The Big Book of Pride Flags

Pub Date 21 Jun 2022 | Archive Date 22 Jun 2022

Celebrate and learn about the LGBTQIA+ community with this colourful book of Pride flags!

Featuring all the colours of the rainbow, this book teaches children about LGBTQIA+ identities through 17 different Pride flags. With fun facts, simple explanations and a short history of each flag accompanying beautiful illustrations, children will uncover the history of Pride and be introduced to different genders and sexual orientations. There's also a blank Pride flag design at the back of the book so that children can create their very own Pride flag!

With a Reading Guide that provides a detailed History of the Pride Flag and questions for further discussion, this inspiring book is a must-have for every child's bookshelf, library or classroom.

PRICE ยฃ12.99 (GBP)

Send to Kindle (PDF)

The Big Book of Pride Flags is a colorful, and cheerfully illustrated picture book about the first Pride flag, the subsequent modifications, and what they represent. There are frequently perceptions that the current generations are growing up with more knowledge of the symbolism of the flags due to the higher visibility and exposure they experience, but those assumptions may mean they aren't educated on the specifics so this would be a valuable addition to any home, school, or public library..

This was really cute. The art is colorful and cheerful and with lots of different representation casually presented alongside the flags. The descriptions were easy to understand but also informative. I actually learned something new myself. In the back there were even some questions and a small task (creating your own pride flag), making it more interactive and engaging for young readers. I just think it's neat. I definitely wish I could've learned about pride as a kid.

This was such an affirming and joyful read!

This book contained a lot of information but it didn't feel like an info-dump or overwhelming. Each flag had a brief but thorough rundown: a bit of history (who designed it, when it was designed, some background) and a matter-of-fact explanation of what each color stripe stands for. I learned a lot and look forward to reading it with my second-grader.

The colors are bright and cheerful and definitely made me want to read more. The art style was cute while still allowing for lots of detail and individuality of the characters. The illustrations are diverse and welcoming, showcasing diversity of race, disability, gender presentation, age, and body size.

Overall this was a warm, welcoming, joyful and engaging read and I absolutely loved it.

*Thanks to NetGalley and Jessica Kingsley Publishers for providing an e-arc for review.

๐˜›๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜‰๐˜ช๐˜จ ๐˜‰๐˜ฐ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฌ ๐˜ฐ๐˜ง ๐˜—๐˜ณ๐˜ช๐˜ฅ๐˜ฆ ๐˜๐˜ญ๐˜ข๐˜จ๐˜ด was delightful and very informative. The art was bright and engaging, and I loved how every flag was not only explained historically and contextually, but every color was broken down and its representation in the flag explained. It was just so well thought-out; the perfect way to educate children in a well-rounded way without overwhelming them with an info dump. The questions at the end and the flag coloring activity took the book to the extra level, making it super interactiveโ€”the perfect bow on top of a book thatโ€™s the complete package. This book definitely deserves a place on your shelf and is absolutely worth sharing with the littles in your life.

๐™„ ๐™ฌ๐™–๐™จ ๐™ฅ๐™ง๐™ค๐™ซ๐™ž๐™™๐™š๐™™ ๐™–๐™ฃ ๐™š๐˜ผ๐™๐˜พ ๐™˜๐™ค๐™ฅ๐™ฎ ๐™ค๐™› ๐™ฉ๐™๐™ž๐™จ ๐™—๐™ค๐™ค๐™  ๐™—๐™ฎ ๐™‰๐™š๐™ฉ๐™‚๐™–๐™ก๐™ก๐™š๐™ฎ ๐™–๐™ฃ๐™™ ๐™ฉ๐™๐™š ๐™ฅ๐™ช๐™—๐™ก๐™ž๐™จ๐™๐™š๐™ง (๐™ฉ๐™๐™–๐™ฃ๐™ -๐™ฎ๐™ค๐™ช!). ๐˜ผ๐™ก๐™ก ๐™ค๐™ฅ๐™ž๐™ฃ๐™ž๐™ค๐™ฃ๐™จ ๐™š๐™ญ๐™ฅ๐™ง๐™š๐™จ๐™จ๐™š๐™™ ๐™–๐™ง๐™š ๐™ซ๐™ค๐™ก๐™ช๐™ฃ๐™ฉ๐™–๐™ง๐™ฎ ๐™–๐™ฃ๐™™ ๐™ข๐™ฎ ๐™ค๐™ฌ๐™ฃ.

Reviewed via NetGalley:

As a member of the LGBTQIA+ community and an educator, I absolutely love this book. This book is a staple that should be in every single classroom and I can't wait to own it!

This book offers the evolution of pride flags, as well as explanations and activities. I love the idea of kids reading and being able to create their own flag!!

As an educator, I want to ensure I'm as inclusive as possible, and this book has given me a great insight into the nuances and differences of those in the LGBTQIA+ community who reside under the pride umbrella. Even as an adult, I've learned so much, the book is illustrated beautifully with the flags of all communities, and explanations are short and simple, with additional facts about each of them. I hope this book finds its way onto classroom bookshelves across the country to ensure children are well-informed and well-represented.