Januaries

Stories of Love, Magic & Betrayal

Pub Date 17 Oct 2024 | Archive Date 17 Oct 2024

Talking about this book? Use #Januaries #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Dazzling stories of love, magic and betrayal . . .

A sensational collection from internationally bestselling author Olivie Blake.

Once upon a time, in a land far, far away, the spirit tethered to a magical bridge rapidly approaches burnout – and craves her freedom. Elsewhere, Congress enacts a complex auditing system designed to un-waste your youth. We also follow a banished fairy, as she answers a Craigslist ad. And we meet a Victorian orphan, who gains literacy for her occult situationship. In another time and place, a multiverse assassin contemplates the one who got away.

Escape the slow trudge of mortality with these magical ruminations on life, death and the love (or revenge) that outlasts both. This collection also features modified fairy tales, contemporary heists, absurdist poetry and at least one set of actual wedding vows.

Januaries is collection of new and existing short stories from the internationally bestselling author Olivie Blake.

‘Olivie Blake is a mind-blowing talent’ – Chloe Gong, author of These Violent Delights

‘Sign me up for anything she writes’ – Cosmopolitan

Also by Olivie Blake:
The Atlas Six
The Atlas Paradox
The Atlas Complex
Alone with You in the Ether
One For My Enemy
Masters of Death

Olivie Blake is a multiple Sunday Times and New York Times bestseller - reaching No. 1 for The Atlas Complex in January 2024.

Dazzling stories of love, magic and betrayal . . .

A sensational collection from internationally bestselling author Olivie Blake.

Once upon a time, in a land far, far away, the spirit tethered to a...

PAGES 400

Send to Kindle (PDF)

Thank you NetGalley and PanMacmillian for providing me with the opportunity to review Januaries by Olivie Blake.

I must say, I think this may be my favourite Olivie Blake's book or rather a collection of tales, each quite unique not only in form (e.g., short story, poem, journal entry) but also feelings they evoke. Some of them were more accessible than others - I'm talking here about easier writing/diction - and some were more "flowery", written in a "typical" Olivie Blake fashion. I genuinely enjoyed both but I'm glad it was a mix. Generally speaking, each tale had an amazing build up to a rewarding conclusion and some sort of life lesson regarding relationships (mind you this is a HUGE generalisation of Januaries as it also includes stories, for example, of pathetic men, life after death, longing and the idea of multiverse) everything sprinkled with bits and pieces of magic. For me, the main realisation was that pain and love exist on the same fabric and those feelings are just two sides of the same coin. What I also liked is that Blake included an insight into the thoughts of a person with mood disorder and although I can't relate to it, I'm happy I have a deeper understanding of it.

My favourite tales are:
- To make a man
- Monsterlove
- Fates and consequences (this one was super funny as well!!)
- Sous Vide
- Sensual Tales for Carnal Pleasures
- A year in January

Yknow what this is? Literally a bedtime storybook for adults AND I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!

Most of the stories have ambiguous endings that make you reflect and question reality/choices in life. Ngl it’s quite astounding to see how many genres and concepts Olivie Blake can actually write-so many have the potential to be full blown books. Special shout out to one of the stories: Wish Bridge! I really hope there’s more to this bc the concept of star-crossed lovers in that context is french kiss👌🏻

I must admit I wasn’t a huge fan of Blake’s writing but I’ve always believed in second chances and I’m glad I took a leap of faith in Januaries bc I thoroughly enjoyed it.

My only question: idg why the book title is called Januaries. First of many? Many firsts?

Thank you Pac Macmillan and NetGalley for this arc!