Everything is True

A junior doctor's story of life, death and grief in a time of pandemic

Pub Date 20 Jan 2022 | Archive Date 20 Jan 2022

Talking about this book? Use #EverythingisTrue #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

From the frontlines of the NHS, the story of a junior doctor's love, loss and grief through the Covid-19 crisis

In early 2020, junior doctor Roopa Farooki lost her sister to cancer. But just weeks later, she found herself plunged into another kind of crisis, fighting on the frontline of the battle taking place in her hospital, and in hospitals across the country.

Everything is True is the story of Roopa’s first forty days of the Covid-19 crisis from the frontlines of A&E and the acute medical wards, as struggling through her grief, she battles for her patients’ and colleagues’ survival. Working thirteen-hour shifts, she returns home each evening to write through her exhaustion, chronicling the devastating losses and slowly eroding dehumanisation happening in real time on the ward.

At once an unflinching insider’s account of medicine in the time of coronavirus, and the devastating story of a sister’s grief, Everything is True is an exhilarating memoir of holding on to that which makes us human against insurmountable odds.

Praise for Roopa Farooki:

'Few books are life-changing; this one just might be' Daily Mail

'Farooki has a voice to be proud of' Independent on Sunday

'Farooki creates the strong suspicion that she could tell any type of story' New York Times

Praise for Roopa Farooki:

'Few books are life-changing; this one just might be' Daily Mail

'Farooki has a voice to be proud of' Independent on Sunday

'Farooki creates the strong suspicion that she...

EDITION Hardcover

This book is EVERYTHING, I cannot imagine what medical staff and other keyworkers went through whilst the majority of us where safe at home, but this book goes a long way to explaining that. It was emotive and inspiring. I couldnt put it down. I took Roopa Farooki to my heart and I really felt like i was going through her grief. concerns and horror with her. I loved it and I loved her.

It's the voice that grabs you: written in second person, prose as dense as poetry, there's an immediacy to this doctor's account of covid the first truly literary memoir of the pandemic. I could not put this down, blown away by Farooki's drive and honesty. I want everyone I know to read it.