In the Meadow of Fantasies

Pub Date 2 Nov 2021 | Archive Date 22 Sep 2021
Archipelago, Elsewhere Editions

Talking about this book? Use #IntheMeadowofFantasies #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Written by the winner of IBBY's Best Book Award, Mohammad Hadi Mohammadi, In the Meadow of Fantasies is one girl's luminous escapade into a land of seven mysterious horses.

A young girl with a physical handicap gazes up at a mobile of spinning horses from her little pink bed in her room filled with leafy plants. As she watches them prance about, the tufted snout of a real live horse peeks through her bedroom door. Soon enough, our bright protagonist is off and cantering on an adventure with seven majestic horses. The first six are easily understood: their colors, dreams, families, and origins are described and accompanied with exquisite drawings. The seventh horse, however, is an enigmatic creature with no clear hue or history, a lack that is soon filled in by the loving offerings of the other ponies. A story about dreaming and about caring for others, In the Meadow of Fantasies will remind young readers of their own reveries and conjure new fantasies of friendly creatures in far off lands.

A young girl with a...

ISBN 9781939810908

A lovely read for children about the power of fantasies. Many lessons can be learnt from the six horses that are willing to give of themselves for the seventh which had nothing.

A physically disabled girl has a mobile of seven horses above her bed. Despite this disability, her imagination is vivid. Each horse is described with a characteristic, but the seventh horse doesn’t have the characteristics. Sharing is pictured beautifully. We get to see the next generation too. Many thanks to Netgalley and Elsewhere Editions which translates stories from other countries!

In the Meadow of Fantasies is a beautifully written and illustrated book that shares a good message for children. Our main character is confined to her bed, but she uses her imagination to dream up a world outside her room. Each of the seven horses she brings to life in her mind are different, though they are not all easily understood or defined. The story is sweet, short and easy to read. I loved the illustrations throughout. They are beautifully drawn and the color palette was very pretty. Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for this eARC.

It was beautiful, It made me feel like a child again. I loved the message. The art was so beautiful and so was the writing style.

Beautifully written and illustrated I love the overall message of this story. Perfect for children of any age as it’s an inclusive and wonderfully written story. I love this story!!

This is a unique picture book - both visually and textually, but both aspects meld beautifully together. It's a story about a girl, dreaming about seven horses, where the six horses share their colours, dreams, etc. with the seventh horse, who in turn shares with the girl. It felt slightly absurdistic and therefore modern, so I don't think it will be for everyone. But it's a refreshing title amidst more commercial picture books.