Wah!

Things I Never Told My Mother

Pub Date 16 Jun 2022 | Archive Date 1 Jun 2022

Talking about this book? Use #WahBook #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Cynthia’s mother is dying.

Often.

Each time she is called from Scotland to her mother’s deathbed in San Rafael, Cynthia recalls hitchhiking to Mexico, living in a squat overseas, trainhopping with her brother, and all the other things she never told her mother.

Wonderfully witty and refreshingly candid, Wah! is an unflinching look at life in all its uncertain and messy glory.

Cynthia’s mother is dying.

Often.

Each time she is called from Scotland to her mother’s deathbed in San Rafael, Cynthia recalls hitchhiking to Mexico, living in a squat overseas, trainhopping with...

'A delicious memoir.' -Patrick Gale

‘Encompasses all the different kinds of love.’ -Michel Faber

'A rich, lyrical text that will show the tears at the heart of things.' -Richard Holloway

'WAH! is as poignant as it is hilarious, and that is saying something. Everyone with a mother should read this book.’ -Louisa Young

'Witty, rich in revelation, and elegantly written.'  -Chris Stewart

'A memoir about joy in the shadow of grief, WAH! is both moving and funny, with a wonderfully light touch - completely charming' -Tim Dowling

'Witty, compassionate, playful, scarily honest.' -Andrew Greig

'Laugh-aloud funny, poignant, rude, wicked, shallow and profound. I haven’t enjoyed a book so much in ages.' -James Robertson

'Rogerson is especially good at portraying the tenderness and confusion of pain and loss, the complex tangle of feelings we have for our loved ones, and her wisecracks skewer even the bleakest moments.' -Lesley Glaister

'A selfie of a tearaway with a real writer in control of the chaos. A wonderful and courageous book.' - Bernard MacLaverty

'This sparkling memoir is a revelation.' -David Robinson

'A delicious memoir.' -Patrick Gale

‘Encompasses all the different kinds of love.’ -Michel Faber

'WAH! is as...

EDITION Paperback
ISBN 9781913207731

Send to Kindle (MOBI)

Thanks to Net Galley and Standstone Press for the advance copy of this book. The memoir is a collection of stories from the author's childhood and travels. She writes a lot about her family and various relationships including her two marriages but mainly the story centers around the impending passing of her beloved mother. This is the first book I've read written this gifted storyteller, and it won't be the last. Full of wit and wisdom and thoroughly enjoyable.

I like this style very much, frank and forthright as if she’s sitting in your kitchen. The book is amusing and has great character paintings within, as if the author is sketching out a brief scene for you with a few bold strokes. I also liked that there was a sense of adventure and much less guilt than you’re used to reading in much women’s memoir. So many women feel the need to tell us that they were aware of dangers or that they shouldn’t have done something but that’s less evident here and the book is the better for it. The trip to Mexico with her brother I thought was a great section for this, just a wild thing they did - a scrape - and then she moves on.

Essentially a collection of essays I found each one heartfelt and poignant. Beautifully written I cannot wait to read what Cynthia Rogerson writes next. Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

A wonderful read the author shares her memories as she sits with her dying mom.Her adventures marriages life were real entertaining .I’m looking forward to more by this author.#netgalley#sandstonepress

This is told very carefully and cleverly. Sharp, witty and rich in texture.
Packed with mini stories each quirky and special in their own way. Some laugh out loud moments and some poignant ones. A great blend on what feels like a not quite memoir.
I love the lists of things the author learns from her mum.

A spirited woman tells of her life in a warts and all sort of way, laughing at herself and others and while sitting by her dying mother. Clever, poignant and brilliantly written, these memoirs will keep you entertained.

Thoroughly enjoyed this book. Fabulous style, cleverly intertwining present with past, and wow, what a past this lady has had.
Some stories were funny, others sad, poignant, challenging but incredibly readable and I didn't want the book to end. I could have read about this woman's life day by day, minute by minute I think and never had enough.
From hitchhiking to pig keeping, rule breaking to familial love and loss. I thoroughly recommend it.

A poignant recollection of the author's own memories and life events. It was warm, funny, sometimes sad and challenging but it kept me going on because truly the words flew like a magic. Totally immersive experience..

Funny and relatable, though surprising, recollections and reflections. Very enjoyable, I'm glad I chose to read this.

I found this book really comical and entertaining, very cleverly written and constructed with a good message