Dead Mercy

Pub Date 11 Nov 2021 | Archive Date 19 Nov 2021

‘Hugely confident … harrowing, visceral … recommended’ Ian Rankin on Dead Inside

A brutal murder…

A dark history…

A terrible secret…

A brutal murder…

When a burned body is found with its teeth missing, DC Maggie Jamieson...

EDITION Ebook
PRICE A$9.99 (AUD)

Send To Kindle (MOBI)

DC Maggie Jamieson is determined to stop a killer, a brutal killer showing no mercy to his victims. Not only does more than one horiffic murder occur, there soon proves to be a pattern. What is more is that a very specific clue has Maggie and her team convinced that the murders lead to a dark and disturbing past involving certain individuals. Can they stop the vicious killer before the body count continues to rise? Maggie feverishly pushes to get to the bottom of what is going on. While working with her team, someone else enters the mix. That is journalist Julie Noble. Maggie has her reservations regarding Julie's involvement, for professional and personal reasons. For one thing, Maggie does not want any of the facts of the investigation to tip off the killer as they work to get close to stopping them. What is more is that Maggie begins to have a growing interest in Julie on a personal level. As if that is not enough to provide a bit of a distraction to Maggie, she is also concerned about things going on in her home life. Nonetheless, Maggie displays rugged determination concerning the crimes she is dealing with. All while Maggie is pursuing the killer, the voice of this killer is interspersed intermittently in this exciting and tragic story, with their reasons for the savage killings. Thus, a race against time is definitely in play and no matter the danger, Maggie is relentless. This tension-filled fifth book in the DC Maggie Jamieson series is a thrilling read from the very first page, especially as Maggie does not shy away from said danger, pushing herself to her very limits to catch the elusive killer. Although this book is part of a continuing series, each book could do well as standalone novels. However, Maggie has shown such growth, such grit, such determination that reading this series in order is something that I have thoroughly enjoyed. I am already eager for the next book in this fabulous series. Many thanks to One More Chapter and to NetGalley for this ARC to review. This is my honest opinion.

OMG, Noelle gets better and better with every book in this series. This has been another absolute gem, I have been pulled in and kept hostage by this absolutely fantastic read. I love how deliciously dark Noelle gets with these books. This is a lady who creates the best serial killers. I have adored this and it may be my favourite book yet. This has so many wonderful elements. I have nothing negative I can say about this book. It is a truly amazing and gripping read. As always with Noelle, I have found this completely unpredictable. I have definitely felt that Noelle increases the standard with each book and they get better and better. This is without a doubt, a book worthy of all the stars. An amazing read and one I highly recommend.

#DeadMercy #NetGalley Wow. Maggie is getting intersting. When a burned body is found with its teeth missing, DC Maggie Jamieson discovers that the victim may be the husband of one of her probation colleagues. As the body count rises, the team becomes increasingly baffled by how the victims could possibly be connected until a clue leads them to a historical case that was never prosecuted. In order to catch the killer, Maggie must piece together what happened all those years ago before it’s too late. Loved it. Thanks to NetGalley and Harper Collins One More Chapter for giving me an advance copy of this book.

Wow! What a story! It broke my heart what happened to those boys! Hopefully it didn't follow any real life stories?! This book had suspense, intrigue, heartache and heartbreak and a great storyline! I highly recommend reading this book! Its well worth reading! May have some triggers for some that have been abused but a truly touching story! Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for sharing this book with me!

My thoughts about Noelle Holten's Dead Mercy To begin with, I generally refrain from giving a 10/10 rating to every book I happen to fall in love with immediately but this here is an exception. One of the main reasons being that not a single second is boring and the speed with which the narrative moves is refreshing for its hard-hitting suspense.The other being that I am always looking and searching for a good thriller that lights up parts of my brain in all the wonderful ways only a thriller can.This certainly went above and beyond my expectations. Reading 'Dead Mercy is like going on an exhilarating rollercoaster ride which doesn't want to end until the reader is satisfied and has been left completely quenched from their craving for a thriller. It is unique and infinitely creative as far as storytelling goes for the thriller genre.'Noelle Holten's Dead Mercy defines what edge-of-your-seat really means. It masterfully balances all the elements of a great thriller with an intelligence and style that only a handful of books have mastered as of yet. 'The Silence of the Lambs' and 'The Puppet Show' come to mind and in recent times 'The Jigsaw Man,'The Art Of Death and Dead Man's Grave'.'DEAD MERCY' IS ONE OF THE BEST THRILLERS I'VE EVER READ.10/10. Hats off to Author Noelle Holten has done it again with her powerful writing,Dead Mercy is spectacular,and DC Maggie Jamieson is a brilliant character. This is a brilliant fifth book addition to a brilliant series. The story of Dead Mercy begins When a burned body is found with its teeth missing, DC Maggie Jamieson discovers that the victim may be the husband of one of her probation colleagues.A dark history.As the body count rises, the team becomes increasingly baffled by how the victims could possibly be connected until a clue leads them to a historical case that was never prosecuted.A terrible secret. In order to catch the killer, Maggie must piece together what happened all those years ago before it’s too late. I would like to say thank you to Author Noelle Holten, Publishers One More Chapter and Netgally for kindly gifting me a copy,for me to read and review this brilliant book, looking forward to be on the blog tour thanks to Sarah Hardy who is organising the blog tour. ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐💥💥💥💥💥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

I can’t praise this book highly enough. Noelle Holten has all the qualifications, and more importantly the experience, to make her books the most realistic on the shelves, and this is her best yet A great story of the consequences of historic abuse. We read about stories, like the one that forms the basis for this book, in the news papers by far too often. Children abused whilst in care, and nobody doing anything about it. Well now one of the victims is taking things into their own hands, and the retribution is horrific. DC Maggie Jamieson is on the track of a serial killer, and the fact that the people who are being killed have so much to hide is not making her job easy. A cracking book in a cracking series.

I’ll start by saying I was expecting great things from this book as I have loved Noelle’s previous four books. And I wasn’t disappointed. DC Maggie Jamieson is a strong independent police officer, who sometimes struggles a little to work nicely with others. She is a fabulous well rounded character. When she comes face to face with the victim of a brutal killer she is determined to catch the killer, and quickly, before more victims fall prey to him. Because Maggie is sure that this is just the start. The case seems to be linked to historical abuse allegations made by grown up previous residents of children’s homes. And these cases were never prosecuted or even investigated properly. Maggie has a recent personal relationship with journalist Julie Noble. When her boss suggests she assists with this case, Maggie is initially fearful that they might encourage the killer to kill again. However, she is out voted and the journalist makes the case public, hopefully encouraging other victims to come forward. In order to catch this killer, it is necessary to solve the puzzle of the historical abuse. It’s a terrible secret that cannot be allowed to remain a secret for very long as people are dying. This is a tense case that has to be handled delicately. This is a thrilling read from the start. Having read her previous books, it was definitely easy to get into this new book immediately. I’m sure that it would make a good stand alone however, but I’m just as sure a new reader would be tempted to read her back catalogue. And that would certainly be a real treat. I’m already excited for the next in this fantastic series.

Wow, not going to lie this book is absolutely amazing. The best in the series yet, from the gorgeous cover to the very last word. This book will keep you hooked and on the edge of your seat until you finish it - it is extremely pacey abs always keeps you guessing. I absolutely love that Maggie has finally come out of her shell in this book, she has always been so guarded and held back, so I’ve been waiting for this moment for quite sometime and have now developed a HUGE book crush on her. She is an amazing female lead character - probably the best one I have seen written. This was a fantastic addition to the DC Maggie Jamieson series and I can not wait to see what she is faced with next. An absolute 5 star read - no doubt about that.

The fifth book in the Maggie Jamieson and they are just getting better and better. I’m really enjoying this series, easy to read, shortish chapters which keep a great pace and the book is gritty. There’s a murderer out there but can Maggie find out who it is before anyone else dies. Quite a dark story with parts that made me feel the pain. The characters are really building now as we get to know more about them. Great read

DC Maggie Jamieson has to be my very favourite detective! Such a flawed and often bossy character, I can't help but relate! Another great case to solve, another very clever plot and storyline. Looking forward to the next instalment.

Brutal Killings Ripped From (Somewhat Dated-ish) Headlines. Without going into spoiler-y territory, there are themes here that have been in the headlines and have been massive scandals over the last few decades - and which I believe even bigger scandals lay ahead, particularly in the direction this book ultimately goes. The murders here are again particularly brutal, though perhaps not quite as straight up creepy as from Book 4, and this time no team member is imperiled - and yet Holten still manages to ramp up the tension almost as if they are. This is labeled as Book 5, so that alone tells you that it *is* part of a series, and somewhat deep into it at that, but as a police procedural (even a British based one), it is still episodic enough that you can jump into the series with any particular episode, then backfill to see how the relationships amongst the team got to the point you first encountered them. And on that particular front, there are a couple of great reveals in this particular book, one from Jamieson herself and the other from another teammate in the closing paragraphs. Yet another thrill a minute read that will keep you invested through all of its 400 pages. Very much recommended.

This is the 5th book in the DC Maggie Jamieson series and I have to say, they just keep getting better and better. When a burned body is discovered, with identification in the name of one of her colleague's husbands, it looks like this is going to be a case a bit close to home. However, when the body count keeps rising, they soon discover a sinister history may well be behind the motive. With Kate returning to work that week after the ordeal she suffered after the Living Doll case, she worries whether Kate is going to be up to helping them on this case, but she soon proves herself up to the task. I liked how much Bethany seemed to come out of her shell more this time, when she proves how invaluable her skills are to the team as much as the others. As per the other books, you don't need to have read the others in the series, it can be read and loved as a standalone, but I think its well worth reading the whole series to enjoy fully as you get to enjoy the characters development properly. Once again, Noelle has written another cracker which I know readers will love!!

Another great instalment in the Maggie Jamieson series. I have read and enjoyed every one. A well written police procedural about a tough subject that was very informative. I do like the main character but I’m not sure her attitude at times would be tolerated in a real police force!! A great read and look forward to the next instalment.

"Dead Mercy" begins with a brutal opening. Indeed, the subject matter in this book is harrowing though Noelle Holten handles it with sensitivity. She also shows great empathy for desperate people in her writing. Holten gives us a real look behind the curtain of criminal justice through a fictional lens. I love the inside knowledge Holten imparts as regards systems and procedures within the police and probation service. She also demonstrates excellent technical detail. Holten knows her stuff and she knows her craft! The books in this series make for compulsive reading and I am looking forward to the next one.

Let me start by saying that the DC Maggie Jamieson series is one of the best new series in a long time. In a quite saturated field, these books always manage to be gripping, fresh, visceral, and engaging from cover to cover. In this new gruesome adventure a burned body is found in a building. Deliberately set on fire, someone was either covering tracks, or torturing the victim - or both. As the investigation unravels, DC Jamieson discovered the victim may be the husband of one of her probation colleagues. This is only the beginning of what becomes a very dark and complex investigation. As more burned bodies begin to crop up, Jamieson and her team desperately try to find the connection between them to stop the killer. Just what is the connection between these seemingly unconnected people? And why is the killer taking their teeth? The answer needs to be found, and quickly, before the body count continues to rise. I read this book in one sitting. I was gripped by the storyline. I couldn’t stop turning the pages, racing along with Jamieson and her team trying to find the clues to stop the killer. This book really keeps you on the edge of your seat. The entire series is a twisted joy to crime/thriller novel junkies, and I can’t wait until the next one is released! *I received this copy from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

A serial killer with a grudge baffles the police as they struggle to find a link between the victims. There is seemingly no similarity of age, sex, race, looks or any other characteristic they might normally be able to hang their investigation on. Meanwhile as we see snippets of the crimes from the perspective of the killer you find yourself frustrated first with the police, then the killer all the while unable to stop turning the pages in an attempt to get the police to the solution faster! A great read with brilliant characters and lots of twists and turns.