Magic Bound

The Haven Chronicles: Book Two

Pub Date 2 Aug 2022 | Archive Date 18 Aug 2022

Talking about this book? Use #MagicBound #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

The magic returns.

When Hartley Kegg and Blessing go missing, Steve Haven, the young heir to the Haven Robotics Corporation, once again finds himself plunged back into the chaos of Darkacre.

Teaming up with the darkling, he finds himself on the run from the Council and their enforcers, the Hidden, as he seeks to keep safe those he holds most dear.

Things are complicated further when a new player emerges: the Parity, who are far too keen in the Haven Corporation, and the magical device which nearly led to its destruction.

What follows is a race not only against time but through a series of worlds, each more fantastical and dangerous than the last, as Steve and his friends try to keep one step ahead of their pursuers.

Magic Bound is the second adventure in the Haven Chronicles, following on from Haven Wakes, a unique blend of fantasy and sci-fi which has been described by readers as “shades of Artemis Fowl, hints of Harry Potter… and Skulduggery Pleasant”.

The magic returns.

Teaming up...

"Immersive and magical world-building as we are whisked away on a hero’s quest with likable protagonist Steve Haven, experiencing an innovative, novel and sometimes frightening world through his eyes, meeting a pantheon magical creatures, sympathetic characters and dastardly villains along the way. An inventive and thoroughly entertaining blend of sci-Fi and fantasy, the Haven series will appeal to young and old alike" - Andrew MacLeod, Author

"I was initially a bit sceptical about Haven Wakes as so many books say they are for fans of Harry Potter and Skulduggery, but by Chapter 2 I was hooked...A truly brilliant book. I can't wait for the next one."

EDITION Ebook
ISBN 9781912946266

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

Review
To begin, it has been a good while since the release of Haven Wakes, so it appears that this novel has the benefit of not being rushed into print.
Magic Bound is the second adventure in the Haven Chronicles, following on from the terrifically entertaining Haven Wakes. This extraordinary series has leapt to new heights with the sequel to Haven Wakes.
Such a pleasant change to find that the follow-up outperforms the original on several levels. Haven Wakes was outstandingly brilliant, no doubt about it. But there is always room for improvement, somewhere.
Magic Bound is an action-packed roller-coaster of a ride from its beginning to its momentous conclusion. And what a closing finale, to this novel at least: No spoilers, but be prepared for something quite spell-binding.
I am getting a little ahead of myself there, but the book was so exciting, and the brief synopsis did not do it justice.
Needless to say, we meet a whole host of new and fascinating characters. Some are splendidly weird and wacky, whilst others are your typical paragons of magical pomposity and deserved a taking down. This is mainly aimed at the Council, who were a pain in the derrière from the very off. The least said about them is probably the better. Several new characters appear in the Council and the Purity; one or more will eventually play the part of the antagonist, I will leave that for you to find out.
Whilst searching for a new major player in the narrative, Steve and co visit Keeltown, a conglomerate of boats and barges in Scotland, off the north sea. (Imagine Waterworld but a more realistic version.) At the Leaping Tumbler, we encounter Jem, a close friend of Hartley. She will play a vital role in the story, but I wanted to mention this for two reasons. One, she called the council ‘wazzocks’, which I have not heard for yonks, and it made me laugh out loud. And two, her robots were called Manny and Bernard. If she had a third, would she have called it Fran? (for Black Books fans only.)
The Sanctuary and the three sisters has to be my favourite part of the novel, and this is where the critical action took place. Ana, Cate and Serene though sisters, have different skills to add to their personalities and traits but their bond is strong as you would expect when the need arises.
The book lacked a lot of the science and tech of the first novel but Steve certainly made full use of it when the need arose. And I can imagine every kid would want to visit Hartley’s Tailor and get one of those pockets sewn into their jacket.
My feelings on the Haven Wakes were that it was a character-driven novel. This becomes even more evident in Magic Bound as the familiar characters meet the new, in some cases head-on.
The intelligent free-flowing writing style made it easy to visualise the various locations. The incidents in the story are totally absorbing and are exceptionally breath-taking. The descriptions of fight scenes are not unduly graphic or vivid, but they are edge-of-the-seat exciting.
Magic Bound is an enthralling and entertaining book to lose yourself in, and I lapped it up. Fi Phillips continues to fire the imagination, and personally, I cannot wait for the next instalment.
I recommend Magic Bound, The Haven Chronicles, to a wide range of readers, not just the designated demographic. It is a book worthy of a larger audience, young and old.
Thank you, Fi Phillips, NetGalley and Burning Chair, for the advanced copy of the book.

Magic Bound is the second in a series that I'm eagerly awaiting continuing to read. Great characters, great imagination.