A Curious Faith

The Questions God Asks, We Ask, and We Wish Someone Would Ask Us

Pub Date 2 Aug 2022 | Archive Date 20 Aug 2022

Talking about this book? Use #ACuriousFaith #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

God created us to be curious. We innately wonder about the world, one another, ourselves, and our Creator. But fear of the unknown, cultural taboos, technology, or even church leaders can smother our curiosity.

Popular writer Lore Ferguson Wilbert has belonged to Christian communities that discouraged curiosity. The point of the Christian life was to have the right answers, and asking questions reflected a wavering faith. But Wilbert came to discover that the Bible is a permission slip to anyone who wants to ask questions.

Reflecting her own theological trajectory toward a more contemplative, expansive faith, Wilbert invites readers to foster curiosity as a spiritual habit. This book explores questions God asks us, questions we ask God, and questions we ask each other. Christianity is not about knowing good answers, says Wilbert, but about asking good questions--ones that foster deeper intimacy with God and others.

A Curious Faith invites readers to go beyond pat answers and embrace curiosity, rather than certainty, as a hallmark of authentic faith. Foreword by Seth Haines.

“There are two familiar temptations today: to fear questions and to idolize them. Lore Ferguson Wilbert has done neither in this gentle, honest, and wise book. Stepping into the beleaguered shoes of the prophets, the psalmists, and the perplexed disciples, Wilbert invites readers into the human experience of faith. Her words are a salve to those of us who wonder, who wait, who impatiently watch for the One who is—and is yet to come.”—Jen Pollock Michel, author of A Habit Called Faith and Surprised by Paradox

A Curious Faith is a beautiful culmination of Lore’s ministry. For years she has invited readers to probe the depths of God—and to engage in self-reflection—with a courage that could only be Spirit-led. This book does not provide definitive answers on every musing but does offer a winsome theology of curiosity, of questioning, and of faith that the answers will come, by and by.”—Jasmine L. Holmes, author of Carved in Ebony: Lessons from the Black Women Who Shape Us

“We need more writers like Lore Ferguson Wilbert, ones who gently guide us into the grooves of a well-worn faith, the kind acquainted with doubt. Her words invite us to spread our arms out wide beneath the canopy of curiosity, to take a walk along the curved pattern of the question mark, and to breathe in deep the mystery of God.”—Emily P. Freeman, Wall Street Journal bestselling author of The Next Right Thing

“In a world filled with people who think they have all the answers, we desperately need more individuals who know the importance of asking the right questions. Lore Ferguson Wilbert is just such a person. As Lore shows both through her life and in these pages, a strong faith doesn’t just allow questions; it demands them. A curious faith is a robust faith. This invitation to ask good questions will encourage and strengthen you—and your faith.”—Karen Swallow Prior, research professor of English and Christianity & Culture, Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary; author of On Reading Well: Finding the Good Life through Great Books

“Lore is innately curious, unafraid of hard questions. She follows her curiosity like a sort of map, sometimes discovering firm and solid answers, sometimes discovering more questions. But time and time again, her curiosity seems to lead to the same conclusion: even in our uncertainty, or doubt, or confusion, there is a God who welcomes us into his love—questions and all. That’s what this book is all about.”—Seth Haines (from the foreword)

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

What a beautiful writer Lore Ferguson Wilbert is. I totally loved her first book Handle With Care: How Jesus Redeems the Power of Touch in Life and Ministry, so was eager to read her new book and was not disappointed. Lore has had so many reasons in her life to question the goodness of God and this is an openly honest book about her walk of faith and her moments of doubt. Through the lives of bible characters she teaches us that a questioning faith isn’t a weak faith but a strong healthy one and that God welcomes our questions and grows us through them. Sometimes our questions lead to more questions but ultimately they lead us deeper into God and he is always there willing to listen and love.