Fun for Anyone!

A story about standing out.

Pub Date 20 Dec 2020 | Archive Date 4 Jan 2022
Dfmi Designs, Independent Book Publishers Association (IBPA), Members' Titles

Talking about this book? Use #FunforAnyone #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Weston loves to have fun! Everyone’s idea of fun isn’t the same though. Sometimes, people think that it’s okay to try to force their likes and dislikes onto others. You have to be resilient and stand up for what you believe in. Will new friends and inclusion help Weston be confident again? Find out in, Fun for Anyone!

A Note From the Publisher

Book illustrator: Erin Alon Brain

Ebook: 978-1-7360312-1-6

Book illustrator: Erin Alon Brain

Ebook: 978-1-7360312-1-6

Fun for Anyone! A Story about Standing Out is a book that belongs in every library. When a boy who loves nail polish and unicorns, a different boy makes fun of him. The message is to be true to yourself and love what you love. This resonated with me because every once in a while a student would get teased about the books the student checked out in my school library. I encouraged students to read what they love. This book provides a very positive way to deal with those teasing situations and educate others to embrace our differences. Erin Alon Brain wrote and illustrated the book and I loved not only the story but wonderful illustrations as well. This picture book is truly great for all ages.”
—Sherri Maret, veteran teacher/librarian and picture book author

EDITION Hardcover

I LOVE this book! I cannot wait to get my own copy and get it into my classrooms! We have to have the "all books are everyone books" conversation at least monthly, and I'm thrilled for another tool to reinforce the message. This is such a great, accessible exploration of the idea that certain things are gendered and a wonderful guide for kids for how to challenge that. When we talk about this issue we don't often go far enough and actually give kids words and a toolkit for how to manage the negative messages they might hear, and this book does! Not only that, it's actually an enjoyable, fun-to-read book on its own merits! Sometimes "message" books sacrifice entertainment to get the point across, but this one is pleasant, engaging reading and had AWESOME illustrations. They're so bright, lively, and full of little in-jokes (I lol'ed at the board game names)! This will be an awesome addition to elementary school, classroom, and personal libraries! Many thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review!

The illustrations and cheerful narrative are a great introduction to understanding tolerance and acceptance among children. I really enjoyed the chalkboard sketches and the overall message to be yourself, and to not "yuck someone else's yum". Nail polish, sparkles, dressing up and even girls playing sports are all examined against push back, and then ultimately given acceptance. The characters learn what it feels like to be told you can't like something if you are a boy (or other things if you are a girl), but they also learn to find their chosen friends. The book gives the readers this message as well: Find what you like, then find your crew. This would be a great addition in a classroom library. Thanks to NetGalley for the e-book in exchange for an honest review!