Hidden Lessons

Growing Up on the Frontline of Teaching

Pub Date 16 Sep 2021 | Archive Date 15 Sep 2021
Hodder & Stoughton, Hodder Studio

Talking about this book? Use #HiddenLessons #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

'Beautifully written, Hidden Lessons is both a heart-rending account of the challenges in our education system, and a heart-warming celebration of teachers and students who have triumphed through adversity. The pride Mehreen has for her community and the lives she has touched is palpable.' - DAVID LAMMY
~~~~~~~~~~~~
You're in at 7am, there until 7pm and marking into the late hours. You've got one student who's a full time carer, another who's pregnant, and a third who's just joined a gang. You haven't got enough textbooks to go around, and one of the parents just called you an 'extremist'. You've just gone through a devastating heartbreak and you have to teach Romeo and Juliet to 30 hormonal 14 year olds.

Welcome to life as a teacher.

This is a world that all of us know, but most of us have completely forgotten. It's a world where you're working 50 hour weeks, but you're still just a part-time teacher because the rest of the time you're a security guard, a nurse, a counsellor, or a friend. It's also a world where you spend all day with some of the most interesting people you know. And even when the lesson plan has been abandoned, you're still learning.

Mehreen started teaching at 21, and by the time she left 10 years later she'd learnt a bit about teenagers and a lot about life. This is her story.

As someone who works within a school. I have read several of similar books that show the behind the scenes of teaching. The way that this book was written it took me a while to get into as the prose is fairly free form. I enjoyed the anecdotes of the students.