Real Food Fermentation, Revised and Expanded

Preserving Whole Fresh Food with Live Cultures in Your Home Kitchen

Pub Date 25 Jan 2022 | Archive Date 10 Feb 2022

Talking about this book? Use #RealFoodFermentationRevisedandExpanded #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

In this newly revised and updated edition of Real Food Fermentation, discover how to preserve your favorite foods with simple techniques and recipes.

Learn the process of fermentation from start to finish, and stock your pantry and refrigerator with delicious fermented fruits, vegetables, dairy, and more. You’ll find information about why these recipes work, why they are safe, what to do when things don't go to plan, and how to modify recipes to suit your taste.

Then start making wholesome preserved foods and beverages with step-by-step recipes for sauerkraut, kombucha, kefir, yogurt, preserved lemons, chutney, kimchi, and more, getting the best out of every season’s bounty. The book is filled with beautiful photos and clear instructions to help you build your skills with confidence. It’s no wonder people are fascinated with fermenting—the process is user friendly, and the rewards are huge.

Inside you’ll find:

Fermentation basics—the tools, the ingredients, the processes, and how to get started Sauerkraut and beyond—how to ferment vegetables, including slaw-style, pickles, and kimchi How to ferment dairy into yogurt, kefir, crème fraîche, and butter How to ferment your own beverages, including kombucha, vinegar, and hard apple cider Plus recipes for sourdough, natto, and more With this book as your guide, you’ll feel in control of your food and your health. See why so many people are discovering the joys of fermenting!

Learn the process of fermentation from start to...

Publication date: January 25 2022

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read and review an advanced reader's copy of this book. This in no way affects my review, all opinions are my own and may be affected by the fact that it is snowy, windy and cold outside and we are in lockdown version 5.0, and I have nothing better to do than read three or more books a day??.

In this newly revised and updated edition of Real Food Fermentation, discover how to preserve your favourite foods with simple techniques and recipes. Fermenting is both an art and a science, and Alex Lewin expertly takes you through every step, including an overview of food preserving and the fermentation process. Get to know the health benefits of fermented foods, and learn the best tools, supplies, and ingredients to use.

Inside you’ll find:
***Fermentation basics—the tools, the ingredients, the processes, and how to get started
***How to ferment dairy into yogurt, kefir, crème fraîche, butter, and more
***How to ferment your own beverages, including kombucha, vinegar, and hard apple cider
***Recipes for sourdough, natto, and more

Fermentation is such a hot topic and this book will get you going onto the road to gut health as they love the microbes down there. I was unsure if butter was ever meant to be fermented as the old-fashioned churning method did not seem to ferment it in my mind but to each their own: I like my butter sweet and smooth without the TANG of fermentation, personally. Pickles are a favourite food in our home so I would get a lot of use out of this book if I can borrow my mom's fully functioning kitchen (mine is the size of a postage stamp) to make them in and given how much $ I spend on kefir, this might be something I should look into doing on a regular basis.

I am unsure of how much revision and expansion was done from the original book aside from the addition of sourdough bread but I can see this book flying off our shelves and I will highly recommend it to those who ask about adding fermented foods into their lives!