Of Starlight and Plague

Pub Date 28 Aug 2021 | Archive Date 11 Jan 2022

Talking about this book? Use #OfStarlightandPlague #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

It began, as big events often do, with small things — a little girl, a little dog, a microscopic virus that leads to a tragedy no one should ever have to face. Having lost his daughter to rabies, Dr. Aaron Pickman tries to derive some meaning from her death. In his search for a cure, he unleashes a virus that will bring the world to its knees. However, just as great tragedies often have small beginnings, great individuals can have humble origins...

Tammany, an injured woman running with a baby in her arms, has one slim, heart-stopping chance to save him.
Fletch, an infected man, tries desperately to protect his oldest friend.

And Louella, an old woman on her Pennsylvanian farm, offers shelter to survivors and becomes the unlikely leader of Camp North Star – one of the last outposts of uninfected humanity.

They are all frail, flawed, ordinary people who rise to meet the challenge of this deadly new threat. Yes, it is a time of plague; but in that darkness, they are the starlight.

A Note From the Publisher

Beth Hersant holds an MA in English Literature and has worked as a poet, essayist, playwright and author. Her first novel, Good Neighbours, received worldwide critical acclaim. She lives in Norfolk, England with her husband, children and their two Labradors, Bailey and Maisie.

EDITION Ebook

Send to Kindle (MOBI)

I couldn't help it as soon as I seen I was approved for this ebook I had to jump straight into it.

Of Starlight and Plague by Beth Hersant
Was a great quick story.
Which I'm honestly surprised I enjoyed this book alot more than I originally thought.
I really enjoyed the pacing and the slow-tidbits of reveals.
It was wild and exciting and above all fascinating.
This was a one sitting read and honestly I didn't want it to end so soon.
I really got into it.
The descriptive sense was also quite brilliant, the subtle unnerving tones building the fear, some of it visceral and sudden, other parts quietly disturbing.
This novel shows us another side of what "could" happen.
Maybe not this exact plot, but between natural disasters, unpredictable disease, and social unrest we could be teetering on the edge. And that's what I love about these books!
Overall, A fantastic story. And I hope to see more of Beth.

Matador and NetGalley,
Thank you for this eARC.
I will post and tag to my platforms closer to pub date!

Of Starlight and Plague by Beth Hersant

A good read which is very relatable to what is going on now. Fully believable on how things could go wrong if the very worse type of virus were to take hold .
Great characters , and plot line. Would read other titles by this author.

Super rabies

I enjoyed this apocalyptic tale about a rampant super rabies virus. It starts with how the virus was created and then how it became a deadly pandemic.

I especially liked the stories of the survivor groups. In this era of pandemics, this story hits close to home and is well written.

I received this book from Matador Books through Net Galley in the hopes that I would read it and leave an unbiased review.

This book is really in two halves - in the first part we learn how a man, a doctor, loses his daughter to rabies and is determined to find a cure that would save others. Very altruistic, but no reputable medical institutions will support his research, which is rooted in some serious animal experiments. So he goes alone with a derelict building on a little Caribbean island, trying to find the cure. What he creates is a new virus which quickly spreads across the world and hits civilisation hard.

In the second part we see the new world as the virus takes hold, with packs of infected people trying to feed their hunger. We meet Louella, an old farmer who sees the way things are going and sets out to save as many of her friends and family as she can, offering refuge in her farm.

The book explores humanity, the lengths we will go to survive, and how ordinary humans will step up when circumstances bring them low. It is very reminiscent of Stephen King's 'The Stand', and certainly kept my attention, even through all the 'sciency bits'. An interesting dystopia, well described and pacy.

Thank you to NetGalley and Matador for allowing me access to the ARC in exchange for an honest review.