Men with the Pot Cookbook

Delicious Grilled Meats and Forest Feasts

Pub Date 17 May 2022 | Archive Date 19 May 2022

Talking about this book? Use #MenwiththePotCookbook #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Join the Men with the Pot and make a memorable meal! Learn to cook over the fire and enjoy a bit of bushcraft or use your grill for mouthwatering meats, rustic bakes, and more.

People often ask the Men with the Pot “what’s behind the name?” The answer is simple: when they started out, they were just two men with one pot who wanted to do something big! Their aim was to light a fire and inspire others to follow the same path—cooking whatever brings them joy. Kris and Slawek’s eye-catching videos have done just that, propelling that humble idea into a concept reaching tens of millions of fans every month. Men with the Pot Cookbook brings that same spirit to the page, with their first collection of recipes in print. Chapters and recipes include:

• Forest Cooking Around the World: Chicken Alfredo, Gnocchi Two Ways, Polish Rolady, Paella, Forest Takeaway, Tagliatelle Ragu, Campfire Ravioli
  • Forest Baking: Sausage Rolls, Skillet Pizza, Forest Pretzels, Baked Camembert in Forest-Made Bread, Focaccia Bread, Campfire Donuts
  • Chicken, Turkey, and Duck: Forest-Fried Chicken, Honey Mustard Chicken Quarters, Duck Breasts with Smashed Potatoes, Chicken From Hell
  • Meat Madness: Tomahawk Steak, Perfect T-Bone Steak, Tropical Pork Ribs, Pineapple Pork, Lamb Chops with Pomegranate Sauce, Campfire Irish Stew
  • From the Sea and Into the Forest: Pastry-Wrapped Salmon, Fish Curry, Cod Fillets Wrapped in Bacon, Drunk Salmon, Prawn Pasta, Fish and Chips, Herb-crusted Cod
  • Sandwiches, Tacos, Quesadillas, and More: Chicken Fajitas, Smoked Pork Belly Sandwich, Dirty Cheeseburger, Steak Sandwich, Best Meatball Sandwich, Chicken Quesadillas with Forest-made Tortillas, Cheese Tacos

Throughout the book, you’ll also learn some bushcraft, from lighting a fire to making a campfire spit or cooling rack from found wood. And of course, there are plenty of photos from their forest kitchen, which means even a simple weeknight meal is sure to take you away from the ordinary.

People often ask the...

Men with the Pot Cookbook is a tutorial guide with recipes developed and curated by the MenWithThePot, Kris Szymanski and Slawek Kalkraut. Due out 17th May 2022 from Quarto on their Harvard Common Press imprint, it's 208 pages and will be available in hardcover and ebook formats.

This is a comprehensive and surprisingly varied field guide to cooking outdoors, both for camping and RV styles of al fresco dining. The book has a casual friendly vibe and the writing is easy to understand, lightly humorous in places, and is solidly competent in terms of food safety and aesthetic appeal. My experiences of cooking while camping have mostly amounted to jabbing hot dogs and marshmallows onto pointy sticks when I was a kid and waving them around in an open fire. This is quite a step up from that.

The introduction includes a how-to guide to using the book and some (very short) basic tutorials on flavorings, spices, and some intriguing bushcraft tips on using found resources to build cooking stands and tools. The following chapters contain the recipes grouped thematically: world cuisine (Italian, Eastern European, Asian, fusion (African/Asian/Western European - really creative mashup)), meats, poultry, baking (!), seafood, hand-held meals (burgers, sandwiches, tacos, quesadillas).

Recipes include an introduction and background, bullet lists of ingredients with measurements in both imperial/American and standard/metric (yay!), followed by concise step-by-step instructions. The photography throughout is very high quality, clear, and in color. Tutorial photos are taken without hands or obstructions in the way and are easy to understand. One slightly odd aspect with the photography. Action shots with the authors are all posed so their faces are turned away or hidden. They say in their introduction that their purpose with the videos (they're *HUGE* on TikTok and other social media) was to concentrate on the food and not themselves and I suppose that carries over into the book aesthetic as well.

The recipes are varied and tasty. What lifted this book out of the ordinary to me were the highlighted text bars scattered throughout with short "Forest Hacks" and also the amazingly creative small tutorials for using natural found materials to make varied utensils and tools such as a pasta noodle drying rack and gnocchi board. Really cool stuff.

According to their own press, they're two Polish guys living in Northern Ireland and spending more time cooking outdoors than they spend indoors, but the food and tips here are anything but ordinary. This would make a great selection for public or school library acquisition, scouting/camping groups, or a super welcome gift for RV/camping friends.

Five stars.

Anyone who loves cooking and eating outdoors is going to adore this book! It's been cleverly thought out, and will appeal to beginners and the most experienced bushwacker chef alike. Each page contains a detailed, easy to follow recipe with a list of all the ingredients and quantities you´ll need,, beautiful photographs of the meal being prepared - you can almost smell the appetising aromas wafting upwards out of the ink, and handy hints as regards preparation, using shop bought cookware and utensils or seeking out and using whatever Mother Nature has to offer to make a day out with mates or the family memorable. I will definitely be taking this around in the car when the summer picnic season arrives and trying out some of the awesome tastebud busting combos.

I received this ARC in exchange for my honest review.

I hate to say it but this book ~exceeded~ my expectations. I didn't give these guys enough credit and I should have! This book was phenomenal! The pictures were soooo droolworthy and the instructions were clear. As someone who is hesitant to forage and eat "wild" food, this did a great job of showing what is plausible and what I can buy ahead of time. There was a great variety of recipes too. Well done and worth it!

Two Polish chaps living in northern Ireland who love both cooking and being outdoors. They've combined these in an exciting, if rather romanticised, way that clearly appeals to a lot of people from their Social Media posts. The basics of 'fire craft' are well described, the fun of producing your own pot holders, pasta drying racks and so on is just that - fun. The recipes are lovely, straightforward, mostly easily found ingredients and cooked from scratch. Measurements Imperial and metric; photos make the whole works appealing. Recipes cover all courses from starters through mains to desserts. They admit to the time it can take to makes these recipes in the forest - 6 hours on occasions so it has to be for love as well as fun and pleasure. Think drizzling rain, midges. I'm sure that the majority of readers will drool , imagine and wish but quietly be pleased to read this from their armchairs or indoor kitchens. I shall certainly follow some of the recipes although the idea of making fresh pasta in the forest is not especially appealing. Thanks to NetGalley and Quarto Publishing Group - Harvard Common Press for an advance copy in exchange for my honest review.

I love this cookbook!!! The authors make great videos as well that are guaranteed to make you feel hungry. The food in their videos and this cookbook looks so delicious. If you are a fan of grilled meats, this is the ideal cookbook for you.

Love cooking outdoors? Men with the Pot: Delicious Grilled Meats and Forest Feasts takes outdoor cooking to a higher plain. With the popularity of bushcrafting, and the authors who are popular TicTok personalities, Kris Szymanski and Slawek Kalkraut, this is a very timely and fun cookbook.

The recipes included are unexpected and some can be given gourmet status; it makes readers wonder: how can people cook such amazing dishes in the forest? They are absolutely appealing and there is enough variety that almost everyone will find something mouthwatering. Many of the recipes are hearty and filling; no dainty, delicate, frou-frou here. For those into bushcrafting, there are articles mixed in with the recipes that have instructions on creating cooking tools, as well as cooking hints, tips for starting fires in the forest, and using the correct cookware. The recipes, while not necessarily quick and easy, are written in standard form with detailed instructions that anyone can follow.

This cookbook is different from most outdoor and barbecue cookbooks that are available in most bookstores. It is definitely a must for survivalists and bushcrafters. It contains fabulous recipes, however, that will inspire non-outdoor people to adapt some of the recipes to prepare in their yards on the barbecue grill or even in their ovens. This is actually a fun cookbook for everyone and one that will make a good addition to cookbook collections.

Special thanks to NetGalley for supplying a review copy of this book.

I was already familiar with the "Men with the Pot" from their TikTok channel which offers both ASMR sounds of cooking and the forest and beautiful food prep, so I was excited to see their work put in recipe format, and this cookbook lives up to my expectations. The recipes are well-written, and the photography is beautiful. I also appreciate that the recipes are written such that you could go all in on the outdoor prep and cooking, or "cheat" and do part of a recipe or do some prep indoors. I think this would work equally well for the casual backyard firepit setting and the serious camper. There's a chapter with tips on how to set up and cook outdoors and more tips sprinkled throughout the book. The recipes cover a broad range, including a variety of cuisines, and some are simple while others are more involved. I'm particularly intrigued by the recipes for baking bread over a fire. Looking forward to trying lots of these recipes!

Thanks to Quarto Publishing Group for the ARC in exchange for my honest review.