her planned ski trip with her buddies. Instead she is suckered into staying in Vancouver to take care of her sister's dog Hamish McDuff. This in itself is a bit overwhelming for poor Verity simply because she knows nothing about dogs or how to take care of them let alone the fact that she has never even met Hamish. Something you must know about Verity is that her family does not treat her well and sadly they never have. This is the reason why she left her beloved city of Vancouver and moved to Toronto in the first place where she isn't very happy. There is a perk to this little arrangement of having to stay in her younger sister's place though and that is the neighbor she will have while her sister and new husband are away on their honeymoon. Nikau Taylor is an artist who also happens to have a dog named Chunk. Verity is quite taken by him and his little adopted pooch Chunk. He teaches her how to take care of Hamish and they become fast friends and maybe even a bit more. Nikau learns that Verity has never really had a good Christmas and that she treats it just like another day which saddens him. He decides that it is time for Verity to finally enjoy the season and he makes it his mission to make that happen. When the Christmas season is over and the younger sister returns will Verity be ready to go back to Toronto? Will she be ready to go back to living in her basement apartment and continuing work as an editor? Oh, and lets not forget what will happen with Hamish? Does Verity become attached to him and his fantastic personality? I think that anyone who decides to pick up Christmas with Hamish will be pleasantly surprised at the story. It is not only a Christmas romance which by the way would make an excellent Hallmark movie but it also touches on many different emotions. I found this book to be funny, romantic, entertaining, and emotional all in one. This book definitely did not disappoint in fact I will be picking up more books by this author in the future. ***There are trigger warnings that need to be mentioned and they revolve around abuse, addiction and loss so beware.***

"Christmas with Hamish" is of the genre known as "Hallmark Christmas Movie." In this sweet little romance, our heroine Verity goes to her sister's wedding, where we find out a.) her family is toxic, b.) her sister needs a dog-sitter, and c.) her sister's neighbor is conveniently very attractive and obviously interested in Verity. You can guess how things move from there, although, this being of the Hallmark Christmas Movie genre, we've got to get the Spirit of Christmas in here, too. And dogs, as Attractive Neighbor has an adorable dog (in addition to the titular Hamish, an adorable Scottish terrier.) The good: First, Hamish. Any book starring a Scottie gets 5 stars for me. Adorable, sublime, hilarious. The book itself is pretty cute. On a more serious note, the toxicity of the family, and the heroine's mature recognition of the need to move on from them, were both covered in a way that was sadly realistic and mature. What's not as great: Not enough Hamish! For a book that has him in the title, there needed to be more Scottie content. (In addition, more nods to the unique characteristics of Scottie behavior--Hamish here doesn't demonstrate the famous Scottitude!) (You can guess why I read the book.) Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for allowing me to read this ARC!

Who doesn’t love a good Christmas read? I enjoy them all year round to be honest but they seem extra special at Christmas time. A lovely book that I really enjoyed.

Christmas with Hamish is the perfect reading fare in the run up to the festivities. It is a romance story with dogs thrown into the mix so has great appeal from the outset. However, there is more to this book than just a simple romance. I enjoyed observing how Verity's character gradually grew in confidence as the story progressed and I was rooting for her the whole way through the book. It is a quick, light read which I read over the course of a weekend. I probably could have read this in a day if that intrusive thing called life had not interrupted my reading time. It was a comforting book to read, and I enjoyed observing Verity and Nickau fall in love with each other and with Christmas itself. On the subject of love, I totally adored the dogs in the story. Both Hamish and Chunk added much to this novel and dog lovers will delight in this book.

Two very adorable couples in this heartwarming story. Wonderful watching the romance develop between Verity and Nikau, and how he helps her overcome the disastrous relationship with her mother. Chunk and Hampshire and their expressive faces were a hoot.

This is a sweet, super light rom-com, that is a perfect read for the Christmas hustle. From the very beginning, you already sense that Verity, who is the black sheep of the family, will soften just enough to let her sister’s handsome neighbor break down her somewhat tough exterior. As Verity, the neighbor and 2 pups plan a fun-filled Christmas, you want this couple to succeed despite the ‘mishaps’ along the way. There’s something genuine and refreshing about these characters. Some of the moments were a bit dramatic but overall this story left me smiling and pleased with this cozy holiday book.

Christmas with Hamish is a great book for the Holiday Season, with love-at-first-sight, a whirlwind romance, and a dog (or two)! I really enjoyed the two main characters, Verity and Nikau, who meet when Verity attends her sister's wedding. Verity's Whistler vacation plans are put aside when her sister asks her to watch Hamish, the newly married couple's Scottish Terrier. Nikau lives next door to Verity's new dog-sitting job, and the initial attraction evolves into dog walking, Christmas tree shopping, and dreaming of a happily-ever-after that just can't be since Verity lives on the other side of the county. Set in Vancouver, this book includes mention of local landmarks and sites; in fact, one of the main reasons I wanted to read this book was because of the setting. I was pleasantly surprised to find that Hamish the dog is such a main part of the book, and all the Christmas cheer is simply magical. If you're looking for a delightful Christmas book, this might be the one for you! Reader beware: Verity's childhood was filled with trauma - verbal and physical abuse. While no longer an ongoing event, it is referred to throughout the book, not in detail, but perhaps enough that some readers need to be aware ahead of time. Verity is strong and has a new support system that allows her to face this past and move forward in a healthy way. Thank you to NetGalley and author Sophie Penhaligon for an advanced copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

This was such a fun Christmas book! I enjoyed the characters (evil or not) as well as the dogs. I felt like I was enjoying a seasonal book that featured storylines that were a bit unusual, so not as predictable as some. I also liked the fact that there wasn't a big "misunderstanding" towards the end which so often happens in these types of books. The setting is in Canada so it was nice to learn a bit about the culture there and to envision where the story takes place. I look forward to reading more by this author. I also like the fact that the book was so invested in her characters and that there was room left for a sequel if she chooses to write one. I would like to see these characters again! Thank you to Netgalley for this free ebook in exchange for an honest review!

Travel with Verity to Vancouver for a family Wedding where she meets Nikau. Verity’s Christmas plans change in a moment as Verity finds herself thrown into looking after Hamish a Scottish Terrier for the bride and groom ! Will Verity be swept off her feet by her new neighbour as the magic of Christmas throws Verity into a holiday romance as she tries to forget Christmas past.

A quick read full of fun, holiday cheer! I absolutely loved the chemistry between Verity and Nikau, as well as the vulnerability that led them to each other. Hamish and Chunk stole the show with their adorable antics as best dog friends forever. This book touches on some sensitive topics like childhood abuse, but Sophie Penhaligon writes with grace and good feelings. That final airport scene had me crying (and laughing!) in the best way. Off to go find my own Christmas fling that leads to a happily ever after....!

I'm so glad I requested this book! It's got the perfect mixture of a cute, funny, witty, romance, a cozy Christmas and the best part, dogs, nothing can go wrong with dogs added to the mixture. I really enjoyed reading Christmas With Hamish, a fun, easy read that's granted to make you laugh out loud. I'll definitely be returning to this book whenever I need a good laugh. This was my first book by the author and it certainly won't be the last! Thank you @netgalley and @booksgosocialgroup for this ARC in exchange for an honest review💕

I really enjoyed this short holiday read! Set during Christmas, it was a good book to kick off the season with. While there are some darker themes of abuse and mistreatment mentioned in the book, overall I felt it brought the holiday spirit. I was wishing for a little bit more detail or maybe a few more pages, as it felt a little rushed between Verity and Nikau. However, if you just want a fast and fun holiday read this is for you!

Trigger warnings for PTSD and child abuse/ neglect with a very well written but painful relationship between Verity and her mum. The great chemistry between Nikau and Verity as well as the lovely festive elements doesn’t quite save this for me but if looking for a festive read with an edge, this could be right up someone’s street.

A new favorite holiday romance! Verity and Nikau meet at a wedding where they both don't quite fit - Verity's sister is marrying Nikau's neighbor - and when things go horribly wrong with their dog sitter for the honeymoon, Verity winds up dog sitting Hamish next door and getting to know Nikau in the process. As they get to know each other, they learn a lot about their individual familial baggage in past and present, finding themselves with immediate chemistry and connection that only grows from there. I would say things probably moved a bit quickly, in terms of them falling for one another within a matter of days, but the forced proximity combined with the realistic heavy conversations they have while actually getting to know each other means this felt much more natural and less insta-love. That was my only real criticism though, the book managed to tackle really difficult topics in a true-to-life way, while also absolutely giving us the magic of the holidays and adorable dogs! Not only did this pack a punch in the topics and themes explored, the characters have such personality and depth, I couldn't believe how well fleshed out they were within such a brief book. For me it was wonderful that this showed us sometimes getting our happily ever after involves hard choices, instead of your typical too tidy romance ending. Loved it, the author immediately went to my to-watch list.

Perfect holiday read if you want to feel cozy. Loved the characters. But for sure it was the pups that won my heart!

A lovely new take on a familiar holiday trope. Verity goes back home to Vancouver for her sister’s wedding and winds up dog sitting for Christmas week. She and the sexy neighbor spend the week together and end up working on getting over terrible childhoods. Recommended for fans of Josie Silver and Sophie Cousens. Big thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for the advanced reader copy in exchange for an honest review.