Whisper Down the Lane

A Novel

Pub Date 5 Apr 2022 | Archive Date Not set

Talking about this book? Use #WhisperDowntheLane #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

“A diabolically creepy hybrid of horror and psychological suspense that thrills as much as it unsettles. You’ll keep turning the pages even as your hands shake.”—Riley Sager, New York Times best-selling author of Home Before Dark

Now in paperback, a pulse-pounding, true-crime-based horror novel inspired by the McMartin preschool trial and Satanic Panic of the ’80s.

Richard doesn’t have a past. For him, there is only the present: a new marriage, a first chance at fatherhood, and a quiet life as an art teacher in Virginia. Then the body of a ritualistically murdered rabbit appears on his school’s playground, along with a birthday card for him. But Richard hasn’t celebrated his birthday since he was known as Sean . . .

In the 1980s, Sean was five years old when his mother unwittingly led him to tell a lie about his teacher. When school administrators, cops, and therapists questioned him, he told another. And another. And another. Each was more outlandish than the last—and fueled a moral panic that engulfed the nation and destroyed the lives of everyone around him.

Now, thirty years later, someone is here to tell Richard that they know what Sean did. But who would even know that these two are one and the same? Whisper Down the Lane is a tense and compulsively readable exploration of a world primed by paranoia to believe the unbelievable.

Send to Kindle (PDF)

If the cover does not already speak for itself, this book is CREEPY.

I also loved every minute of it .

Whisper Down the Lane is a story of a child who falsely testified against one of his teachers that started a widespread hysteria in the 1980s for the "Satanic Panic" . This is Richard's story, previously known as "Sean". Told from dual narratives flashing back from childhood to present day.

Richard, was not born "Richard" , it is as if he is a boy without a past. Living under a new name, attempting to hide from the secrets of his past. Richard is married and also the happy parent of a little boy, Elijah. When a ritualistic killing of a rabbit is found on school property, Richard knows this is for him.

Someone is out to make Richard (Sean) pay for what had happened all those years ago. Someone knows of the lies that little Sean had told back in the day. That same someone wants to make Richard pay.

This is an insane cat and mouse book. My anxiety levels were through the roof at each turn of the page. I caught myself holding my breath numerous times not knowing what was going to come next.

I highly recommend Whisper Down the Lane and I have become a huge fan of Clay McLeod Chapman. I absolutely can not wait to see what this author comes out with next. This was an easy 5 star read.