The Night Mother Vol. 1

Pub Date 8 Oct 2024 | Archive Date 18 Sep 2024

Talking about this book? Use #TheNightMotherVol1 #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Endless night befalls a sleepy seaside town, leaving it to young Madeline Tock to save her community from a threat known only as the Night Mother . . .

The moon is stuck like a broken clock in the midnight sky, the sun a distant memory. No one in this quiet seaside town can remember how long this unnatural darkness has lasted. No one, that is, except for the curious girl who lives in the graveyard, caring for the dead: twelve-year-old Madeline Tock. In gratitude, the departed whisper their worries to her, sounding just like her overprotective but loving father: beware this endless night and she who causes it.

Because there’s someone else who can hear the whispers, too . . . someone whose gown is a map of the cosmos, hair a tangled constellation, eyes like the lights of faraway stars. The Night Mother. Her elemental duty is to gather the souls of the dead in her lantern, then send them to their eternal rest as beautiful moonlight. But when her hunger for power drives her to take souls from the living, Madeline bravely stands up to defend her town and those she loves. Can Madeline help bring back the sun, or will she be lured by the starry promises of this mysterious woman?

Written by Jeremy Lambert (Doom Patrol, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Goosebumps) and richly illustrated by Alexa Sharpe (Lumberjanes, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Uncanny Magazine), The Night Mother is a lush gothic tale perfect for readers of all ages who relish in the wonder of the night sky.

The moon is stuck like a broken clock in the...

PAGES 88

If you love stories that hold a magic that seems apart from the usual.
If you loved films/books like The Secret of Moonacre, Stardust, and Coraline Meets the Graveyard Book more then this is the vibe for you.

The moon is frozen in time, and left a small seaside town without days, only eternal night.
This town is haunted by creatures that take the living and dead, ruled by the Night Mother, who is looking for a little girl who threatens her plans.
Unlock this story in this book and know it is only the beginning of the magic and mystery of this tale.

This graphic novel is so gorgeous, so vibrant and whimsical, I couldn't stop staring at the new art on each page!! Volume 1 of The Night Mother did a great job at setting up the storyline and I really look forward to seeing where this series goes. Although it was only 88 pages it already started tugging on my heart strings, and had me rooting for Madeline the whole way!

The Night Mother will be published on the 8th of October and I'd definitely recommend it if you're looking for a beautiful, whimsical graphic novel with themes surrounding family, time and darkness. The book is noted to be middle grade but is also advertised for all ages and I'd definitely agree that any age can enjoy it!

Thank you to NetGalley and OniPress for providing me with an eARC in return for an honest review.

Every panel of this graphic novel is a visual masterpiece, an extasy of art, with colors so vibrant, atmosphere so unique and artsyle that is a pleasure to look at. And the storynof Night Mother is as fascinating as the visual aspect – I adore the folklorish note behind it. Although it was roughly one hundred pages, it managed to set a great world-building, with great, complex characters and possibilities endless for the continuation. I am so glad I was able to read it, because it instantly swooned me, and I fall in love. Cannot recommend it enough!

I have a deep love for graphic novels and nothing makes me happier then when the illustrations and story match with so much precision. This story is fantastic I love the concept of the moon mother and her role in the balance and shepherding of souls. I'm always fascinated by different takes on what happens when we die and I think that this is my favorite one that I have come across. I also was very moved at the love that the stargazer had for his daughter. As some one who was raised by a single dad this really resonated with me. I cannot wait to see what happens in Vol.2

The moon has stopped, and nobody knows why, and for Madeline Tock, this is an unbearable situation. Her father was alreading an unbearing worry wort but now that there is no daylight, he has basically made her a prisoner in their home. A rule that Madeline tries to follow, but one night, she sees something incredible out her window, a young boy running across the waves! Knowing she must save him, she rushes out of the house, not knowing that this may be the very last time she sees the father she loves so very much.

This just needs to be made into a Disney movie. I said what I said. This is such a perfect combination of wholesome and spooky that I can't see it not being a Disney movie. And honestly, I don't think I've ever read a book and said, "Ya know what? I need this to be a movie." So I'm pretty sure that's about the highest praise I can give a book. Plus, the art is absolutely gorgeous!

Overall, I definitely recommend this. It was just a super cute, spooky little fairy tale.

As always, thanks to NetGalley and Oni Press for the eArc!