The Arctic Curry Club

Pub Date 9 Dec 2021 | Archive Date 11 Dec 2021

Talking about this book? Use #TheArcticCurryClub #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

‘For my whole life I had been looking for home. But why would that be in a place that I’d left? Perhaps I had to keep moving forward in order to find it…’

A tender and uplifting story about family, community, and finding where you truly belong – guaranteed to warm your heart despite the icy setting!

Soon after upending...

EDITION Ebook

Send To Kindle (MOBI)

Fragrant, spicy food contrasted with sub-zero temperatures and permanent darkness; The Arctic Curry Club is a beautifully written novel full of rich contradictions. It shouldn't work, but it does! This is a story with a difference. Main character Maya jets off to Longyearbyen, a freezing town situated deep in the Arctic circle. Struggling with her anxiety and her unfamiliar surroundings, it's a rocky start to a new life for Maya. Her boyfriend Ryan, on the other hand, takes to Arctic life like a duck to water. However, Maya soon has no choice but to face her fears. Before long, she's started carving out a place for herself in Longyearbyen. Armed with her late mother's treasured recipe book, Maya is ready to take the Arctic by storm! Maya is a likeable and relatable main character. Although she does have her demons, she's also passionate and endearing - not to mention, she's an excellent cook! The biggest hurdle that Maya has to overcome, though, is her anxiety. It's so easy to relate to this part of her character on a personal level - from her fear of the unknown to catastrophising every little detail, all of Maya's deepest internal thoughts are laid out on the page. This humanises her, as well as raising awareness of how difficult even the most seemingly mundane things can be for those who suffer from anxiety. Aside from this, though, The Arctic Curry Club is a foodie's heaven. The descriptions of the meals Maya makes are absolutely divine and it's all too easy to imagine the delicious aromas wafting through from her kitchen. Make sure you have plenty of snacks to hand when you read this book! It's not just the food that is perfectly described, however. The essence of both India and the Arctic are captured with ease and described well enough that you can easily conjure these two vastly different parts of the world up in your mind's eye. Above all else, this is a story of finding yourself and your place in the world. Maya shows us that a little courage can go a long way - after all, you need to believe in yourself if you're going to succeed in life. Inspirational, heart-warming, and unexpectedly emotional, The Arctic Curry Club is a real gem.

Gosh this book made me hungry 😂 Very hungry! As you might guess from the title, there is a fair amount of food discussed in the novel, and I felt the whole plot was beautifully seasoned with the spices of life. The book begins with Maya and her boyfriend Ryan arriving in the Arctic. I am a fan of cold temperatures but even for me, that’s extreme! And the only reason why Maya ends up there is because she is accompanying Ryan, who decided to move there for work. Alarm bells rang in my head when I understood the context behind their arrival and getting to know Maya only reinforced my feelings about the whole situation. Some might find following your love to the end of the world romantic, but I’m on the cynical side of things and it sounded crazy to me! Frozen ground, few people around, and anxiety for main company? It is far from ideal. But don’t we say good things can be born from bad choices? Maya is half Indian, half English and she’s never really felt home anywhere. She thinks she doesn’t fit in, so why not get on this adventure? The author did a great job describing the harsh reality of the Arctic and the loneliness of the place. I couldn’t decide if Maya had brought the loneliness along with her or if the remoteness of the place was simply the best echo chamber for her emotions The cold was not just coming from the wind and outdoors, but Maya had yet to discover it. The Arctic Curry Club is a lovely read taking its main character on a journey (or several journeys) to find herself. Maya felt disconnected from her roots and her past, and the ghost of her deceased mother haunting her pushed her forward, into a crazy storm of secrets, choices, disappointments, encounters, and opportunities. Oh, and polar bears. The smooth and warm writing, associated with a lovely array of secondary characters made this novel an absolute joy to read. No over-the-top happy moments, just how I like my stories to be told. Food brought the warmth stolen by the brilliant yet scary setting, and acted as a glue, creating a new puzzle out of Maya’s life pieces. Anxiety is one of the characters in this book, plaguing Maya on a daily basis. I appreciated how the author incorporated some of the things we anxiety warriors do or think oh-so-often. Although, unlike Maya, I need to sleep for hours after a panic attack, or even the beginning of one. It is nice to see mental health not making an appearance for the sake of the plot, but as a full part of someone’s life, and many will appreciate Maya’s efforts to live and tame the monster. I really had a lovely time reading this novel and imagining the spices and views.

I was pulled in by this book and read it in a day, I couldn’t put it down! Relationships, family, friends, anxiety, life in the Arctic, mouth watering Indian food - all comes together to make an interesting and uplifting read. Thanks to Avon books UK and net galley for letting me read this book - published 9 December 2021 4 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Oh this is a great book , something a bit different and if you suffer with anxiety you will relate to this book. Thoroughly enjoyed The Artic Curry Club.

I absolutely loved this and read it in one sitting. This book was absolutely perfect to read during a very stressful time in my life. It's cozy, escapist, and comforting, without being cheesy, sentimental, or silly. The main character Maya is especially well drawn - the way her struggles with anxiety are depicted (I especially liked her lists!) will connect with a lot of readers. I love fiction that takes me to places I've never been - I've never been to the Arctic, or to Bangalore, and the strongest parts of this book are in how well it evokes the setting and details of these places. I loved the use of supporting characters - everyone comes off as human and believable. I loved the positive relationship with the dad. I loved how Maya struggles with not feeling either Indian or British enough, and her overall journey. The plot is exciting - a lot of events happen - and it kept me hooked. And use of food is mouth-watering (I mean, who doesn't love to eat?!). I loved the message at the end, about how the things we love change, rather than disappear completely, and how anxiety can be a strength, rather than a weakness. Overall, I really loved this. I think this would be a fabulous book club pick. Thank you Netgalley and the publishers for the ARC.

This book is wonderful! It features my favourite book title of 2021. Parts of it are much heavier than I anticipated (and could handle at the moment, tbh) and deal with mental illness. It's an integral part of the story and well done but just be forewarned about it. On the one hand it was nice to read about anxiety in an authentic way but on the other hand I definitely did not want to be reading about anxiety as I read to escape from it. I will definitely read more from this author in the future. I received a complimentary copy of this book from Avon Books UK through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own. Thank you, Avon Books UK!

The Arctic Curry Club quite surprised me. It's not literary fiction and it's not quite 'chick lit'. It takes complex emotional and psychological topics and delivers them in a light, easily read style. It won't tax your brain, it might have you shaking your head in places (honestly, food as time travel gets a bit wearing after a while) but it does a great job tackling anxiety, self-doubt and, eventually, taking control of your life on your own terms. I thought it was pretty good. I can't recall reading many (any?) books where the main character is so messed up with anxiety. I could understand why family and friends had hidden aspects of her past from her - you don't really want to go telling an anxious person about their even more anxious mother, lest you push her too far. Maya follows her boyfriend to northernmost Norway to study polar bears - he's studying; she's just standing around shivering whilst her eyebrows freeze to her face. Everything about the place scares her. The sun's not been seen for months and won't be back for several more, the temperatures are shocking and everything is unbelievably expensive. She takes on a part-time job cooking for tourists on adventure breaks and soon becomes the best curry chef in the Arctic Circle - or probably, the ONLY curry chef in the Arctic Circle. In the midst of all these challenges, she takes a trip to Bangalore where her father is marrying his late wife's best friend. In Bangalore, she gets her late mother's cookery book and starts recreating recipes. These recipes are like a time machine and she's soon dreaming and hallucinating events around the last time she ate those dishes. Sorry, bit far fetched for me. I know that food is inextricably linked to memory, but this is a tad too hard to swallow. These 'visions' lead Maya to question what happened to her mother and eventually uncover some very uncomfortable aspects of her past. I liked the food. I cook and eat a lot of curry and I've travelled all over India. Maya took me on a trip with her through her cooking at a time when Covid has me tied up at home. I also liked the way Maya evolved from a fearful follower to a courageous and independent woman, making up her own mind and not just trotting after her man. Thanks to Netgalley and the publishers. To the author, PLEASE can I come round to yours for dinner? (One tiny correction. Coronation Chicken is described in the book as Anglo-Indian and as a dish from the days of the Raj. This isn't actually true. Perhaps she's confusing it with Jubilee Chicken which is an earlier dish. Coronation Chicken was created for Elizabeth II's coronation in 1953 and thus post-dates Indian Independence).

The story Maya has decided to join her partner Ryan in the Arctic while he is doing academic work on polar bears. They arrive in the heart of the winter when there is four endless months of winter darkness, snowstorms and icy temperatures. Like super icy 🥶 Maya is half British and half Indian. Her father met and married her mother while working in India. Her mother died when she was 7 and she and her father returned to the UK. Maya can’t remember anything about her mother or living in India, it’s all been blocked out. And she suffers terrible anxiety. She is a trained cook and starts cooking for tourists that visit for the local attractions and eat at the cabins outside town afterwards. But as she cooks some of her late mother’s recipes, she starts getting flashbacks to life in India and memories of her mother. My thoughts The climate and conditions in the Arctic are a huge aspect of this story. The food and culture of India are another. Maya’s mental health struggles are very real, and her growing acceptance of the memories being revealed mirror the healing that is happening within her. This is an emotional story with several trying experiences. The backdrop of the months of darkness followed by twilight and light follow the path of depression and struggle to acceptance and happiness. This story is beautifully written, handled so sensitively and the setting in both India and the Arctic shows the research and life experience of the author. A stunning read!

“Don’t judge a book by its cover.” If you, like me, picked this up/requested it and thought “gee, this should be a nice fluffy read — it’s about food and a setting you don’t see often in books, so much fun!!” well well well. How the turntables. This book packs a wallop in all the good ways. It comes at you like a polar bear going after reindeer curry. It gives a searing, clear eyed treatment of living with anxiety, depression, family secrets, having faith in your abilities, learning to trust yourself, forgiveness, and does it all in the backdrop of the Arctic and India. This book is like the most delicious, intricate curry you’ve ever tasted. You can’t help yourself for seconds…thirds…or, in my case, staying up until the wee hours to finish. Highly, highly recommended.

I thought I was going to read a rom com but I’m so glad I was given the opportunity to review the book. It was so interesting reading about life in the Arctic and the difficulties living in the cold and dark. I loved the recipes and the trip to India but what stood out for me was the the main character Maya who was battling anxiety. Memories of Her past in India had disappeared when her mother died and she moved to England. Such a beautifully written book well worth a read

This will be a lovely read for our customers looking for something uplifting to read over the Christmas/New Year period and into the summer break.

When I requested The Arctic Curry Club by Dani Redd from NetGalley, I was not completely certain what kind of book I was getting in to. The answer turns out to be the best kind. Maya is a UK raised, mixed race, 30 something with a major anxiety problem. Her mum was killed when she was a child in India and her dad raised her solo in the UK. Now Maya wants to strike out with, but really follow, boyfriend Ryan to Longyearbyen in Norway's Svalbard archipelago in the middle of winter. Concuring anxiety solo, in the dark, while her boyfriend is studying polar bears leaves Maya in a difficult state. Maya's father invites her to India to meet and celebrate his wedding to Uma, Maya's mother's friend from decades earlier. While there, Maya begins to remember snippets of her youth. She also begins to learn about Indian food and some of her late mum's recipes. Back in Norway, Maya continues to learn about herself while living and caring for the End of the Road Cabins with Mikkel, Adam, and Rita. She begins to cook for tour groups and then begins the Arctic Curry Club. Maya goes through serious personal growth during her time in Norway and India. She learns about her mum, her culture, and herself. It is heartfelt and a lovely read. Thank you NetGalley for this ARC in exchange for an honest review.

I really enjoyed this book! The cover looked like it would be another silly romance for me to enjoy, but this read like more of a memoir. If I didn't know, I'd think this was a piece of nonfiction. We follow our main character, Maya, as she moves to the Arctic with her boyfriend. The descriptions of nature in this book are almost as breathtaking and descriptive as the food Maya cooks! This really felt like a travel and food book with a fabulous plot thrown in for good measure. Maya suffers from anxiety, but I thought it was well portrayed. I really enjoyed this book and it absolutely flew by. I'm shocked that this is this author's debut book, honestly. I cannot wait to read whatever Dani writes next!

I couldn't wait to start reading this book, the story sounded really good and the title sounded intriguing. Maya and her boyfriend have moved to the Arctic and she is not at all fussed about it, it doesn't seem all it is cracked up to be. Because of all this Ryan is being distant from her which makes her feel lonely in such an isolated place. Her mother use to cook and that is where Maya has learnt her skills from, so to bring comfort to herself she reads her mother's cook book and cooks from it, from here she starts to make a few friends and manages to get a job doing something she loves. Finally things are looking up. Maybe coming here is not a bad thing after all. I think people will be able to relate to this story about doing something for someone you love but with it not necessarily the right thing for you. It shows you can make the best of a bad situation if you just put your mind to it. I really enjoyed this uplifting read and I look forward to reading what ever Dani comes up next with.

Thanks Netgalley for allowing me to read this book. Maya leaves for the arctic with her boyfriend. Maya wasn't sure she made the right decision of going to the artic. She decides to cook which opens up more doors. I enjoyed this book.

Thanks Netgalley and the Publisher. Who doesn't like a good curry mixed in with a good story and great characters. I really enjoyed this.

I really enjoyed this book even though it was not what I expected. Maya goes to the Artic with her boyfriend Ryan, not really knowing what to expect. It’s sooo cold and sooo dark and she finds it so difficult to fight the demons of her depression. As well as this she is having flashbacks/dreams of her past when her mother was alive ( she died when Maya was very young), which she is finding very unsettling. A visit to India to see her dad brings memories from old but also reveals the beginnings of lies that have been buried for years. Maya feels at a loss, hurt, disappointed, afraid, will she cope in a new place. The offer of a job at the end of the world cabins gives her an outlet to do something she enjoys cooking, which I turn leads to happiness, friendships and a sense of belonging. My only disappointment is that there was no recipes at the end to try as my mouth wanted butter chicken.

This book was absolutely fabulous! Loved how different the setting was- learning about life in the Arctic was amazing, not to mention the added interest of life in Bangalore. The descriptions of food were tantalising and I thought she approached the issue of anxiety and general mental health conditions delicately, sympathetically and in a very informed way. Not enough books go into such detail. Seeing the protagonist’s confidence develop was inspirational- a truly amazing read.

Cookbook In Hand… The Arctic is not exactly as envisaged for Maya after having agreed to follow boyfriend Ryan to the ends of the earth. In fact, things are often despairing. With cookbook in hand there may well be a demand for some delicious food. Dealing with some difficult issues with a sleight of hand and with empathy this is an unexpected and often warming read.

It is a great book for young children with an age group of 7+. I loved the cover of the book. It is a great selling point . I loved the book becuase you really felt that you were transported there.

I thought this book was going to be cutesy and light, but it’s actually a really good read with deeper, emotional tones to it. It’s a super sweet book that I think could easily be a wonderful movie!! The author did a great job describing the environment and the food which for whatever reason, worked perfectly together! With themes of finding out who we are and where we belong, food and family, love and loss, and so much more, this book was wonderful and really made me connect and feel for the main protagonist, Maya. Great read!

The title had me intrigued. Maya moves to the Arctic with her boyfriend, Ryan. The snow, the cold and the dark were bigger obstacles than she anticipated. There were several threads running through the novel. I thought the subject of anxiety was very sensitively tackled and it was great to see how Maya became stronger and more confident as the story progressed. Also, the story of how Maya lost her mother at a young age and how her memories of her were slowly returning. Maya's acceptance of her new stepmother and her short romance with an old friend from India. The author certainly manages to pack a lot in! The writer has a quirky writing style which flowed easily. It was well plotted and the characters were well painted. My only criticism would be that while the Indian recipes were an integral part of the story, I felt there were too many descriptions of the dishes. Perhaps, some could have been linked to recipes at the end of the book? I would definitely recommend this read and look forward to reading more by this author. Thanks indeed to Netgalley and the publisher for the ARC.

I was sent a copy of this book for an honest review. Thank you so much for letting me read this book! It was quite different to my usual type of book, but I loved it. I loved how the writer made the characters so real and believable, and it was very interesting to have them in the Arctic. It was so descriptive. I could happily read another! Shame the recipes weren't in the reading copy but I'll have to buy the book! Definitely worth it. #TheArcticCurryClub #Netgalley

I can't believe this is a debut novel. It feels so accomplished and had me completely enthralled early on. The Arctic and curry are not necessarily two things you would expect to fit together so well but yet everything about this book just works. The descriptions of the Arctic in winter, the never ending darkness, the cold, the dog sledding and snowmobiling are all there and presented so vividly. And then there are other equally impressive sections set well not in the Arctic but also conjure up the sense of that place so impressively. Then there is the mental health theme running through the book that I'd dealt with sensitively, and I really felt for Maya at times. Especially when more of her family history is discovered. And then there is food, and the descriptions left my mouth watering and feeling like I could smell the aromas and spices. It wouldn't be the Arctic without some wildlife and there is a rather memorable scene involving something whiter and more savage than your average Teddy bear!!! I've always been a sucker for a book with an exotic location and you can't get much more different to regular life than the Arctic. This gave a wonderful feeling of what life in the Arctic must be like in winter that transported me from the comfort of my garden. Somehow I ended up reading this in a rare hot day in September and not curled up in front of a fire all cosy are you are more likely to be!! A gem of a book and I'm excited to see what the author will write next. Thank you to Avon and Netgalley for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily,

I really enjoyed reading this book, could’ve gone down the ‘chick lit’ route but tackled mental illness in a sympathetic way and the main character was great! Loved the info for the recipes she cooked and the link to her childhood, love that the ending didn’t go the traditional way either. Highly recommend, a must read x Thank you for a copy from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review

I received this book for free for an honest review from netgalley #netgalley Perfect read to curl up on the couch with on a cold night.

A book that covered some very difficult subjects. Especially mental healthy and anxiety . The idea of Indian food and the Artic are just a combination you don’t think of. I loved how food helped Maya .Ryan was an idiot . I won’t spoil it but I am glad love did not guide the ending in the way you thought it might. Parents do try to protect us. I really loved it.. A very good ending, not cliched at all. Read it

I really enjoyed this book. It was nice to see something different from a rom com. I really enjoyed the unique setting and the descriptions made me feel I was there. I loved that there were some strong female characters in the book and a general ‘I’ll show you’ attitude even when life knocks you back.

I really enjoyed this title and highly recommend. I feel this will make an excellent addition to anyone’s book collection. Please be sure to go and pick this one up

From the bright cover I was expecting a cute romcom or a clever Northern Exposure style fish out of water story about the city girl come to a quaint village full of colourful characters and starts a supper club full of quirky guests. *SPOILER ALERT* this is not that story, the supper club doesn't even show up until halfway through the book. But don't let that scare you away. The story of Maya, who has never felt quite like she belonged anywhere and who suffers from major anxiety caused by past trauma is a delightful read regardless of my unmet expectations. This story is a journey. Maya comes to a remote Arctic island to follow a man and winds up finding herself. It might sound cliché, but the story delivered more. The recipes sound so good, I was hungry all the time. The main locations are written about in a realistic way by an author who has lived in both places. The characters are unique but not in the cloying, two-dimensional way one sometimes finds in a "quirky small town" story. All in all I was very moved by Maya's story. Thank you to Netgalley and to HarperCollins Publishing for this ARC

I really enjoyed this book - it was slightly slow to get going, and the amount of writing about the main character’s anxiety was initially a bit tedious. However, as it became critical to the story, I found it quite engrossing. Worth staking with, as it’s not as predictable as you may think… I loved the settings, really let me imagine both the Arctic and India - also the descriptions of food were really great. Would happily read more from this author.

I was pleasantly surprised by this book: I thought it would be a cute romance and instead I found a journey to self discovery, staying strong in the face of adversity, overcoming the past and what I think is a good rep for anxiety (the mc goes through some difficult situations and the reactions to them were presented in a good way). There was food, friendships, aurora borealis and polar bears and a strong as hell main female character, very easy and enjoyable read!

The Arctic Curry Club Dani Redd a frosty four-star read. This wasn’t what I was expecting at all, this is such a detailed story as you have the artic setting, the Indian culture and the food, mental health. I was expecting a romance with a little chill, but this wasn’t that, it was a good story that made you stop and think at every turn.

The Arctic Curry Club follows Maya, who recently uprooted her life to follow her boyfriend, Ryan, to Svalbard for his job. Arctic living is difficult for the toughest of people, but Maya mental illness causes her to especially struggle with the cold and darkness. When her boyfriend begins to pull away and buried family secrets come to the surface, Maya turns to cooking traditional family recipes with an Arctic twist as a way to cope. I was drawn to The Arctic Curry Club based on the book description, Arctic setting, and food themes. But wow, this book ended up being a lot more than I expected. Maya's struggle with mental illness is prominent throughout the book and is exceptionally portrayed in a variety of circumstances. The author really put great care into how they wrote this character. Maya's flashbacks to her childhood are heartbreaking; it's like peeling back the layers of an onion getting to the bottom of everything. I loved the use of cooking as an outlet for her struggles and enjoyed the descriptive nature of the dinner club scenes. And Ryan would probably have been better off left in the snow dog kennels.....though that may not be fair to the dogs. The Arctic Curry Club tackles a lot of strong themes while simultaneously providing a message of hope that will resonate well with readers. Trigger warning for mental illness themes, including the topic of suicide. Thanks to Netgalley and Avon Books UK for this ARC; this is my honest and voluntary review.

Imagine living and working in a country that doesn’t have any daylight for months of the year and is icy cold! You’ve followed your boyfriend there but then have to go back to India for your fathers wedding. You keep getting flashbacks of various recipes and are given your mothers recipe book. You go back to the ice, taking spices with you, and start cooking for their jaded taste buds. It’s a huge success. Love life not going well but a new job in a brand new hotel comes up and your Indian/English hybrid menu takes off. It was a slow starter but I really liked it at the end. Well donev

Thank you for the advance copy of this book! I ADORED this book! First of all, I loved learning about life in Arctic and the background on Indian cuisine. My favorite part though was how mental health was described and handled in this book. Too many books use the words anxiety and depression so flippantly, but this was not the case with Dani Redd, This book was so much more complex than I expected, and I loved the twists and turns of the novel. I hope there's a sequel!

Such an unusual setting for the book, the Arctic, it made a pleasant change. A book all about cooking, finding yourself, a different take on romance too. Totally recommend

I absolutely adored this book. I was skeptic at first, but there were so many layers to the novel that kept appearing - mental health, relationships (on many levels), travel, cuisine, self-discovery. At about 75% through I started to get mildly disappointed at some of the predictability. But I was quickly silenced with the last few traits at the end. Of course, my favorite part was the descriptions of all the food. Mouthwatering. We’ll be ordering Indian for takeout, pronto.

Yes, yes, yes, and more yes. I picked up The Arctic Curry Club out of my reading order because I wanted something hopefully a bit lighter. I didn't exactly get that with Maya but what I got was so much better. Maya follows her boyfriend, Ryan, to the arctic and it's not exactly all she'd hoped it to be. The nights are never-ending, the cold is like nothing she'd felt before, and frankly it's all a bit depressing and scary. That's how it starts, but Maya is just so much more. I love the exploration of identity, culture, and family. I loved that the book takes us from London to Longyearbyen to Bangalore. There is so much development and growth in this book that you never want to stop reading, just waiting for the next discovery to be made. 5/5 Stars! Thank you to NetGalley and Avon Books UK, Avon for providing me with an e-arc of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I wish to thank NetGalley and Avon Books UK for the ARC of this compelling book in return for my honest review. I was attracted to its delightful, eye-catching cover, which portrays a bright, joyful dinner in the far north. There were unexpected dark themes of anxiety, crippling fear, repressed memories, abuse, mental illness, suicide, and low self-esteem. The story seamlessly combines two of my favorite things, the Arctic and Indian food. I remained absorbed in the story. Maya is of mixed Indian and British parentage. She lived in India until her mother died when she was 7. She grew up in England and has absolutely no memory of her early life in India. She absorbed the British culture but never felt that she truly belonged. Her boyfriend has taken a job monitoring polar bears in the Arctic, and Maya accompanies him. Her lifetime of anxiety, fear, and panic attacks are magnified in the Arctic setting. She enjoys the northern lights, rides in a dogsled, learns to drive a snowmobile, and takes shooting lessons but is terrified by each new endeavor. She hates the bitter sub-zero temperatures, the 24 hour days of darkness, fears polar bears, and even an Arctic fox. Her anxiety is crippling, and she barely manages to function. Her boyfriend thrives in this new environment. At first, he seems most patient and understanding, but soon tires of her inability to participate in community life. He slyly undermines her confidence. I felt that her panic attacks and self-doubts were handled with sensitivity and skillfully written so one could feel her anxiety. However, I felt that these were overwritten and described more than necessary. Maya goes to work as a cook at a tourist stop a short distance from the town. Some of the tour group members mention they would prefer spicier meals to improve on the bland food being served. Maya knows little about Indian cooking but makes a few attempts. She finds that tasting her cooking sets off vague flashbacks of her early life in India. Her father is being married in India to an old friend of her late mother. She travels to India for the first time for the wedding and begins to learn to cook Indian cuisine. This causes more flashbacks of her forgotten early life, and finally, some distressing secrets her father kept from her. She reconnects with a former male friend. Will a romance develop? Maya is given her late mother's recipe notebook and becomes proficient in preparing some of the meals. She returns to the Arctic, angry with her father. Back in the Arctic, her dinners become a trendy tourist destination. She still lives with anxiety but now has a new skill that occupies her mind. She gains confidence and makes new friends. The descriptions of her meals caused me to rush out for Indian take-out. I wished her most popular recipes had been included at the end of the book. The dinners were overly described with no idea how to prepare or cook the delicious-sounding meals. Several unfortunate events occur that mean the job at the tourist stop must end. She has been offered work as head cook at an upscale hotel in the Arctic town and is preparing to return to England. Has she found a place where she feels she truly belongs? A gripping story of living with anxiety and learning to overcome fears while building confidence and a feeling of belonging. (3.5 stars rounded up to 4).

I loved this book, an unromance novel, where the protagonist falls out of love with her boyfriend and begins to love herself a little more. What stands out about this book is the unique settings. From the chilly north to the heat of India, the settings drive the narrative as Maya tries to find her role after following boyfriend Ryan to the Arctic. In finding that Ryan perhaps isn't her everything, Maya also learns more about her long dead mother, her father and her early life in India. Maya's talent is cookery, which adds another delicious and tantelising layer to the book: I'd love to see recipes for some of the things she cooks, even if reindeer is in short supply in Sussex! Well worth a read, will leave you smiling.

Maya accompanies her boyfriend to the Arctic. As she battles against the frigid temperatures, constant darkness, and her own anxiety she begins to cook Indian food for the first time in her life. The food brings flashes memory and life in India before her mother died. As what she thought was truth begins to shift she need to find a way to create a life of her own. But how will she even survive in the Arctic?

I love a book that is set in an unusual setting and it isn't very often you find a book set in the anartic circle. I also love a book that is about cooking, a book about finding yourself. Being able to turn your life around when things go not the way you have planned and a book that has some romance in it. So this book for me ticked all the boxes.

This was a cute romantic read set in a very different setting than most romantic comedies. So that was a really neat aspect to the story. Premise Soon after upending her life to accompany her boyfriend Ryan to the Arctic, Maya realises it’s not all Northern Lights and husky sleigh rides. Instead, she’s facing sub-zero temperatures, 24-hour darkness, crippling anxiety – and a distant boyfriend as a result. In her loneliest moment, Maya opens her late mother’s recipe book and cooks Indian food for the first time. Through this, her confidence unexpectedly grows – she makes friends, secures a job as a chef, and life in the Arctic no longer freezes her with fear. But there’s a cost: the aromatic cuisine rekindles memories of her enigmatic mother and her childhood in Bangalore. Can Maya face the past and forge a future for herself in this new town? After all, there’s now high demand for a Curry Club in the Arctic, and just one person with the know-how to run it… I loved watched Mayas fish out of water foray into the Arctic help her find herself as well as her passion for cooking. This would make a really cute movie as well!

What a fun, wholesome read! This was the first book I've read set in the Artic and boy did it prove to be an adventure 😂 It was a little slow to begin with, but once it picked up I was so fascinated by Maya and her story! I think the author delt with Maya's struggle with anxiety really well and even though it seems like it's been overwritten it's imperative to the story! The Artic Curry Club follows Maya after she moves to the Artic with her boyfriend Ryan and discovers that she may have romanticised the idea of living across the world with him ,as she really is having a struggle ! It's then that she opens up one of her mum's old cookbooks, and her journey begins. I loved the descriptions of the food!!! It was absolutely amazing reading about so many Indian dishes - my brown girl heart was very happy 😂❣️ as somebody who enjoys cooking as well I found Maya's culinary journey especially wonderful (but even if you didn't this is still such a lovely read!)

This book is uplifting, entertaining and enjoyable. I found myself transported to the Arctic, following Maya who has recently moved to be with her boyfriend. It’s evident from the beginning that Maya has mental health issues, and I really like that the book goes into detail about the emotions she is experiencing. I found myself relating to Maya, and I thoroughly enjoyed reading about her journey to self-love and appreciation. I would definitely recommend! Thank you to NetGalley and Avon Books UK for allowing me an eARC in exchange for an honest review.

What a great debut novel from Dani Redd. Maya was so like able and I wanted to hug her when her anxieties took over. She sacrificed so much for everyone as she wanted to please everyone when really she needed to look after herself. I loved the Indian heritage part. The pain of finding out about her childhood made her stronger and enabled her to move on and find happiness. I would like to see the story continue.

I loved this book it is as warm and delicious as the curries it describes. It tells the story of Maya who has followed her boyfriend to Longyearbyen - a town deep in the artic but her anxiety goes through the roof worrying about the cold, the polar bears and just life in general, she fears she will never cut it and retreats to the safety of her bed but when her father announces that he is getting married she travels to India for the celebrations and begins to learn about herself and her life and why she is the way she is. I was really glad when Ryan showed himself for who he was and thought that Maya would get her happy ending which she did, just not in the way I expected. I loved how Maya got her happy ending by realising her own self worth and achieving her own dreams and didn't need anyone else to make her happy. I thought the characters she meets along the way really added to the story and I found myself drawn straight in and not wanting to stop reading. The description of the recipes was perfect,I could almost smell them and really would have loved a recipe section at the back so you could go away and try to recreate her meals! This was a great book that dealt with real emotions and mental health issues that will pick you up and take you away!

Maya relocates to Longyearbyen near the North Pole with her boyfriend Ryan but must contend with more than just the move. He cheats on her, the weather is freezing and she has to try and adapt to the totally new Arctic lifestyle..This makes Maya even more anxious and nervous. After a trip to India, she discovers more about her mother and Indian cooking. Maya faces many challenges in this honest, down to earth and clever tale She has to overcome insecurities in her own way. An optimistic and uplifting cautionary tale. accompanied by lovely food. I enjoyed it immensely. .

I really enjoyed this book.The setting drew me in the book is more then a rom com it deals with mental health and anxiety.Add in delicious food and interesting characters this is a book I will be recommending.#netgalley #avonbooksuk.

A lovely debut novel, bringing together the heat of spice with the chill of the Arctic! Maya has accompanied her boyfriend, Ryan out to the Arctic, to help him follow his dream. Though it's not hers, by any stretch of the imagination. Shrouded in anxiety at every step, the story uncovers different layers of Maya's own story and the reasons for her deep-rooted anxieties, as the inky black nights of the Arctic begin to shed their darkness, revealing new layers of colour along the way. Maya's Anglo Indian background gives her a reason to stay in a place she would never have chosen to be, once her relationship crumbles, as she picks up the reins of her own love, cooking, and slowly begins to experiment with the flavours connected to her childhood. Her mother's handwritten recipes, in an old book, help Maya to create something the Arctic wasn't expecting, and the memories that surface, with every new mouthful of food she creates, helps Maya to discover more and more about a past she had learned to block out. I truly enjoyed this story, with a little hint of romance, but, ultimately, a book filled with self-discovery. It was a tad slow at the start, but as revelations kept popping up, the faster my pages turned. Many thanks to NetGalley and Avon Books for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

The Artic curry club, what’s not to love about this great read. Food, friendship,places I’ve never been. The book gave a real insight to the Arctic and how it would be to visit and explore this idilic location. Maya has her struggles and it’s so sensitively explored and touched upon, gives people with similar struggles a real ‘it’s not only me “ feeling. During the read I could have jumped into the pages and enjoyed the amazing food, I could almost smell the curry cooking. I’m so happy the story concluded with Maya finding happiness in a place she felt she now belongs Really great book that deals with family struggles and anxiety in a real bit sensation way. Looking forward to the next read by Dani Redd 😊

Dear Readers, Aliens and Creatures, things can be tough until you find the right people that match your energy. … It could be because I miss many random things about home. It could be my understanding of figuring out your culture among different cultures… But I loved how smooth, enjoyable and well-written this book was. Maya is half British, half Indian. Her mother was from Delhi, but circumstances landed her in Bangalore where she meets Maya’s British dad, the rest is flowers, chocolate and romance; or so Maya has been led to believe. In truth, much like the slow change from complete darkness to the beginnings of sunlight in the Arctic, Maya goes through a journey of shocks, recovered memories and self-discovery. In the midst of changes, loss and self-discovery she will begin a cooking club using the dishes her mother has painstakingly written and her own skills as a chef, in an attempt to survive and thrive. She will face her own fears and insecurities, polar bears and friends who come to depend on her… all as her memory begins to come back to her piece by piece. Maya was a difficult character to read about because I share similarities and differences with her in equal measure. I was frustrated by her dependency and her unwillingness to try things, simply because she had never done it before, used as an evasive mechanism. I wish she could have seen how amazing she was earlier and that every version of her mattered. TRIGGERS The book touches on different types of trauma with a gentle hand. Mental health, abuse and suicide are weaved into the story, but it is well done and respectful.

real good for a debut!! it had more depth than i thought it would've and was quite a sensory trip with the descriptions of the food and the desolate and wild arctic. i also really liked the how the transition of the arctic environment from the darkness in the polar nights to finally seeing the light is parallel to maya's journey

The setting for this book made me reminiscence about my own Northern Lights adventure - the cold and dark is hard but the beauty of the surroundings great! You emphasised with Maya not really knowing where she fitted in and seemingly also trying to please other people. I enjoyed how food brought back her memories as am a firm believer in smells and tastes locking memories in. A lovely tale and shows you can achieve anything if you really want it.

What a great read! The plot was what go me first. However, I became captivated by Maya's journey toward claiming her own identity. Excellent characterization.

I was so excited to read this book and I was not disappointed. I was expecting chick lit but what I got was so much more and I couldn't put it down.

This was a totally different read to what I was expecting but I certainly wasn’t disappointed by any means. This was a brilliant debut novel from this author and what really stood out for me was the authors from The heart portrayal of what it’s like to live with anxiety through the heart and mind of the main character Maya. I personally feel this is a topic which often gets brushed under the carpet or shied away from so hats off to the author for tackling this complex and sensitive subject head on. This was so much more than the romance story I was expecting and dealt with lots of other issues like love loss and grief and finding yourself and pushing beyond boundaries to achieve happiness and success. The descriptions of the Arctic and the scenes of India and the delightful food all kept of the page with their colourful and life like descriptions and the yin and yang of contrasting places the deep cold chill of the Artic meets the hot sumptuous heat and colours of India all bound together in the pages of the story and in the creation of the Arctic curry club. This is a book that warms your heart but also fills you with many other sad and happy emotions along the way.

I laughed, I got angry, I got sad, I smiled and I loved it. A really well written novel, I loved the story, very clever and unusual. Well written characters and I felt the speed of the plot worked well too. As someone who has lived with manic depression and anxiety since the age of 13 it was refreshing to read a book that was both honest and realistic about the realities of life with a mental health condition. I feel that Dani Redd did a great job portraying both those with mental health conditions and the effects it has on those in their life. Whilst telling a fun story too. The title threw me off a little, I had one idea of where the story would go but it ended up having a different focus & you don't really get to the part where the title makes sense till about half way through. That is no bad thing though, I really enjoyed where the story took me. I would happily recommend this story as a relaxing read, perfect for the autumn / winter. It's the sort of book you can curl up with, get yourself a nice hot choc and cosy up to read. If you do have a mental health condition it might be worth mentioning that elements could be triggering for you. I know some people with anxiety say they like to avoid reading about as they deal with it 24/7, I on the other hand like to read good portrayals of it. It makes me feel like I'm not alone, like I'm not odd or strange. That others go through what I do, they must. Otherwise how would the author have known how to describe it so well!

This was such a stunning debut! I absolutely loved this from start to finish. I was hooked from the very first chapter and it held my attention the whole way through. I could not put this down. Maya was a fantastic main character and one of the most interesting female characters I've read in a while. Her character development was excellent throughout. The supporting characters were just as interesting and really diverse. Both the Arctic and India jumped off the page while I was reading and the location was so vivid and clear. The author was really descriptive with regard to the locations and food. I'm craving an Indian takeaway now and another book by this fantastic debut author!

I started back to work recently, which slowed down my ability to read, since I tend to fall asleep a lot earlier lately. I knew I had to break that rut and The Arctic Curry Club was the perfect book to make that happen. It's a fun, easy read, with a great story behind it. Maya decides to follow her boyfriend to the Arctic circle when he gets a job opportunity to track polar bears. At loose ends, she discovers that Arctic temperatures really aren't for her and that the frozen tundra has left her in a. funk. She turns to cooking Indian recipes from her past, and begins to unravel some long forgotten family secrets. From the title to the cover to the plot, everything about this book just seemed to yell "Read me!" to me and it definitely did not disappoint. Watching Maya struggle and grow is so reminiscent of the early 20s for most of us, minus the polar bears and sub-zero temperatures. Can't wait to see what the author comes out with next.

A raw and fantastic adventure book that is more about self-love and healing than romance, however I absolutely loved it and found the story so captivating as Maya discovers more and more about her long forgotten childhood and the secrets that lie hidden. Infused with mouthwatering recipes and a fire that ignites both wanderlust and a desire to pursue your passions in life, this was definitely a story I won't forget in a hurry.

Interesting story of Maya, who leaves England and goes with her boyfriend to the arctic in northern Norway. Starts out a bit slow, but picks up. Struggling with panic attacks and mental issues, it is no surprise when her boyfriend strays. She does find a job though, and begins to create a combination of Indian/Nordic foods that are a big hit. Really enjoyed this one, and liked that there were paths I figured would emerge but they didn't. Would highly recommend this book, and it will make you hungry. No recipes though, sadly.

An enjoyable read. I’d definitely like to read books by this author again. Will look out for more. Well done.

A cute, quick and easy read that i devoured quickly. It was heartwarming, uplifting and full of cosy imagery. I really enjoyed reading this book.

First off, thank you for letting me review this book! I really enjoyed the story and the characters of this book! The storyline kept me reading until I finished! I loved the characters and how well everyone connected