The Drowned Woods

Narrated by Moira Quirk

Pub Date 16 Aug 2022 | Archive Date 16 Aug 2022
Hodder & Stoughton Audio, Hodder & Stoughton

Talking about this book? Use #TheDrownedWoods #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

The right cause can topple a kingdom . . .

Once upon a time, the kingdoms of Wales were rife with magic and conflict - and eighteen-year-old Mererid 'Mer' is well-acquainted with both. As the last living water diviner, she can manipulate water with magic - a unique elemental power many would kill to possess.

For years, Mer has been running from the prince who bound her into his service - and forced her to kill thousands with her magic. Now, all Mer truly wants is a safe, quiet life, far from power and politics.

But then Mer's old handler - the king's spymaster - returns with a proposition: use her powers to bring down the very prince that abused them both.

Part heist novel, part dark fairy tale, and rich with Welsh legends, The Drowned Woods is an ethereal fantasy, perfect for fans of Kristin Cashore and Maria V. Snyder.

(P) 2022 Hachette Audio

The right cause can topple a kingdom . . .

EDITION Audiobook, Unabridged
DURATION 10 Hours, 15 Minutes

NetGalley Shelf App (AUDIO)

Thank you so so much for giving me the opportunity to listen to this audiobook. I very much enjoyed the listening experience. And yes this means I liked the story very much.

A big thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with this eArc!

This was amazing! A beautiful blend of welsh culture with a fantasy world, political intrigue and a group on a mission to end a tyrannical ruler!

“The Drowned Woods” by Emily Lloyd-Jones is an easy to read / listen novel with focus on the “magical heist” theme. The story follows Mererid ‘Mer’, a water diviner (read wielder) who is once again on the run from the Kingdom’s prince who wants her for her water-wielding powers. All Mer truly wants is a safe, quiet life, far from power and politics, but all that changes when her former spymaster and father-figure shows up with the proposal of a magical heist.

Starting from the legend of “Cantre'r Gwaelod”, a Welsh sunked kingdom, Emily Lloyd-Jones creates a high-fantasy novel enriched by stories of promised treasures, magical debts, and a lot of complicated adventure stories. To some extent, it is similar to Leigh Bardugo’s “Six of Crows” adventures, in a stand-alone format.

Special thanks to NetGalley, Hodder & Stoughton Audio, Hodder & Stoughton, and the editorial team for giving me the opportunity to review the ARC in audiobook format and to you, my reader, for taking the time to read this honest personal book review.

If you are interested in other of my book reviews, make sure to follow me on GoodReads!

#TheDrownedWoods #NetGalley

Thank you to NetGalley for the free e-audio in exchange for an honest review.

Okay so I loved this audio. The narrator did SUCH a good job and it was just so brilliantly put together. It was made obvious when there was a new chapter and some of the added sound effects were brilliantly done. The pacing was beautiful. At no point did I feel like I needed to check how long was left because it was dragging, because it simply didn't! I was just lost in this world. I would definitely, definitely listen to this narrator again.

So I have not read any other books by this author, but I know it's set in the same world as another of their books. It did not matter that I hadn't a clue how it connected because this book is written so well. The whole magic system was interesting and easy to follow and so was the world building. At no point did I find myself stressed that I didn't read the other book (though I am now very, very tempted to read it).

This book is described as part heist and part dark fairy-tale and I feel like that is super accurate. If you're looking for either of those things, look no further than this book. It's such a fun, quick read! Very much enjoyed it!

First of all let me tell you that the audiobook is really amazing, the narrator doesn’t just read it but it seems she is acting and the final effect is fantastic.
I love when stories are narrated as if they were fairytales and especially the prologue and the epilogue gave me this feeling.
The plot is full of betrayals and plot twists that kept me hooked up and I almost read it in one sitting because I couldn’t put it down. It definitely convinced me I want to read the Bone Houses very soon.
Mer has a rare power that has been exploited by men to do evil without her knowing, still she feels responsible. She does what she has to survive but she remains quite noble and stick to her morals and that’s what I appreciated about her.
At the beginning the crew and the sort of heist they must accomplish gave me Six of Crows vibes.

I read this story as an e-arc and I finished it within a couple of days. I really enjoyed it, though I felt I had read it so fast that I wanted to drop back into the World through the audiobook.

The background mystical music at the beginning of the prologue really helps set the scene and it feels like the beginning of a magical story. I think Moira Quirk did an excellent job in this audiobook and I felt her voice was very fitting to the story. She builds up tension so effectively and the voices she uses for the different characters were excellent. I also really enjoyed the epilogue which had the mystical music in the background again. This story has made me interested in Welsh mythology!

Thank you to the publisher and netgalley for providing me with this audiobook in advance in exchange for an honest review.