Book Club Kit: Wild Game by Adrienne Brodeur

Pub Date 15 Oct 2019 | Archive Date Not set

Talking about this book? Use #WildGameBookClubKit #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

This is a downloadable and printable resource for book clubs reading Wild Game by Adrienne Brodeur. The kit includes an author interview, discussion questions, and more. This is not the actual book. This kit was sponsored by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.

How to Review a Book Club Kit:

The feedback you share will help us in the creation of future kits—just use the Give Feedback button to get started. Whether you’re reviewing a book club kit or a book, many of the same reviewing principles apply. In your review, discuss if your expectations were met—did the kit provide the items your book club needed? Was there something your group felt was missing? Highlight the elements that you enjoyed, as well as content that was less useful to your group. Close your review with an idea of who you believe would benefit from downloading this kit.

About the Book:

A daughter’s tale of living in the thrall of her magnetic, complicated mother, and the chilling consequences of her complicity.

On a hot July night on Cape Cod when Adrienne was fourteen, her mother, Malabar, woke her at midnight with five simple words that would set the course of both of their lives for years to come: Ben Souther just kissed me.

Adrienne instantly became her mother’s confidante and helpmate, blossoming in the sudden light of her attention, and from then on, Malabar came to rely on her daughter to help orchestrate what would become an epic affair with her husband’s closest friend. The affair would have calamitous consequences for everyone involved, impacting Adrienne’s life in profound ways, driving her into a precarious marriage of her own, and then into a deep depression. Only years later will she find the strength to embrace her life—and her mother—on her own terms.

Wild Game is a brilliant, timeless memoir about how the people close to us can break our hearts simply because they have access to them, and the lies we tell in order to justify the choices we make. It’s a remarkable story of resilience, a reminder that we need not be the parents our parents were to us.

ISBN 1015201900000