BMW M

50 Years of the Ultimate Driving Machines

Pub Date 21 Dec 2021 | Archive Date 10 Feb 2022

Talking about this book? Use #BMWM #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

BMW M-Series celebrates the 50th anniversary of these legendary German performance cars, detailing both its production and motorsport stories with expert commentary and fascinating photography.

BMW launched the Motorsport, or “M”, division in 1972 to formally support its growing and successful racing program. Wisely, BMW leveraged that racing credibility to create limited-edition, high-performance production cars, the first being the M1 supercar of 1978. Tested and tuned at a dedicated facility located at the legendary Nürburgring, BMW’s M cars are true “driver’s cars” focused first and foremost on handling and performance. Still, they are docile enough when not driven aggressively to serve as comfortable high-end daily drivers.

Since the late 1980s, the range of M models has broadened considerably and now includes coupes, convertibles, and sedans in M2, M3, M4, M5, and M8 flavors along with high-performance X-series M SUVs. Early M cars like the M1 and late 1980s M3 and M6 are now desirable collector cars welcomed at top collector auctions and commanding premium prices.

With decades of racing and production success and, literally, no signs of slowing down, BMW’s M cars hurtle full speed to their 50th anniversary in 2022. BMW M offers the history no Bimmer fan will want to be without.

BMW...

BMW M: 50 Years of the Ultimate Driving Machines, by Tony Lewin, is a superb look at the evolution of BMW and in particular the M Series. With a nice mix of technical specs, history, and wonderful photography this book will delight both BMW afficionados as well as the more casual car enthusiast.

There was a brief period in my life when it seemed that a lot (in actuality only about five or six) of my friends had BMWs and four of those, plus mine, were M Series. I enjoyed that car quite a bit and this book brought back a lot of memories for me. I am not a particularly big auto enthusiast so books like this one that give a nice overview with just enough detail serves my purpose nicely. I like knowing a little more about iconic items, whether automobiles or toasters and everything in between, so these attractive coffee table type books are ideal.

I think there is enough of the specifications included that even the most mechanically inclined will enjoy the book, but not so much that someone like myself can't enjoy the narrative aspect while appreciating the technical. This is, after all, a tribute of sorts, not a detailed history book nor a detailed engineering book. As such, it succeeds spectacularly.

Reviewed from a copy made available by the publisher via NetGalley.

Thank you to @quarto.knows #motorbooks @netgalley for the digital copy in return for our honest reviews.

Hubby’s thoughts…
I enjoyed the overview of 50 years of M history. It was informative and has rather tantalizing pictures. A pleasure for any motor enthusiasts. I liked it so much I bought a hard copy for my friend, who happens to be my BMW mechanic too.
My thoughts…