Wall of Tears

The Human Face of the Israel - Palestine Conflict

Pub Date 28 Apr 2022 | Archive Date 3 Aug 2022

Talking about this book? Use #WallofTears #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

If you loved ‘Apeirogon’, ‘The Tattooist of Auschwitz’, and ‘My Promised Land’, don’t miss ‘Wall of Tears’.

What lies behind the single tear that trickled down Abdiel’s face at the Western Wall in 1973?

Uri, his son, is obsessed with uncovering the truth.

Abdiel and Maya, two Polish Jewish children, survive the Holocaust and flee to Israel. Their friendship with a Palestinian family creates dangerous tensions.

Uri enters medical school and is confronted by the suffering of his people and his Palestinian brothers. His passion for peace and decision to challenge social, cultural and religious values brings heartache and conflict to his family and community.

Maya is torn between supporting her husband, who suffers the nightmares of Auschwitz, and her strong-minded sons, who choose different and dangerous paths.

The author weaves together history and human stories, collected from Israelis and Palestinians during his visits to the Middle East. The story is both joyful and tragic, gripping and shocking. There is wisdom, conflict, love, betrayal and a shattering conclusion.

“This novelised account of the Arab – Israeli conflict is one of the best I’ve read”. (Barbara Scott Emmett – Delirium: The Rimbaud Delusion)

"This novelised account of the Arab/Israeli conflict that followed the creation of Israel after the Holocaust is one of the best I've read. Even-handed in its telling of a desperate situation, it is full of human stories, both joyful and tragic. It is gripping, shocking and heartbreaking, yet at the same time full of love. Though hard-hitting, this is a very readable story and it is a clear and affecting account of a complex situation. The experiences of all sides are shown with humanity and compassion. Highly recommended.

Barbara Scott Emmett - Author of Delirium: The Rimbaud Delusion"

ISBN 9781922329028

Send to Kindle (PDF)

Average rating from 1 member

This was an enjoyable, emotive and often heartwrenching read that I learnt a lot from. I know a lot about the holocaust but very little about the conflict spoke about in this book, however, it has picqued my interest and I will be reading up about it now. It is beautifully written with a gripping storyline and well developed characters that were relatable and believeable. This was a brutally real account of the conflict full of brutal tragedy but also love and heartwarming moments.
A really good read.