Meredith, Alone

Pub Date 9 Jun 2022 | Archive Date 30 Jun 2022

Talking about this book? Use #MeredithAlone #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Pre-order the hottest debut of next summer!

All that stands between Meredith and the world is her own front door . . . but what will it take for her to open it?
________

'Gorgeous. I shed tears. Very, very touching, sad, sweet and hopeful' MARIAN KEYES

Meredith Maggs hasn't left her house in 1,214 days. But she insists she isn't alone.

She has her cat Fred. Her friend Sadie visits when she can. There's her online support group, StrengthInNumbers. She has her jigsaws, favourite recipes, her beloved Emily Dickinson, the internet, the Tesco delivery man and her treacherous memories for company.

But something's about to change. Whether Meredith likes it or not, the world is coming to her door . . . Does she have the courage to overcome what's been keeping her inside all this time?

Pre-order the hottest debut of next summer!

________

'Gorgeous. I shed tears. Very...

Meredith Alone is one of those very special novels that come along very rarely. The last time I felt so excited about a book was reading Eleanor Oliphant for the first time. This is an amazingly clever novel. Totally unique, but also totally relatable; with a main character with an ability to make you feel very emotion possible. Meredith alone is definitely one to watch in 2022.

I read this book during a couple of sleepless nights and couldn't put it down. I was intrigued by the blurb, and loved the cover, but the story still exceeded my expectations, high as they were. The story is beautifully written, and despite its potentially depressing subject matter (abuse, depression, isolation) I found it an easy, enjoyable, and uplifting read. Despite the title, and the fact that Meredith has not left her house for a couple of years, I never really felt she was completely alone. Her small but loyal support network consists of a few wonderfully drawn characters, each with their own story and subplots, but all woven n so seamlessly by Claire Alexander that they never seem contrived or unbelievable. My only problem with the book was that I didn't want it to end. It was the penultimate book I read in 2021 and easily makes my top 3.reads of the entire year. I would love to see a sequel, and I was so invested in Meredith and her life that I am worried she may relapse during the Covid lockdowns and I need to know she'll be ok! She really did become that real to me :) I can't wait to see what Claire comes up with next, but meanwhile, I hope this becomes a film. Meredith, Alone is easily one of my small handful of 'five stars are not enough' books of 2021.