The Lonely Hearts Lido Club

An uplifting read about friendship that will warm your heart

Pub Date 4 Aug 2022 | Archive Date 20 Jul 2022

Talking about this book? Use #TheLonelyHeartsLidoClub #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Three strangers all caught in the deep end… but can they help each other float through?

After tragically losing her husband and being left a single mother to two children, Gabriella has only one escape for herself – swimming at a local London lido to clear her mind.

A constant stream of both new and familiar faces visit the lido like Gabriella – but she doesn’t suspect any are suffering quite like her, until she meets Helen – who swims to escape her emotionless husband, and Ian – who feels lost in the deep end after becoming unemployed and unable to tell his husband.

Grateful for new companionship, these three strangers decide to make their friendship into something more permanent: The Lonely Hearts Lido Club.

An uplifting, captivating read about the power of friendship – fans of Hazel Prior and Mike Gayle will adore this.

EDITION Ebook

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

Very excited to read this beautiful book! Full review to follow on blog and here. Love how each of these ppl are dealing with different heartbreaking situations, but manage to find a way to come together to fight their grief, but find happiness together instead. The writing is beautiful, the characters rich, and the storyline keeps you wanting to turn the pages long into the night. Thank you very much for the privilege. Looking forward to sharing more very soon.

Three strangers bond at the pool and form a friendship to circumvent their personal struggles. I really enjoyed this book it’s rare that you read a book about a true friendship.

This was a super cute book! It fell a little bit flat at certain points, but overall it was witty and charming and I’d highly recommend!

The Lonely Hearts Lido Club by Charlie Lyndhurst

I thoroughly enjoyed this one. It’s one of those books that focuses on the characters and their individual stories. On friendships that spring up in unexpected places and amongst people from totally different walks of life.

There’s no over the top drama or crazy plot, it’s believable and real and that’s what gripped me.

A man who has lost his job and doesn’t know how to tell his husband. A beautiful young widow struggling with everyday life as she looks after two young sons. A retired lady who is finding retirement anything but pleasurable.

The three come together in a lovely friendship and it was great to see them work through their struggles.

A ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ read for me!

Three very different people make friends at the local Lido and somehow, they help each other to move on with their lives.

Gabriella is a former model, a widow with two young boys. Since her husband Arnie's death she's been mired in grief, not helped by her in-laws who have never liked her and seem determined to take the boys away from her. The trouble is, they pay her eldest son's private school fees and have offered to do the same when her youngest starts school. Gabriella is desperate to escape the house full of memories and in desperation takes her youngest son to the local Lido.

Helen is married to a successful doctor. Happy to give up her career in fashion when she got married she has devoted her life to supporting her husband Bill and raising their son Peter. But now, Bill has allegedly retired, although he still works three days a week, and spends all his free time engrossed in his new computer. Helen thought retirement would be a time for them as a couple but Bill seems permanently irritated by her presence and refuses to consider any kind of joint activity. Helen's only solace is swimming laps at the local Lido, although she thinks visiting seven days a week could be excessive.

Ian was made redundant from his his role as a think-tank consultant and has been unable to find another job. He's too afraid that his gorgeous husband Drew will realise what a loser he's married to admit the truth so he's been leaving home in a suit and tie every day, then spending the day at the Lido.

There's something refreshing about telling your troubles to a stranger, one who tells you theirs in return, and sometimes these are the friendships that take root deep in your soul.

I really enjoyed this, the lives of three strangers bound together in sadness who help each other face the truth. move on, and become happy.

I received a free copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in return for an honest review.

Intriguing book about the way life intersects and the people we truly connect with. Well written with layered and likable characters. So glad I found this gem. My favorite read of 2022, I am recommending to everyone I know. Thank to NetGalley for this ARC!

This was actually a funny, cute book that talks about three strangers with different life meeting together and becoming friends.

Helen is facing marriage problems with Bill. Gabriella is trying to move after her husband died and Ian has recently lost a job and is afraid to tell his husband Drew. The three strangers spend time together at the lido and eventually, the three become friends. The writing was great and although it started a little boring, I actually enjoyed reading the book. I did like the friendship between the three strangers that eventually turned into close friendship, Ian's life with Drew, Gabriella in the end meeting someone and Helen trying to repair her marriage to Bill. Overall, I thought this was a sweet book and is looking forward to read more books from this author.

Worth four stars!

Many thanks to Netgalley and the Hera books for the ARC. The review is based on my honest opinion onlt.

Another light and enjoyable summer read. 3 people, with little in common become unlikely friends. Each character was lovely with their own problems that are helped by the friendship. A great holiday read.

Three strangers meet and share their problems, a good story about néw friendships, families and love. Likeable well written characters. Sort of loses its way in parts but overall enjoyable beach read. Thank you netgalley for the advanced copy

Adorable story of the strangers who become friends and how their life intersects.

Perfect beach read

A real escapist summer read!

I love the lido setting and how the three main characters, all with very little in common and completely different lives and backgrounds, become friends there, bonding over their common problem of finding something useful to do with their days/hiding from their everyday lives and issues.

The characters are well written and likeable and their friendship is uplifting and heart-warming. I almost wish I was part of the Lonely Hearts Lido Club myself!

This was a great lighthearted beach read. About strangers who connect in a beautiful way. It was a great read

This was an absolutely wonderful read! It was exactly what I look for in character driven novel - people of different backgrounds thrown together in a hard time of their lives and all of them coming out the other side together, and as better people.

All three of the main characters were so incredibly different, their problems were different, and yet they fell into steadfast friendship so quickly and comfortably - it was amazing to experience genuine friendships being formed throughout this novel and it made me want to be a apart of this little group so so badly!

It was funny and really sweet, emotional at times but a great insight into the daily ups and downs of life. It was an easy read where I got incredibly invested in the lives of these 3. Perfect summer read!!!

Thank you to NetGalley and Hera for my free copy of this book in return for an honest review - all thoughts are completely my own.

It was a beautiful read about friendship and how three people can come together and support each other. Loved the writing style and I think it’s a perfect summer read.

This was a truly beautiful book to read. It was a huge reminder to never judge because you just don’t know anyone else’s story or situation. This was a wonderful story, full of emotion, hope and joy.