Holocaust Child Lalechka

An Inspirational Story of Survival

Pub Date 2 Sep 2021 | Archive Date 15 Sep 2021

Talking about this book? Use #HolocaustChildLalechka #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

In 1941 at the height of World War II, in a Polish ghetto, a baby girl named Rachel is born. Her parents, Jacob and Zippa, are willing to do anything to keep her alive. They nickname her Lalechka.

Just before Lalechka’s first birthday, the Nazis begin to systematically murder everyone in the ghetto. Her father understands that staying in the ghetto will mean certain death for his child. In both desperation and hope, Lalechka’s parents decide to save their daughter, no matter the cost.

Zippa smuggles her outside the boundaries of the ghetto where her Polish friends, Irena and Sophia, are waiting. She entrusts their beloved Lalechka to them and returns to the ghetto to remain with her husband and parents – unaware of the fate that awaits her.

Irena and Sophia take on the burden of caring for Lalechka during the war, pretending she is part of their family despite the grave danger of being discovered and executed.

Holocaust Child is based on the unique journal written by Zippa during the annihilation of the ghetto, as well as on interviews with key figures in the story, rare documents, and authentic letters. It is a story of hope in the face of terror.

...

EDITION Paperback
ISBN 9781913543075

I don’t even know where to begin with this book … I am emotionally destroyed; I have read many books both fiction and nonfiction around the dark historical period of the holocaust but this one will stay with me for a long time. This book was so incredibly well written, with the narrative in the first person and each chapter featuring a different person. I felt so many emotions when I read this book, anger, sorrow, disgust, horror, hope, relief – I went through them all for this poor child born in the most horrific circumstances imaginable and fighting to survive ever since and the reader is taken on the journey from before her birth all through to the present day. Books like this are so important to make sure that these horrific acts are not repeated and not forgotten, it needs to be heard and is even more emotional as you know this poor child actually went through all of these things. I cannot recommend this enough please read it.

Where do I even start with this book.. I am so emotionally drained after reading it but I think it's incredibly important that the world reads this story.. Based on the annihilation of the ghetto in which they lived, the interviews and journal that this is based on, this book is so beautifully written I couldn't put it down. The fact that you follow the life of Rachel before she is even born, right up until the modern-day.. is heartbreaking. This is the definition of a survival story. The love her parents had for her, is heartwarming to read about, but you also see the struggles she faced through life, and it's hard to imagine everything that happened to all the people affected by the holocaust. A story that is incredibly heart-wrenching, but a must-read to all.

The world needs these books. We need to learn everything we can from the holocaust. We need to educate our children on what happened and ensure it never happens again. A moving poignant read which you will remember after you finish the book. Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for the opportunity to see an arc

Really enjoyed reading this book. Obviously a very poignant read. Hard to read at times. As with all Holocaust books. Worth a read. The book is very well written. Lots of interesting stories to be told.

This was a sad and emotional story of three friends in Warsaw. They remained friends for many years, but war came and tore them apart. Zippy had a baby called Rachel and she did everything to save her life, which included giving her up for her friends who were not Jewish to look After her. Rachel had a hard childhood and was sent from one place to another, until she found peace in Israel. I devoured this book as I can relate to what happened to my ancestors.

Holocaust Child Lalechka by Amira Keidar was a heartbreaking but inspiring book about the love for one mother and her baby daughter told by her friends and their families. This book is a true story of sheer courage of a Jewish family through the most horrific time in World War 2. the survival from the Holocaust You will need tissues and lots of them whilst reading this book. This is a story that has to be told and not hidden under the carpets! It is a story of hope in the face of terror and a must read.