Hide

Pub Date 9 Dec 2021 | Archive Date Not set

Seven friends. One killer. You can run, but you can’t hide…

The Boxing Day hike is meant to bring their nature group together.
Emily, the sister who never lets her hearing loss hold her back.
Lauren, the sister who always feels a step behind.
Morna, who doesn’t get on with Lauren.
Ben, whose feelings for Emily border on obsession.
Dan, the quiet newcomer to the group.
Kai, who isn’t just on the hike to enjoy the wildlife.
And Alec, the one who knows all their secrets.

As the sun sets, a gunshot rings out on the nature reserve.
One of the seven is dead. And one of their number killed them…

The electric new thriller from the author of The Silent House – pre-order now!

Praise for Nell Pattison’s thrillers:

‘Sinister, layered, atmospheric’ Debbie Howells

‘A superb innovation for the crime genre’ Philippa East

‘Delicate, brutal, impossible to put down’ Ross Armstrong

Seven friends. One killer. You can run, but you can’t hide…

The Boxing Day hike is meant to bring their nature group together.
Emily, the sister who never lets her hearing loss hold her back.
Lauren...

EDITION Ebook

I want to express my sincere thanks to NetGalley and Avon Books UK for the ARC of Hide in return for an honest review. This is my first book by Nell Pattison, but am already looking for other books by this dynamic author. This was an outstanding thriller with the tension and suspense maintained throughout. I thought the storytelling was brilliant with a heart-pounding, character-driven plot that made the book impossible for me to put down. Seven people of diverse ages, interests, and backgrounds are attending a hike in a nature reserve focusing on bird watching. The park is closed due to the Boxing Day holiday, but the group has permission to be the only ones admitted. They refer to themselves as the 7 friends, but they are scarcely that. There is conflict and stress from the beginning. Two sisters, estranged and separated for years, hold resentments. There is animosity between the group leader and an older woman who wanted the position, and thinks it should be her duty to guide. An arrogant older man flaunts his superior knowledge of birds and annoys others with his expensive equipment he advises everyone to buy. He has bragged that he knows everyone's secrets, ones they would never want to be revealed. Many are in dread of this apparent threat. They are in a series of blinds to observe a spectacular flight of starlings when a shot rings out. One of the participants has been murdered. Others fear they may be targeted next, and are almost certain that the unknown killer is within their group. The other possibility is deer jackers have entered the park illegally and with guns. The dark night is closing in and it is snowing. The setting is vividly described. What follows is a frantic chase through the woods. Shots are heard at a distance. They are suspicious that the killer is among them, but also frightened that they may be followed by unknown killers. During the run through the darkened forest with the snow-covered ground, they become lost, injured, experience fear and panic attacks. After an argument, the group divides in two, heading in different directions. Neither group can find their way out of the park on the cold, snowy night. Who is being targeted as the next victim (or victims) and why? As more of each character's background is revealed, the killer and intended victim or victims become more of a puzzle. There are surprising reveals and unexpected twists along the way. Once you feel the mysteries are revealed and resolved with things are getting back to normal, there is a diabolical twist at the conclusion. Highly recommended! Review is on Goodreads and will be on Amazon at the time the book is published.

Omg gawd Thank You Avon Books, NetGalley and Nell for once again for this amazing ebook copy! So when I seen Pattison released a new book Hide I had to jump on it and request it. I fell hard for her Silent Series so I had to get my fingers on this one. And girl I'm thankful! Grateful and Thrilled! 😘 Hide was a fun, wild, suspense book that I couldn't get enough of. Utterly compelling, twisty story this book was awesome with such strong writing and terrific storytelling within dynamic character-driven thriller you won't want to miss this story. Nell done a wonderful job of keeping the reader in suspense throughout it all. Again thank you so much for the opportunity to read and review this book I will post to my Goodreads, Facebook and Bookstagram accounts closer to pub date.

A group of seven friends head out on a hike the day after Christmas; it should be a chance to stretch their legs, clear away the cobwebs and catch up . But there will be no chatting and watching the wildlife, instead there will be a murder. I have to say that this book kept me on my toes, I didn’t know who or what to believe. Pattison has penned a winner, one that will keep readers guessing

When I saw a new Nell Pattinson book was out I just had to drop everything and read iti which I did. Wow. Different from the others I have read but no less amazing. The twists and turns and the ending. I was given an advance copy by netgalley and the publishers but the review is all my own.

Holy. Hell. I haven't finished a thriller this fast since Gone Girl, and I was blow away by this. If you are a fan of unreliable narrators and people you can't trust, pick up HIDE. Pattison's writing is akin to Christie's, and HIDE is a refreshing tale in the genre.

This was such a great read, it has everything you could want from a thriller. It is captivating and engaging but also tense and dramatic with plenty of twists that you could never even imagine. I loved the idea of the story line and it really brought the story to life. Lots of characters but who is the one hiding the secret? It's a well thought out plot line with red herrings galore but the story is so good and the ending I didn't believe. I feel like I want to re-read this story again in case I missed anything the first time.

This is a great suspense novel! I loved the fact that the chapters were told in the voice of each of the different characters. It really kept me interested and got a better idea of what was going through that persons mind. There was such a great sense of mystery and what exactly were each persons secrets and who killed who that I found myself wanting to read more and more. The ending is great releasing even more mystery and a wow surprise ending. All in all a great read, highly recommend!!

I'm only 37% through this book so far but I am *freaking* out!! I love it! Its intense, its chilling and has me on the edge of my seat. It's like Cluedo in the swamp. I'm usually a YA kinda girl but I do love the odd thriller and this is not disappointing so far. Back to the crime scene... 64% through and I'm not OK! I've had to turn the light on because I genuinely feel like I'm stumbling through a pitch black woods in blinding snow and trying to outrun a murderer! This book is incredible. The way it's set out with each chapter written from a different character's point of view is perfect but the level of description and character depth really brings it to life. I'm right there beside them. I'm scared, I'm cold and I just want to be out of these woods and safe. OK, I'm done and boy, Did I not see that coming! I was close to guessing one secret but the rest was a total shock which I love. There's nothing worse than guessing the ending half way through so this was perfect because I was waaay off. I highly recommend this book to anyone who loves a thriller, a game of Cluedo, or Mark Edwards' books.

It has the potential to be a perfect way to spend a winters day - in the presence of like-minded companions, with a nature reserve closed to the public, you’re free to wander, watch the wildlife, and enjoy the experience. Until the gunshot is heard. Told from the point of view of each of the seven characters, we learn more about each person’s past, their secrets, and how they’ve come to be part of this loose group of nature watchers. The ability of the author to use the natural enviroment as a place of beauty and also danger is put to good effect in this book. The snap of branches, the snowstorm, and the wildlife makes it easy to form a picture and follow the action from there. The each character a chapter is well done, with the tone of each (annoying superior Alec, for example) making it clear who is placed where in the order of things. I’d definitely look for more of Nell Pattison’s books based on this one. With thanks to Netgalley, Nell Pattison, and Avon Books UK for a copy for review.

This is the first book I have read by this author, but I will definitely be reading more!! I was hooked from the start, and I loved the writing style

The twists. Do I have whiplash? I think I might have whiplash... When I saw that Nell Pattison wrote another book, I was PUMPED. This book can be devoured in one sitting and deserves that type of attention.

Seven friends. One killer. You can run, but you can’t hide… The Boxing Day hike is meant to bring their nature group together. Emily, the sister who never lets her hearing loss hold her back. Lauren, the sister who always feels a step behind. Morna, who doesn’t get on with Lauren. Ben, whose feelings for Emily border on obsession. Dan, the quiet newcomer to the group. Kai, who isn’t just on the hike to enjoy the wildlife. And Alec, the one who knows all their secrets. As the sun sets, a gunshot rings out on the nature reserve. One of the seven is dead. And one of their number killed them… When I read the blurb for this book I was immediately intrigued and had to get reading. I love a good thriller/mystery novel that keeps you guessing and I also love ones that are character driven, which Hide certainly is. Written from the perspective of 7 different characters Pattison has created a page turner that keeps you on your toes and guessing right up until the end, is it her? Him? Them? Anyone? I really enjoyed it and the only reason why I didn’t give it 5/5 was because I thought it was a little drawn out and repetitive at times (eg the same event told from different perspectives but maybe not offering anything new that was crucial to the main plot line) but definitely a fun read that I would recommend. #bookreviewsbymrsc #hide #nellpattison

Hide By Nell Pattison It is always great to find new Authors to add too my shelf and Nell Pattison is one such author that I will add, Hide is a claustrophobic, whodunnit of the highest order. we follow 8 characters with the setting of the nature reserve being one of those 8 and this is what stood out for Me and made the book really work. Seven birdwatchers enter the reserve for a Boxing Day walk to watch the starling murmuration all 7 have secrets and when one killed the fear and paranoia and the struggle to survive the night is at the heart of this story. Pattison tells the story by giving over a chapter to each of the seven as we get events from there POV and as the night draws in and the snow storm begins to fall the reserve takes on a character of its own giving the reader a real sense of panic and fear as our characters start to give in to that fear and the prospect of being hunted whilst trapped in acres of dense snowy marshland. The writing is good and all the main cast has their own unique voice as we the reader try to work out whodunit. Emily who is deaf and has a hearing aid in the form of a Cochlear is so well writing that this only adds to the tension, when ever I found Myself with this one character My heart was going ten to the dozen as she stumbles and runs through the said reserve. The book is really held together by the writing and is very believable as each characters fear and own paranoia really ramps up the tension I also never worked out the killer or how it was done so I tip my hat to Nell Pattison. The book is also elevated by the very last few pages of the book which I never saw coming some may not like this but I found it just clever and great writing. This is a tight and thrilling whodunit and I loved it. Well worth your time and hard-earned cash. I would like to thank Netgally the Author and Avon Books UK for the ARC of Hide in return for an honest review.

First book I've read by this author and I did enjoy it. Emily,Lauren. Morna,Ben,Dan,Kai and Alex all meet on boxing day to birdwatch but 6 of them have a secret and one of them knows their secrets. A gun shot sounds out whose been shot and who do they need to be afraid of? We learn everyone's secrets as the story goes on and I expected a happy ending but it left me surprised. If your looking for a good but not to heavy read I would recommend. Thank you to Netgalley and Avon books for the ARC

I really really really enjoyed this book. I probably would have picked it up in a book shop as the cover was eye catching and bought it. This is a first Nell Pattison book for me but won’t be my last! I love reading books where the characters have a chapter on their own, and this book was written from the perspective of each character. It was well written and each character had their own voice. It also made me want to read faster to get back to that character. Each character has their own hidden secrets which could point any of them to the murderer; and a reason to “shut up” the victim. I predicted some of the outcomes. I thought the setting was a great place to have a ‘who done it’ and you literally felt you were walking around the reserve with the characters and wanted to run for it, I’d have definitely been tripped over some of those tree stumps in the snow. I really enjoyed the book and devoured it in two evenings. I will definitely read more of Nell’s books. Thank you Net Galley for an advance copy and the publisher

I always enjoy to read claustrophobic, whodunnit, trapped in one location and who’s gonna be the last one standing theme! Seven people gathered for Boxing Day Hike as members of birdwatching group finding themselves into wilderness to watch the moves of starlings during Christmas time! I know what you’re thinking! Why don’t they find something more interesting to spend their special holiday instead of following behind the birds and freezing their spines in the middle of nowhere! Get a better life or better hobbies folks! They are not friends as they’re advertised on the blurb. Laureen and Emily are estranged sisters, already dealing with their own resentment and past issues, raisins by foster parents. Lauren gets jealous of her sister’s sudden success by finding an app for hearing impairment. She hates her fancy car, her cozy London apartment when she works her arse off to make ends meet. Ben seems like friendly and sweet mother’s boy with Joe Goldberg vibes who already asked Laureen out on a date and rejected. And now he’s chasing Emily like a child follows the ice cream truck. And he’s still too shy to ask her out, too. Poor weird boy! Morna competes with Lauren for the same job position, thinking that’s her responsibility to lead the group. The beef between them gets escalated at each second. Cat fight alert! Kai seems like having ulterior motives to join their hiking group. He shows different kind of interest to those birds, making suspicious phone calls. Dan, a widower, still suffering from trauma to lose his wife and his unborn child, newcomer of the group. And Alec who already got attention of entire group because of an incident at bar. He screamed at their faces he knew their dirty little secrets! What could he know? He’s just ordinary cocky man suffers from superiority complex , making long talks as if he’s narrator of most boring National Geography documentaries, annoying the hell of the group members. Those mandatory friends find themselves in the middle of wilderness and one of them pulled the trigger. One down, six left! Killer on the loose! All of them give person of interest vibes! Whodunnit? What’s his/ her secret motives? What are those secrets seven of them carry? Well, this book started a little slow for me! Instead of Emily, none of the characters were likable. All of them were irritating and a little unrealistic one dimensional types. In the middle of the story, the pacing fastened and mysterious hunt- prey fight picked my interest for! I was planning to give three stars but the conclusion was good enough to earn half more stars! It’s good to see the least likable character for me was perpetrator. I’m rounding up 3.5 stars to 4 bird watching, 7 perfect strangers, creepy stars! Special thanks to NetGalley and Avon UK for sharing this digital reviewer copy with me in exchange my honest thoughts.

I really enjoyed this thriller it was well written with good characters who I could relate too on some level. It was dark, disturbing, fast paced, atmospheric and brutal. I couldn't put it down, it was gripping. Highly recommended.

This was so much fun! Hide follows a mismatched group of friends as they spend the evening trekking to watch the murmurations. With Emily and Lauren as estranged sisters, newly reacquainted, also having back stories along with POV from the other characters, Pattison weaves a web of suspense, deceit, and thrills. I was gripped and read it in a few sittings as I wanted to know what had happened. So many twists that I didn't see coming which I love. Highly recommended. With thanks to Netgalley and Avon for the opportunity to read and review.

An engaging read with an interesting cast of very flawed characters! It’s been awhile since I’ve picked up a book that had me hooked right from the start. I thoroughly enjoyed the beginning of this book and had a hard time putting it down. We are introduced to a group of 7 characters that form an unlikely bond through bird watching. What an unusual hobby to include in a thriller, but Pattison makes it work. We learn quickly that each character has a bit of a secret to hide, and I found myself burning through the first few chapters so I could learn more about each one and try to figure out what the heck was going on. The group sets out on an evening excursion in a large nature reserve with no cell service to be found. Before long, one of them is dead and the remaining group members are left to wonder if the killer is among them, or if they are prey for an unknown predator. The goal becomes reaching safety and cell service, which is no easy task. While some of the characters make frustrating decisions, and some are downright unlikable, it all weaves together to make a narrative with a decent amount of suspense. I think Pattison does a great job of foreshadowing the twists without making them too obvious. I appreciated the resolution, although I can’t say it was a huge shock for me. My only gripe: in the second half of the book there are few events that are far-fetched and don’t make sense with what we have learned about the characters and the setting in the first-half of the book. I’ve learned to overlook this type of inconsistency in the thriller genre as I see it often. Not everyone can be Agatha Christie and I’ve learned to stop expecting that. If you go into this book wanting a quick and entertaining read, you will not be disappointed. I’m thinking those with negative reviews were expecting a literary masterpiece. Take it at face value and enjoy the ride. Thanks to Avon books, Nell Pattison, and Netgalley for a free copy of this book in exchange for a fair review.

A nature groups walk on Boxing Day goes from bad to worse when the seven members lose one of their own to a gun shot. Who did this, was one of the group responsible? As we travel further into the book it seems the group is more connected to each other than any of them anticipated. Revenge and mistrust are at the heart of this thriller and the end was fab… I’m saying no more.. really great book

Entertaining read. It was different than a lot of the thrillers I've been reading lately, which was nice. The entire book takes place in the span of one night on a nature reserve in rural England. On this night, there is a murder at the reserve and the characters find themselves running from a killer, through the woods, in the middle of a snowstorm. The narration is through seven POVs. As a reader, you don't trust any of the characters, so you're constantly guessing who is telling the truth and who has ulterior motives. I definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a murder mystery/thriller.

A very quick and easy locked room thriller to finish in one of two sittings. The writing was good!! The pace is steady and picks up by the end.

Seven friends. One killer. You can run, but you can’t hide… The Boxing Day hike is meant to bring their nature group together. Emily, the sister who never lets her hearing loss hold her back. Lauren, the sister who always feels a step behind. Morna, who doesn’t get on with Lauren. Ben, whose feelings for Emily border on obsession. Dan, the quiet newcomer to the group. Kai, who isn’t just on the hike to enjoy the wildlife. And Alec, the one who knows all their secrets. As the sun sets, a gunshot rings out on the nature reserve. One of the seven is dead. And one of their number killed them… This was brilliant, the twists and turns and the ending!!!!! Never read anything by the author before and now I'm going to be searching out their back catalogue. Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for a copy in exchange for an honest, unbiased review.

First of all, thank you very much to NetGalley, Avon, the author, and the publishers for allowing me to read and review Hide. Overall Rating 4.2/5 Hide follows seven friends who set out on a nature trip as a group. After a tragedy very soon into the trip, everyone is thrown off balance and it becomes clear that almost nobody is who they say they are. With secrets, lies, and revenge, Hide makes a great thriller and kept me on the edge. Thrillers/ Murder Mysteries are not usually my go to pick when it comes to reading, but I have to say, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book as somewhat of an introduction to the genre. I enjoyed the writing and the pace, and I think that the book did what it was supposed to. The plot twist was a little predictable but fun nonetheless. If this is an introduction to the genre, I think it could be a great pick! Can't wait to write a review on this soon on my blog. Thank you again NetGalley and Avon.

Seven members of a nature walking group meet on boxing day with plans to watch the starling murmuration. One of the group is found dead and the other six members are the only suspects. They all have their own secrets to hide that the victim may have known about. They’ve got to try and get out of the nature reserve, get help and stay alive. This is a claustrophobic thriller which slowly reveals more about each character. It’s quite similar in style to Lucy Foley’s novels, in that a dead body is found in a remote/enclosed location with a limited number of suspects and the narration moves between members of the group. It kept me guessing for a while, whilst I worked out some of the secrets I hadn’t guessed the killer. There is a final dark reveal that I found intriguing. Overall it was an enjoyable read.

I found this book a bit hard to get into. It was very slow moving but having enjoyed the author's work before I decided to keep going. I'm so glad I did. About halfway through, the story seemed to take off and the tension was ramped up. I had no inkling about the various characters' secrets and the identity of the killer was a total shock. But that was nothing compared with the jaw-dropping final chapter. What an awesome ending.

This was a terrific thriller. Seven characters, one victim in a closed setting. What set this book apart was the physical setting—a nature reserve closed off from the rest of the world by a snowstorm. The suspense was intense and I couldn’t put the book down!

This one for me was a little slow starting and then introduced the main 7 characters very quickly, I kept trying to remember who's who. Once I got past that, and the suspense built up, I was intrigued. The second half of the book unravels lots of secrets and I changed perceptions of them all quite quickly. Entertaining. And THAT ending. Wow.

What a book! Read it in two sittings because I had to know what happened next! Lauren & Emily are sisters who have met again after eleven years after Lauren turned eighteen & left the care home they lived in. Lauren works at a nature reserve & a group of people including Emily, meet on Boxing Day to go & see the murmurations. Each of the group is carrying a personal secret close to their chest & this outing brings everything to the surface. Great writing, great tension & great story. Recommended read.

Alright- so I was excited about this because it reminded me a lot of Agatha Christie’s ‘And then there were none’ This story is about 7 friends (I would say friends very lightly- more like people who all appreciate wildlife and so meet ups) You get to read from all 7 perspectives, which I will say I didn’t care for. It made it hard to follow and sometimes I had to go back and remember who was talking. It’s definitely a fun thriller and you are constantly trying to figure out who the “bad guy” is. I was pleasantly surprised by the ending and was kind of left going “whaaaaat??” If you like thrillers and something that makes you analyze characters and try to figure out “who done it” then I would recommend this book.

Loved it! A who dunnit with the weather as an extra character. Really enjoyed it and read it in a very short space of time. You know a books good if you get up thinking about when you can next read and go to bed hoping you can read for hours with dropping off to sleep too soon.

I love a good who dunnit thriller/mystery and Hide by Nell Pattison doesn't disappoint. Set in the dark on a nature preserve makes it all the more thrilling. Add in seven unlikable characters with secrets and we've got a great story. I love how the author really makes you suspect each character and you're questioning everything you've read only to be surprised by another secret revealed. The end will shock you!! Thank you Netgalley for the advanced e-book of Hide by Nell Pattison in exchange for my review.

Hide is the perfect wintery thriller, set the day after Christmas, Boxing Day. A group of amateur naturalists go on a special hike in order to see a starling murmuration. During the hike, one of the group is murdered and the rest fear for their lives. This book is set with multiple narrators and the story slowly unfolds as you learn a bit of each of their individual stories. Each person has a secret and it seems as though each one has a motive to keep their secret undiscovered. This book has all the clues, but keeps you guessing until the very end. I really enjoyed this book. This was the first time I read this author, so I didn't know what to expect. I found the element of sharing the experience of someone who is deaf particularly interesting, as my higher education was involved with working with deaf people. I felt that the author did an amazing job of describing with life is like for a deaf person without being patronizing. There wasn't anything too scary or gory about this book. You knew what happened but gruesome details weren't included. I appreciate that. I want the thrill without the nightmares. This fit the bill. Overall, I really enjoyed this book. I'm not sure why but the ending was fell a bit flat for me. I just can't put my finger on it, but the ending didn't satisfy me as I had hoped it would. All in all, this book is very worth it. Honestly, it reminded of the television series, Broadchurch, without the police element. I would recommend this book and I'd love for a friend to read it to see what they think about it! Thank you to NetGalley and Avon Books UK for the complimentary copy of this book in exchange for my unbiased opinion.

Another great who did it story, honestly this type of books are my absolute favourites and ‘Hide’ was up there. The mystery of this book was a good layout of thrill/suspense. Throughout the book it had me questioning a few times who the killer was. The characters were very well written, we had so unlikeable characters, many secrets and more. The author has this effect on you as I was always questioning myself on each of the characters whether they were the one. The ending okay, wasn’t expected but also a good shock(?), anyway I wasn’t expecting the ending. Very much enjoyed this book and I would recommend 5* Many thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for my ARC in exchange for my honest review.

RATING: ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ 🌟.5/5 • SYNOPSIS: Several acquaintances decide to go watch the murmuration of birds 🦅 🐦 using special access on the reservation. While there and all split up, they hear a gun shot 😱 and realize there’s a murderer in the woods. One problem though: they are supposed to be the only ones there. 🤷🏼‍♀️ • PROS: I DEVOURED this novel and loved everything about it. Nell Pattison combined the perfect blend of suspense 😱 and plot twists 🪢 ,keeping me hooked until the very end. • • CONS: NOT A THING

Wow what a story, although I had guessed the relationship between 3 of the characters, the ending just blew me away. A really good read.

Trigger Warnings: murder, stalking, overdose, child neglect, stealing This novel follows the story of seven friends who go together to a wildlife retreat in order to observe the birds. They all have secrets to hide that involve others in the group too, but only one of them knows everyone’s secrets. When Alec is found murdered, they all start to panic and try to think which one of them could have such a big secret that was worth killing Alec for so that the secret dies with him. As the night comes and snow starts falling, they start to panic when they realize how far in the woods they are and how much they have to go back to the visitor center in order to be able to call the police for help. The panic grows inside each of them since they can’t know for sure who is the murderer amongst the group and if they have a second target. The first 20% of the book went a little bit slow until I I got used to the characters, but once I became invested in their stories, it was such a fast pace to read. I was completely hooked and eager to find out how it ends. I loved that the suspense and twists kept coming up to the very last paragraph of the book and the last sentence was a jaw-dropper. I am still thinking about it and I can’t believe how twisted the characters were and I’ll always wonder about the way it ended. I liked that the story was told in the first person’s POV from all the seven characters' perspectives. It was interesting seeing how each and every one of them felt without the truth being revealed towards the end. I was skeptical about this book at first, but it totally exceeded my expectations, so glad I gave it a go! Read this if you like: Multiple POVs Who did it? Outdoor adventures Complex characters with dark personalities Short chapters Thank you so much NetGalley and Avon Books UK for the gifted digital ARC in exchange for an honest review!

7 friends join each other for a walk around a nature reserve on Boxing Day on a special arrangement. No one else is allowed in. So when 1 member of the group is killed, it means one of the group is the killer. But who? An enjoyable read with the story told by each member of the groups perspective which I felt helped build up the suspense of the book. Many of the groups had secrets they did not want to get out. Another superb book by Nell Pattison.

Thanks to NetGallery for the ARC in exchange for an honest review. This was a really fun read---I went through it in a day. I almost didn't want to read this book because majority of the time I am disappointed in mystery/thriller crime/whodunits and I dislike changing perspectives in books, but not here. With a cast of six characters (members of a bird watching group visiting a nature sanctuary on Boxing Day), I was interested. The cast: There is Lauren and her sister Emily, who have been estranged for many years and are looking to reconnect their relationship. There is Morna, a volunteer who was passed up for a full-time job at the sanctuary who is always clashing with Lauren, a full time employee. Ben, the quiet one, the "nerd" who lived at home with his mother and is really into Emily. Kai, one of the newer members who has shifty reasons for being part of the group. Dan, the newest member of the group and another quiet one. And then Alec, the know-it-all expert who is condescending and who at the group's Christmas dinner reveals that he knows secrets about each person there. The delivery: Even with all these perspectives, this book delivered when it came to wanting to find out what happened next. When a shot rings out and one of the group is murdered, the rest of the party split up to try and find help and chaos ensues. It was refreshing that little reveals were slipped into each person's perspective and peppered around instead of being made out to be gigantic deals. The culprit is revealed about 80% through the book and I think the way it comes to be when we get that viewpoint is great. The ending has a twist and one I greatly enjoyed. I especially liked the dynamic between the two sisters. With growing up in foster care, Emily's hearing impairment, and underlying jealously and resentment I found it to be unique and captured my interest through the end. There is some repetition in the retelling of certain events from multiple perspectives that at times got a little tiring, but overall----wow. I think Pattison hit this one out of the park. First book I've read by this author and I did enjoy it. Well worth the read and recommendation.

Excellent read. The tension ratcheted up to the very end with a stunning twist at the end. Finished this over a weekend. Highly recommended.

I really ended up liking this book. This first 30% dragged a little, but it soon ramped up. If you like locked room style books, this is for you!

You'll definitely be left with your jaw on the floor and your head spinning. This book was just so beautifully written and atmospheric. I love that it's written from the various characters perspective and that not too much is given away too soon. You may think you know that you know... but you don't know! Not u time you finally race to the end of this amazing book

Seven friends, one killer...... It’s definitely a fun thriller and you are constantly trying to figure out who the “bad guy” is. I was pleasantly surprised by the ending and was kind of left going “whaaaaat? loved it!

And she does it again! 😍, The ‘Silent’ series is one of my favourites, so as soon as I saw that this standalone was available to request, I quickly trotted off to @netgalley I love the authors writing style and how she built up the characters, so you fully understood them and their personalities. It was interesting to see how they came together as a group and their roles within it. This was a atmospheric and eerie read, I really felt like I was in the woods with them, there were plenty of twists and I was changing my mind constantly on what the outcome would be! A must read for any thriller fan! Thank you to @netgalley and @avonbooksuk for the advanced readers copy in exchange for an honest review.

When a group of friends meet for a winter’s hike full of bird watching and fresh air, they are faced with a murder of a friend and the awful knowledge that one of their own might be the killer. This page turner had me guessing until the very end and even when I finished - I wanted to know more! The bonds of family and friendship are put through the test in this mystery

For some reason this one kept getting put at the bottom of my "to be read" pile. I was wrong!!! I loved it when I eventually got around to reading it. Great plot and I was kept guessing.

This was an enjoyable thriller for me & the first book I have read by this author. Highly recommended by me.

I have been a fan of Nell Pattison's books for a while and I was so glad that I got a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review. We meet seven friends "Emily, the sister who never lets her hearing loss hold her back. Lauren, the sister who always feels a step behind. Morna, who doesn’t get on with Lauren. Ben, whose feelings for Emily border on obsession. Dan, the quiet newcomer to the group. Kai, who isn’t just on the hike to enjoy the wildlife. And Alec, the one who knows all their secrets." Each individual meet up on Boxing Day at a nature reserve to do some bird watching - they have the whole reserve to themselves as Lauren and Morna both work at the reserve. The setting is cold and snowy and can really transport the reader to the atmosphere. Nell Pattison writes from each characters point of view so you get to hear from each character. I personally found each character very intriguing but I did find myself forgetting who was who!!! Anyway the groups splits up and there is loud gunshot and one of the group is found dead....but who did it!!! The premise of this book is great - I found I did skim read some bits but I ultimately did enjoy this book. Some parts were extremely far fetched - but lets face it, its not real life. Nell Pattison really sets the theme of this book, its a cold and thrilling read that will stay with you for a good time afterwards. Thanks to NetGalley, Nell Pattison and the publisher for allowing me a copy of this book in exchange for my review.

Absolutely Brilliant An unpredictable thriller that reveals twists for each and every character! A huge thank you to Avon Books UK & NetGalley for giving me accessing to this novel. 'Hide' is due to be released on the 9th of December 2021. Nell Pattison has included her passion for deaf education in a smart thriller that involves seven friends and one killer. As a major fan of surprises and new revelations in novels, I thoroughly enjoyed reading Hide! The ending is going to be a main discussion point for readers everywhere

Thank you to NetGalley, Nell Pattinson and Avon Books UK for an ARC of Hide. I found this to be an outstanding thriller full of tension and suspense. A group of 7 people are meeting at the local nature reserve on Boxing Day, to view a starling murmuration. I wouldn't call the 7 characters friends, more acquaintances with plenty of hidden secrets. One of the group is shot and killed and from there we're led through the group's efforts to escape. Who is the killer? It could be anybody, I kept changing my mind. Mistrust is rife and heavy snows add to the claustrophobic feel of the book. The story unfolds and I was able to work out any twist just before it happened - which I love to do. A cliche but I was unable to put down this book!

An enjoyable thriller by Nell Pattison. Seven friends go on a nature walk after Christmas. They are all hiding secrets which one of them seems to know. When one of them is murdered, they are all left suspecting one another. With each chapter told from a different point of view, and their secrets gradually revealed, this story keeps you guessing until the end.

Seven birdwatchers set out into the nature reserve to watch a special bird murmuration. Some of them have known each other for years, some only a few months. After an altercation in the pub a few nights previously, there’s also tension between them. One of them, Alec, insinuated he knew all their secrets – and some of them really don’t want those secrets to get out. Not long into the hike, one of them is dead. Is the murderer someone in the group, or is someone on the reserve who shouldn’t be? The ‘who is the murderer in the group’ trope is one of my absolute favourites and for some reason, I LOVE snowy settings! (Maybe because we don’t have any where I live, it just seems extra spooky 😄). I was kept guessing the whole time, not only about who the murderer could be, but about the secrets of the individual characters as well. I really enjoyed the suspenseful nature of this author’s writing and could just about feel the cold seeping into my bones through the pages! Emily was one of my favourite characters, deaf since she was a child, she had invented an app to assist people who are hearing impaired, making her fortune along the way. My least favourite character was her jealous, spiteful sister Lauren. What a piece of work she was! Piecing together the puzzle, while the character’s secrets were revealed, was fun and engrossing. The chapters alternated between multiple points of view from each character, allowing us as the reader to be the only one discovering the real truth along the way. If you love wintery murder mysteries that keep you guessing, add this one to your TBR!

Thank you so much NetGalley for allowing me to read this book for an unbiased review. Heart thuddingly (I made it up), suspenseful, atmospheric murder mystery with a superbly enticing plot, and an ending that I didn’t prepare my neck for! “Hide” had me gripped from the outset, and I read throughout the early hours as I didn’t want to leave the characters behind with a murderer. Seven people who loosely know each other via the Nature Reserve; all with their own secrets; all with their own agenda embark on a ramble to view the starling murmuration, one is murdered and the others are all under suspicion from each other. My heart pounded as each person had their own opportunity for narrative and perspective, and I am going to look for more books by this author. I can not wait to tell everyone this is a must read. Thank you again.

I have read Nell Pattison’s previous novels and have thoroughly enjoyed them and this is no exception. A group of seven individuals are going out for a boxing day hike on a nature reserve to go bird watching. They all know each other and some are more friendly than others, creating conflict and tension from the beginning. Two sisters, one of whom wears specialist hearing aids, who were estranged for several years are attending along with a small party who are allowed on the reserve even though it is closed to the public on Boxing Day. Cleverly plotted with numerous twists and turns which is expected from this author and the ability to bring them all together for a tense, entertaining ending. Thank you to NetGalley, Avon Books and Nell Pattison for my ARC of Hide in return for my honest review. Good read, recommended.

I will admit that I was surprised when I opened this to find out that the cover had completely misled me about the setting. Lots of snow and I assumed we would be in a snowy landscape. Half right - there was snow but we were on a nature reserve with bird-watchers! Nothing wrong with bird-watchers, I have been one myself. The thing with bird-watchers is that you get a very varied collection of individuals and that is the case here. Lauren is a warden on the reserve and arranges for the little Nature Club to have access to the closed reserve on Boxing Day to watch the evening starling murmurations. So, 7 characters in the dusk in a closed nature reserve - the perfect ingredients for a claustrophobic thriller - and as one of the characters is deaf, that adds another level. This group are together for the bird-watching, they are not really friends even though the blurb describes them as such. They are of different ages from twenties to seventies and they all seem to have secrets which Alec, the annoying birding geek of the group, seems to have discovered. As someone who has in the past volunteered on a reserve, I can catergorically state that people like Alec exist on every reserve. Anyway - when one of the group ends up murdered, the remaining six all look at each other with suspicion. As dusk becomes darkness and snow starts to fall, the group split to try to return to the centre to get help. The story is told from each character's point of view - we hear their voice, their fears and their secrets. The game of cat and mouse is played with the reader as we have to decide who is a reliable narrator and who we can trust and who we need to fear. The finger of suspicion points first at one character and then at another and the threatening atmosphere within the woods where all is dark, where snow impedes vision is beautifully described. Did I guess who did it? Not in the beginning. As secrets were revealed, motives for murder changed and so the 'murderer' changed. The ending does have a twist and while I had guessed a part of it, I had not foreseen the whole of it. An enjoyable thriller from an author that I had not picked up before. Thank you Netgalley.

This was a fab atmospheric thriller featuring seven acquaintances on a Boxing Day bird watching trip on a closed nature reserve. When one member is shot in one of the hides it leaves the other six full of suspicion of the others. The isolated location, inclement weather and the dynamics between the group members made this a great page turner and I enjoyed reading the story from each different perspective. The individual stories gradually unfolded really well and the end was chilling. 9/10

I loved this book. It's an intense thriller full of little twists and turns and secrets right up to the last page. I loved learning about the different members of the group and the way the story is told from each of their point of views throughout the book This definitely kept me interested and pulled me in to carry on reading until the end .

This is the first book i have read by Pattison but I sincerely doubt that it will be the last. Thrilling from start to finish, you are kept guessing throughout as to who is responsible for Alec's death and what their motivation is.

Told in turns by all of the characters and yet still leaves the reader unclear as to who or what is at the root of this whodunnit. Characters are realistically portrayed with each having a possible motive to confound both the other characters and the reader. A plot that keeps revealing one more step right to the very last pages.

My thanks go out to Netgalley for the ARC copy of Nell Pattisons Hide. This is easily the furthest ahead book I have had a chance to read. 7 "friends" head to a nature reserve focused on bird watching. The park is closed because of a new years holiday, With twists an turns Long the way you learn are a plenty and the character inter. There is murder on the air and this time it has nothing to do with crowds

ⒷⓄⓄⓀ ⓇⒺⓋⒾⒺⓌ Hide Author: Nell Pattison Genre: Psychological thriller, Murder mystery My Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐ Thanks to the publisher Avon Books UK and Netgalley for sending this review copy to me. The story starts with a group of people who works for a reservoir specially treating birds, deers and several other kinds of animals. The timeline of the story starts on the morning after Christmas, when the group is getting ready to meet up to see a rare murmuration of birds. Things are a little tense in the group, since none them are emotionally close to each other, and things definitely get a lot worse when they suddenly find one of the teammates dead from a shotgun wound, and another one hit in the head. They all panic and get divides into groups to be able to call for help, all the while suspecting each other of being the murderer. The main attraction of the story is the suspense of running through the dark reservoir, the limit and map of which is not exactly known to anyone. On top of that, nobody can trust each other, the chase and run being unbearable and a cause for anxiety in most of the book. Almost after 80% of the book the main mystery comes into focus, and that is when things begin to clear up a little. If all the chase and run sequence could have been a little concrete, the story would wind up a long while back. Anyway, the treat at the end is the unveiling of the curtain to reveal the actual cause and motive of the whole incident, which also gives hint to a more sinister beginning of another story.

First time for me reading this author, but it won’t be my last. This was a fast paced thriller that kept me guessing. Love it! Thanks to NetGalley, author and publisher for an advance digital copy in exchange for a honest review.

Hide is a taut edge-of-your-seat thriller, and it was so good I could only read it when my son was asleep because once I was reading I lost myself in it. “As I see their face turn in my direction, their eyes light on me and narrow. I feel a jolt of fear. Is this the killer? I have a horrible feeling I’m right though I don’t know why did it, or why they’re after me now. All I know is that I have to start running again.” Lauren works at a nature reserve in Lincolnshire and along with her sister and five friends they get permission to visit the reserve on boxing day when it is usually closed to the public. The plan is to watch the starling murmuration but tensions within the group arise and before long on of their number is dead. The thing I liked the most about Hide was that it was less about the murder and more about the interaction between the characters. It felt real and it kept me guessing right to the end. I loved how twisty the book is and that you don’t know if one of their number Is the killer or if someone else is one the reserve and the weather and desolation of the reserve only add to the tension. Also, its not often that I get to read books set in Lincolnshire and it always excited me when I come across one. Hide was a solid five stars for me.

Thank you Netgalley and Avon Books UK, Avon for the arc of this book. I am a huge fan of this author's "silent" series. This book had an interesting premise, and if you liked "locked room" thrillers, you will like this one. I didn't love any of the characters, and kept confusing the men because they were so similar. The story was creepy and so much was going on, though some of the "lost in the woods" went on too long. The end was a surprise, and the VERY end was even more of a surprise, but maybe a bit over the top.

Having read all of Nell Pattison's previous books I was very much looking forward to a new standalone book from her. And it did not disappoint. Even though there were many characters, this was handled well as you could differentiate who was who and were rooting for certain characters to keep going. The pacing was great and because of this and the storyline, it kept me on the edge of my seat. I liked the suspense that was created and the fact that it could have been any of them. I'm always a fan of the chapters alternating the character's POVs and that was done well in this. The way the setting was built up also made it feel like you were really there. I will definitely be reading more from Nell Pattison and she has easily become one of those authors that I would pick up any of her books going forward, as I'm such a fan. Thank you to Netgalley for providing me with an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Nell Pattison is one of those authors that has managed to shock me a couple times, as my expectations were much lower than what I got! I love this type of story, although it’s not for everyone. Well written, intense, and lots of fun thrills, chills, and twists! Highly recommend!

A Boxing Day hike is supposed to be a joyful experience for the 7 people in the birdwatching group but will this be the enjoyable hike they planned? Not all of them will come out of the woods. The characters are a mixture of nice and unlikable but they all have lies and secrets. As always Nell’s books are enjoyable and this was no different. Thank you to netgalley and the publishers for this arc in exchange for my honest review.

"We all have those moments we wish we could relive and do differently." This is a story of seven friends who enjoy birdwatching together. On Boxing Day, they all decide to meet up at a nature reserve. But one of them has more than birdwatching on his/her mind. With tensions mounting and inclement weather coming in, they'll find themselves trapped in an isolated forest with no one around to help or hear them scream. All of them have secrets and regrets, but only one of them has secrets worth killing for. This a character-driven novel. We get the POV of each of the seven characters throughout the book. The personalities of the characters as well as their relationships with each other are well fleshed out, which made for rich characterization and personal dynamics. I'm more of a plot-driven fan, but I did enjoy the character introspection and the frisson of tension amongst the group. Some parts of the story did lag for me and could do with an edit, however, by the end of the book I had so many intense feelings for these characters. How can you feel so much outrage/sympathy/hope/despair/anger for fictional people? Somehow, Nell Pattison was able to give me all the feels. The ending of the book was a choice, and I don't know if I love it or hate it. I haven't had this intense of an emotional reaction to a character since reading 'What the Dead Know' back in 2007. I kept going back and forth between 3 and 4 stars but, because of the amount of hate I have for this character, I had to up it to 4 stars. After all, it has been almost fifteen years since I got this riled up over a character. Additional things I enjoyed: ~I feel like nature lovers (like myself) will love the setting and the birdwatching element. ~The inclusion of a deaf character was interesting and insightful. Emily's hearing impairment upped the intensity of the situation while also serving to be inspirational due to her strength and determination. If your a fan of character-driven novels and/or locked-room style mysteries, I recommend this book. Thanks to NetGalley for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.