In the Coils of the Labyrinth

An Arkham Horror Novel

Pub Date 20 Sep 2022 | Archive Date 31 Aug 2022

Talking about this book? Use #IntheCoilsoftheLabyrinth #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

An unnatural terror penetrating our reality preys on the dreams of its victims, in this darkly captivating novel set in the world of Arkham Horror

Professor Miranda Ventham is having bad dreams – nothing new in 1920s Arkham – but hers are horrifying glimpses of a dark future. Now seriously ill, she books herself into the new sanatorium, Stroud Institute. With luck, the town’s eldritch taint won’t reach her there. And yet the nightmares worsen. With the aid of her friend, parapsychologist Agatha Crane, they delve into the background of the sanatorium’s enigmatic director, Donovan Stroud. Plagued by doubts, delusions, and terrifying visions, Miranda must unravel the shrouded history of the Strouds before she is trapped in a labyrinthine nightmare. Something sinister lurks at its heart, and it longs to be set free.

Professor Miranda Ventham is having bad dreams –...

A Note From the Publisher

DAVID ANNANDALE is a lecturer at a Canadian university on subjects ranging from English literature to horror films and video games. He is the author of many novels in the New York Times-bestselling Horus Heresy and Warhammer 40,000 universe, and a co-host of the Hugo Award-nominated podcast Skiffy and Fanty.

PRAISE FOR DAVID ANNANDALE

“A deftly crafted and inherently riveting read from first page to last. Clearly showcasing Annandale’s genuine flair for originality and [a] narrative storytelling style that is as entertaining as it is compelling.”

Midwest Book Review, on Curse of Honor

“A great novel about Doctor Doom influenced by strong comic lore knowledge, Gothic and Romance literature, horror cinema, and fantasy. It gets a wholehearted recommendation from me.”

The Doom Archives, on The Harrowing of Doom

PRAISE FOR DAVID ANNANDALE

Marketing Plan

– Arkham Horror is the tremendously popular range of board and card games by Fantasy Flight Games, with over 2.2 million games sold worldwide.

– Acclaimed author David Annandale brings his trademark depth and storytelling skills to the unsettling terror of Arkham Horror

– HP Lovecraft’s uniquely disturbing “cosmic horror” remains a strong and potent brand in modern science fiction and fantasy, and across popular culture.

• Season announcement Dec 21

• Featured advertising at book trade shows: ALA, & US Book Show

• Facebook Live interview w/ author on publication

• Co-op with Ingram

• Amazon Ads for related searches

• Aconyte Extra with free chapter samplers, high-res covers etc.

• Social media promo & giveaways w/ influencers

– Acclaimed author David Annandale brings his...

PRICE CA$22.95 (CAD)

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

Another hit from the Arkham Horror series, it had what I was looking for from previous entries and I enjoy the way David Annandale writes a horror novel with a bit of mystery. The use of the 1920s in this book worked to its advantage and I had a blast reading this. The characters were what I was looking for and was invested in getting to know them. It left me satisfied and wanting the next chapter in this series.

A dark and gothic read that was chilling and creepy that I will think about for a while. I loved it, a great red for fans of dark/horror reads

Hits all the right notes of Lovecraft combined with the worldview and evolution of Cthulhu mythos that has evolved since Lovecraft's death. Creepy tale, will recommend.

In the Coils of the Labyrinth by David Annandale

Starring Professor Miranda Ventham who, suffering from tuberculosis, becomes a patient at a new Institute in Arkham to be cured. Partnered with a favorite character of mine, Agatha Crane, we learn that the Institute may have darker intentions than we think.

David Annandale once again shows he is well versed in the Arkham Files universe. Using characters, themes, and ideas from the Arkham Horror games we are drawn into a story that would fit perfectly into a game scenario.

The beauty of this book is how perfectly it fits into the Arkham Files universe, it would still be very enjoyable if you have never played an AH game before. Annandale combines a claustrophic setting, haunting entities, and an unreliable narrator that combine to leave you guessing what is going on until the very end.

Preliminary 5-star review. Will post a full review and adjust the rating accordingly after I finish the book.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for providing an e-ARC copy of this book, in exchange for this honest review.

Review
I had not come across the world of Arkham before, so I lacked any preconceived ideas about what to expect.
It was quite a surprise to find how this book came across as Lovecraft in its eclectic horror. Very dark and Gothic with sinister atmospheric overtones.
The book is heavy on dialogue rather than full-on action. But that helps to build up the degrees of suspense.
The author managed to rack up the creepiness and tension as the narrative progressed, and it was eerie, to say the least. He got it absolutely spot on for suspense and expectation.
Ventham and Crane do well to keep the investigations going whilst avoiding the horrors of the Asylum. Agatha Crane actually steals the show for me as the nightmares unfold.
In the Coils of the Labyrinth is a well-written and well-worked story with some deft handling of the character's traits and personalities. Not always easy when your main protagonists are in an unstable environment.
The author manages to paint a vivid picture of the Asylum and its residents, keeping it dark and disturbing throughout the narrative.
In the Coils of the Labyrinth turned out to be a decent and unique read, and I will have to delve into more of these books in the future.
Thank you, NetGalley and Aconyte Books, for the arc.

As a board gamer whose favorite board game is Eldritch Horror (part of the Arkham Horror universe) I really love these tie-in novels. Seeing the characters that I love to play as take part in adventures that I get to read is a real joy.
In the Coils of the Labyrinth by David Annandale is a bit of a deviation from the rest of the Arkham Horror novels that I've read so far. This one starts out a bit gothic and then veers back over in the cosmic horror genre. I really loved that. Plus one of my favorite settings for horror is in hospital/insane asylum/sanitorium.

The book opens with Professor Miranda Ventham suffering from tuberculosis and moving into the Stroud Institute, the new sanitorium in Arkham. Her friend and fellow professor (and playable character in Arkham and Eldritch Horror) Agatha Crane is Miranda's main source of support through the course of the book.
When Miranda starts to have visions and feels the growing dread that something is off about the newly built Stroud Institute, Agatha does research into the history of the Stroud family, turning over every stone she comes across, including traveling to Scottland (the ancestral seat of the family) to help solve the growing mystery of the sanitorium.

This book was a ton of fun. I loved reading this one. I really loved the gothic vibes when Miranda first comes to the institute and the growing dread she feels. I really would encourage anyone with an interest in Lovecraft, spooky gothic hospital horror, or a good mystery to read this book.

Thank you to NetGalley and Aconyte Books for providing me with a free eARC of this novel in exchange for my honest review.

Disclaimer: I received an advanced copy of this book via Netgalley.

I really enjoyed In the Coils of the Labyrinth. I am always a little skeptical of books that are tie-ins to other properties, and David Annandale manages to put together a really excellent bit of eldritch horror set in the Arkham Horror universe. Annandale manages to put together a clever descent in to madness that includes an extended stay in a sanitarium, the strands of fate, and the question of choice.

Highly recommend, even if you've not spent anytime in the Arkham Horror universe.

This is my fourth arkham horror book I have read and this one tops the other 3 I have read in the past, this one deffo has a terrifying vibe throughout and has you guessing on what has happened to the patients that have went missing or presumed dead by the nurses.
From everything that has been happening in arkham this one tops them all until a read the rest, a mean a wasn't expecting half of the things that were written in this book, but my god it was so wonderfully written and I am not complaining at all I loved it.
The characters were amazing throughout the book especially Agatha wanting to protect her friend and husband from the beast that lurked within the institute and by the crazy dude Donovan.
I am sad that I have now finished this one but all a can say is, what next arkham read is going to be terrifying to read so that I won't be able to sleep at night.

Thank you netgallery for allowing me to read this amazing arkham horror arc, I loved it every step of the way and I cannot fault it at all. I have also shared my review on my good reads and Instagram.

ARC Copy...well it was a creepy Lovecraft trip into the nightmarish unknown as one would expect venturing into the world of Arkham horror. Did feel something sinister is coiling in the darkness.

This story is set in the world of "Arkham Horror", but the reader doesn't need to be at all familiar with that board game in order to enjoy the tale. Some feeling for H.P. Lovecraft's signature approach to eldritch horror is a plus, though, because this book's thrills turn on Annandale's keen ability to capture and channel the terror that exists on the other side of the veil. This was a fine and satisfying, and exceptionally well written, contribution to the Arkham mythos.

I love the Arkham Horror novella’s 100%. I have never played the board or card games, but I always find myself with the novella’s and absolutely love them. This one is no different, I enjoyed every minute of it. If you like Lovecraft style fiction or gothic horror you will love this.