The Undiscovered Deaths of Grace McGill

The must-read, incredible voice-driven mystery thriller

Pub Date 20 Jan 2022 | Archive Date 20 Jan 2022

Talking about this book? Use #TheUndiscoveredDeathsofGraceMcGill #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

'A dark, disturbing and highly original thriller' MARK BILLINGHAM

'Dark, twisted and compelling, you won't want Grace to clean your house . . .' C.L. TAYLOR

Death is not the end.
For Grace McGill, it's only the beginning.

When people die alone and undiscovered, it's her job to clean up what's left behind - whether it's clutter, bodily remains or dark secrets.

When an old man lies undetected in his flat for months, it seems an unremarkable life and an unnoticed death. But Grace knows that everyone has a story and that all deaths mean something more.

A STAND-OUT NOVEL WITH A UNIQUE NARRATIVE VOICE AND AN UNGUESSABLE MYSTERY, YOU ARE GUARANTEED TO REMEMBER GRACE McGILL.

'A dark, disturbing and highly original thriller' MARK BILLINGHAM

Death is not the end.
For Grace McGill, it's...

4 - 5 stars Who is Grace McGill? Who indeed. She’s a death cleaner, that person who goes in after a body is found that may have been undiscovered for a while. However, there’s much more to Grace than this unusual career, oh yes, so much more .... she doesn’t just clean up the Glaswegian properties, she also likes to clean up mysteries too. Grace tells her incredible story. Wow! This book starts dramatically and grabs your attention immediately and it’s one of those novels that is genuinely hard to put down. The premise is fantastic and I think it’s fair to say it’s unique and kudos to the author for that. You hear Grace's voice clearly as she takes you on a real journey. At times she’s darkly funny, she’s a loner except for George the cat, at others she’s almost a tortured soul and her voice becomes almost haunting in its tone. She’s obsessive and as she tells her tale you can see she has a compulsion to seek the truth no matter how much it may cost her. At heart she’s an unhappy but very good soul and much of her unhappiness can be laid at the feet of her appalling father whose characterisation is excellent, as you see him for the lowlife he definitely is. I don’t want to give too much away about what unfolds but let’s settle for a very messed up, dark mystery set in the past and as the reader makes sense of the clues Grace gives us or the discoveries she makes, it becomes even darker and dangerous. Although I do guess some parts of it that is irrelevant as the storytelling is so powerful that you are swept along in it and there are plenty of surprises still to come. Overall, a twisted story of undiscovered deaths and twisted minds, of people of little or no morality and Grace right in the thick of it, setting records straight and doing good in her own inimitable way. With thanks to NetGalley and especially to Hodder and Stoughton for the much appreciated arc in return for an honest review. Will post to Goodreads when the book appears there and to retail sites on publication day.

Wow! What an absolute stunner of a book. This was so different to a lot of the books out there at the moment. Totally gripping and thrilling and I couldn't stop reading it although I really didn't want to finish it!

I really enjoyed this book. It was a great storyline with excellent characters. I would highly recommend this book as it was a great read.

A Premise That Gratifyingly Delivers…. What an intriguing premise. A premise that, gratifyingly, delivers the goods in spades and does so with a superbly well drawn cast of characters and a rather unique, well written, often dark narrative. Compelling and wholly engaging reading. Top notch.

I loved this book it had a very Rear Window feel to it. The idea that someone who sees what you’re up to but doesn’t necessarily interact with you. The story was engrossing and I couldn’t wait to see where it would go. I highly recommend this.