Women's Work

From feminine arts to feminist art

Pub Date 12 Jul 2022 | Archive Date 19 Jul 2022

Talking about this book? Use #WomensWork #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

This powerful and insightful work offers a bold celebration of the innovative, brilliant artists reclaiming the idea of ‘women’s work’.

In the history of western art, decorative and applied arts – including textiles and ceramics – have been separated from the ‘high arts’ of painting and sculpture and deemed to be more suitable for women. Artists began to reclaim and redefine these materials and methods, energizing them with expressions of identity and imagination.

Women’s Work tells the story of this radical change, highlighting some of the modern and contemporary artists who dared to defy this hierarchy and who, through, experimentation and invention, transformed their medium.

The work of these women has helped underscore the ongoing value of these art forms within the history of art, championing ‘women’s work’ as powerful mediums worthy of celebration.

With biographical entries on each artist featured, as well as beautiful images of their artworksWomen's Work raises up the work of these visionary and groundbreaking artists, telling their stories and examining their artistic legacies.

In the history of western art, decorative and applied arts –...

Thank you, Quarto Publishing Group - White Lion, for the advance review copy.

This book is such an eye opener for me. I wouldn't have known anything about all this important information on women pioneers about their creativity, hard work and the unique distinct art they produced.

The pictures are so rare I feel. It's a privilege to read this book. Feeling empowered.

What wonderful creations by amazing women! I found this really interesting and inspiring! I visited the Tate modern a couple of years back and some of the work in this book reminded me of my visit, absolutely fascinating!