Winter Solstice

A Memoir in Poetry

Pub Date 1 Nov 2021 | Archive Date Not set

Talking about this book? Use #WinterSolstice #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

We take our memory for granted. Dementia will steal it in ways most of us could never imagine.

Winter Solstice by Diana Howard burrows deep into the heart-rendering poetic journey of a daughter trying to love and help her mother who is slowly losing her memory.

Through poems and vignettes written over a period of 15 years, the reader will enter a world of denial, confusion, shame, fear, humor, sacrifice, patience and love - finding solace and empathy with an experience many of us go through, yet struggle to find words to describe.

A Note From the Publisher

Diana Howard is a poet and children’s author living along the Missouri River in southeastern South Dakota. She has published two children’s books, Applesauce and Boo Boo La Roo. Her poetry has appeared in several journals and on several websites. She is a member of the South Dakota State Poetry Society and the Poetry Alliance of southwest Florida.

Marketing Plan

Bookstores and libraries contacted for stocking and reading opportunities
Book club selection
Goodreads giveaways
Social media outreach and ad-buys
Kirkus, Publishers Weekly reviews
Publications/newspapers/book bloggers contacted for reviews, interviews, and features
Guest on radio and podcast shows

Bookstores and libraries contacted for stocking and reading opportunities
Book club selection
Goodreads giveaways
Social media outreach and ad-buys
Kirkus, Publishers Weekly reviews
...

EDITION Paperback

Send To Kindle (MOBI)

This was a very quick read with poetry that really conveys the feeling of what it's like to know without a doubt that your loved one is very much in the winter of their life. The author did a good job of conveying the emotions around the realization of the diagnosis through the progression and final end. My sympathies to the author on the loss of her mother. Alzheimers is such a tragic condition.

arc provided by netgalley for an honest review winter solstice goes into the poetic journey and path of a daughter trying to hold onto the memory of her mother who is losing her mind due to dementia. and tries to be able to still love and help her mother despite her mother being a shell of the person she once was. this was a very short read but it was very sad and shows you how horrifying it is to see a loved one lose themselves to a disease that they have no control over. the realisation of the diagnosis really stuck with me and i think that anyone who has had lost someone to a disease they cannot control especially if it reduced them to someone unrecognisable, would deeply connect with this piece.

Talk about heartbreaking!! Howard turned the sad moments of her mom's dementia into beautiful words. I could feel how devastated she was in each moment; it was written so well! I admire anyone who can revisit some of the harsh parts of their life and share them with others. The other thing I admired was the different forms. I enjoy when people just write the words where they feel best, and Howard did just that. All of the words fell nicely on the pages. Initially, I requested this book because of the cover. I love everything about the winter. However, it means so much more to the overall collection. Definitely check this one out!

Beautiful poem. It was a quick, short read, but it definitely packs a punch. I could feel the grief.