Bad Kids

Pub Date 4 Aug 2022 | Archive Date Not set
Pushkin Press, Pushkin Vertigo

Talking about this book? Use #BadKids #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

A dark Chinese suspense thriller about teenage accountability, where no one is innocent, for fans of Keigo Higashino and Un-Su Kim.

THE PERFECT CRIME DOESN'T EXIST

One beautiful morning, Zhang Dongsheng pushes his wealthy in-laws off a remote mountain.

It's the perfect crime. Or so he thinks.

For Zhang did not expect that teenager Chaoyang and his friends would catch him in the act. An opportunity for blackmail presents itself and the kids start down a dark path that will lead to the unravelling of all their lives.

Dark, heart-stopping and violent, Bad Kids is the suspense thriller that has taken China by storm, proving that anyone has what it takes to become a killer.

THE PERFECT CRIME DOESN'T EXIST

One beautiful morning, Zhang...

EDITION Paperback

Send to Kindle (PDF)

Zhong Dongsheng believes that he has completed the perfect murder when he pushes his in-laws off a remote mountain; little does he know that 3 children taking pictures at the same time capture his murderous act.
When the children approach him to blackmail him a series of events is set in motion that will lead both him and the children down an increasingly dark path.

This was an incredibly suspenseful thriller that I couldn't put down. The series of events that leads Chaoyang and his friends to witness the murder and then all that come after it are incredibly fraught. This was a gripping and fast paced thriller that I would recommend to anyone as the plot, characters and pacing were perfect. A 5 star read.

Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for a copy of the novel in exchange for an honest review

You can't choose your in-laws. One beautiful morning, Zhang Dongsheng pushes his wealthy in-laws off a mountain - the perfect crime. Or so he thinks. Even though the murders were as carefully choreographed as a play, he did not expect that three teenagers had caught him in the act. But Zhang Dongsheng seriously underestimated the smarts of those three kids. . . Dark, murky and violent, Bad Kids is the Chinese suspense thriller about the inner lives of teenagers that has taken China by storm.

“Bad Kids” by Zijen Chen is a fabulously dark suspense novel. When I initially read the synopsis for this book, I knew I wanted to read it and it did not disappoint. This book is not for the faint of heart, as it does venture deep in some places but I prefer my crime novels dark - the darker the better - so this book and I were perfectly matched. It’s the type of book that if you enjoy, it will sweep you up and carry you along for the ride. It was also nice to read a suspense novel set in China - a totally different and fresh change of scene. I was not aware of this author prior to reading this book but now that I am, I will be checking out his back catalogue.

My thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for providing an arc in exchange for an unbiased review.

This was a dark read that just when I thought the darkness was at maximum level it just kept getting darker. It was fast paced, twisty and unpredictable and kept me guessing. Just when I thought it was the best it could be, it got better. Honestly one of the best books I have read.