Take My Hand

Pub Date 12 May 2022 | Archive Date Not set

Talking about this book? Use #TakeMyHand #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

A nurse at the Family Planning Clinic in Montgomery Alabama, Civil Townsend is passionate about putting choice into women's hands. She brings the option of birth control to their doorsteps, and with it the right to determine their own destinies. Or so she believes.

When she is assigned to administer birth control to two school-age Black girls, the Williams sisters, who live off an old unpaved road in a shack without running water, Civil can't help but feel uneasy. She grows close to the family and becomes fiercely invested in their well-being. And then she makes a shocking discovery: the girls have been involuntarily sterilized. Civil is horrified that such a terrible mistake could have taken place, and vows to get to the bottom of it. She soon learns that this is no isolated event but a pattern, far more serious than she could ever have imagined, targeting poor Black women. Could her clinic be responsible? Had she and her fellow Black nurses been complicit? No matter how ugly, Civil is determined for the truth to be brought to light.

Based on true events, Take My Hand brims with hope, compassion, and the burning pursuit of justice.

This once again, feels quite topical at the moment and stories like this, as sad and tragic as they are give us a healthy reminder on basic human rights, racial prejudices and class. This is disturbing, shocking, and one that you can't turn away from. Civil is a great female protagonist and the name cleverly also serves as a reminder. As a feminist, this enraged me and I was appalled by it. So clever is the writing you really feel it, like Erica and India are your sisters, or friends. Absorbing and captivating.