The Last Hours in Paris: Set in WW2 and the Liberation, a powerful story of an impossible love

Pub Date 7 Jul 2022 | Archive Date 21 Jul 2022
Headline, Headline Review

Talking about this book? Use #TheLastHoursinParisSetinWW2andtheLiberationapowerfulnovelofloveretributionandatonement #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

War brings them together.
Liberation will tear them apart.

'A wonderful book. An involving, terrifying, heartbreaking story of the power of love and forgiveness' JILL MANSELL
'A tender, yet thrilling story of love and family secrets in time of war, beautifully told' RACHEL HORE
'I was so engrossed. A wonderful, moving, sad but ultimately uplifting book' LESLEY PEARSE

A POWERFUL PORTRAIT OF WAR. A HEARTBREAKING STORY OF LOVE. THE EXTRAORDINARY NEW NOVELFROM THE AUTHOR OF WHILE PARIS SLEPT.

Paris 1944. Elise Chevalier knows what it is to love...and to hate. Her fiancé, a young French soldier, was killed by the German army at the Maginot Line. Living amongst the enemy Elise must keep her rage buried deep within.

Sebastian Kleinhaus no longer recognises himself. After four years spent fighting a war he doesn't believe in, wearing a uniform he despises, he longs for a way out. For something, someone, to be his salvation.

Brittany 1963. Reaching for the suitcase under her mother's bed, eighteen-year-old Josephine Chevalier uncovers a secret that shakes her to the core. Determined to find the truth, she travels to Paris where she discovers the story of a dangerous love that grew as a city fought for its freedom. Of the last stolen hours before the first light of liberation. And of a betrayal so deep that it would irrevocably change the course of two young lives life for ever.

'Love, loss, bravery... Ruth is an exceptional storyteller, bringing the past back to life and shining a light in the darkness' Ericka Waller

'THE LAST HOURS IN PARIS is a vivid exposé of war and its dislocations... these characters command sympathy'
Kirkus Reviews

Acclaim for the unforgettable international bestseller WHILE PARIS SLEPT:

'A gripping tale of love and sacrifice' WOMAN & HOME
'You'll have your heart in your mouth and tears on your cheeks as it reaches its rich, life-affirming conclusion... Had me completely and utterly enraptured' LOUISE CANDLISH
'What a book... Emotional and heartrending...absolutely phenomenal. I was on tenterhooks throughout. A wonderful achievement' JILL MANSELL
'I absolutely loved it. An ingenious plot, wonderful believable characters and it moved me to tears. A fabulous read' LESLEY PEARSE
'A heartbreaking debut' JANET SKESLIEN CHARLES, AUTHOR OF THE PARIS LIBRARY
'An amazing story of love, resilience and the human spirit' TRACY REES
'Brace yourself for a brilliant read. This will tug at your heartstrings' BEST
'Made me think and cry and rage and smile at mankind's capacity for both terrible, heartbreaking cruelty and beautiful, selfless love' NATASHA LESTER

War brings them together.
Liberation will tear them apart.

'A tender, yet thrilling...

Send to Kindle (PDF)

When this book is described as powerful, honestly, that doesnt do this book justice. It is breathtakingly good.
It is well written with a gripping storyline and well developed characters that I took to my heart. This was a heartbreaking read that I didnt want to put down. I loved it and will think about it for a long time.

Honestly this was so beautifully written that I really didn't want it to end at all.
This book is soo powerful and really opened my eyes to what the could have possibly of been like for those who fought to help the resistance.
Such beautiful character that it is impossible not to fall in love with them. Elise and Sebastian are so strong and it really is amazing how in such a short time they bring each other our of their shells and help them gain the strength they need to do the right thing.The author Ruth Druart portrayed them in such a way you felt everything that they felt and had you wanting to hide under the covers and not carry on reading but at the same time you have to read because you have to know how it ends!
The ending was so beautiful and absolutely perfect that it couldn't have ended any other way!

A beautiful story about love and family, and also heavier issues including heartbreak, betrayal, deportation, violence and death.

The characters were wonderful and very believable, The insight into how Sebastian had come to be working for the Nazis was well developed, albeit nothing groundbreaking. The plot, particularly the love story, was gripping and heartrending.

Whilst the dual timeline (1944/1963) worked well, the alternating points of view seemed unnecessary and also appeared to be somewhat confused between the first and third person. I also found the writing style a little simplistic, although on the flip-side this made it clear and easy to read.