Heartbreak Homes

Pub Date 11 Oct 2022 | Archive Date 4 Sep 2022

Talking about this book? Use #HeartbreakHomes #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

The back-to-school blowout filled with drinks and drugs isn’t Frankie’s scene, but she would do anything for her childhood best friend, Jessa, whose recent ugly duckling transformation has her hanging with a new crowd and vying for pretty boy Malcolm—the popular senior throwing the all-out rager on his father’s deserted development property.

Martin hasn’t heard from his old friends since his father lost everything and moved them across town. Until the party invitation. Between working double-shifts and avoiding his father’s sad-guilty routine, Martin decides to blow off some steam. But the party house is a monument to the bad real estate deal that left half the town in financial ruin—and the heart of all that has gone wrong for him and his family.

Cara and her crew of lost girls have been squatting in a model home on the property, stealing for their survival. The party is the perfect mark—privileged kids, abundant alcohol, and dark corners. The girls score big with their haul, but the celebration is short-lived when they learn their temporary home is at risk of discovery. They could be split up and forced back onto the unsafe streets.

In the wake of a brutal brawl, the guests find their host lifeless in a tangle of blood-soaked sheets. And Malcolm’s murder is only the first. Escalating violence drives Frankie, Martin, and Cara to forge new bonds, and together unmask a killer. Narrated from multiple perspectives, Heartbreak Homes  is about what compels us to kill—and the true face of justice.

EDITION Paperback
PRICE CA$16.95 (CAD)

For my first Netgalley ARC, Jo Treggiari knocked it out of the park! This book sucked me in from the beginning and kept me engaged and guessing all the way through - I finished it in a matter of hours. The short chapters, told from different points of view, made it easy to keep reading. Though YA thrillers tend to have some stock character types (the jock, the cheerleader, the outcast, etc) and this novel is no exception, I was really pleased with the character development of both Frankie and Martin. I was particularly fond of Martin and loved the recurring nods to his journalistic mind.

Though I was anticipating a more complex twist in terms of who is behind it all, I still found myself satisfied at the end. Hats off to Treggiari for an engaging, well thought out thriller and I look forward to more of her books to come!

I wasn’t sure what to expect with this book but I really liked it. It’s essentially a murder mystery told in a very locked room theme. I would consider it an updated spin on Agatha Christie.

4.25 for the YA genre

I really enjoyed this book! I love multiple pov in mystery. It really gives us a better look into the goings on of the story, as perceived by more than just a main character. The characters were very relatable and the mystery/twist was a nice surprise.

This book is reminiscent of Holly Jackson and Karen McManus, I’ll definitely read more by this author.