A Quick & Easy Guide to Coming Out

Pub Date 24 Sep 2024 | Archive Date 4 Sep 2024

Talking about this book? Use #AQuickEasyGuidetoComingOut #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Whether you're queer, trans, questioning, or anything in between, coming out to the folks in your life can be nerve-racking and stressful. Luckily, writer Kristin Russo (This is a Book for Parents of Gay Kids) and cartoonist Ravi Teixeira are here to guide you through the process, no matter where in your journey you are.

From finding supportive resources, navigating awkward conversations, and embracing queer joy and community, this guide explores the twists and turns of coming out as every shade of LGBTQ+, helping you walk the path of sharing the truest you.

Part of the bestselling and critically acclaimed A Quick & Easy Guide series from Oni Press.

PAGES 80

How I wish I'd had this book when I was a teenager coming of age! This is a graphic guide that is informative, well-spoken and heartwarming. A must have for any Queer Section as well as anyone working with adolescents.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for a free ARC in exchange for an honest review.

If I had had this guide as a teenager, I think things would have gone a lot smoother for me in the long run. I personally identify as a cisgender lesbian, and I have spent countless hours researching queer identities. This guide specifically addresses those who are thinking about coming out to someone, anyone in their lives. The authors address deep topics, including those that can be painful or difficult to deal with, but they address them with compassion and support. I definitely recommend this book to all Youth librarians in particular, as coming out young is difficult and sometimes harmful. Most libraries should have a copy of this book available for check-out.

A book version of some queer older niblings come to take your hand and talk you through the confusion around coming out. This is also an invaluable resource that we should work to get into libraries and schools everywhere for youth and older folk trying to learn about themselves and grow. It's sweet, reassuring, and informative all at once. Highly recommended for everyone to read, but especially those questioning or supporting folk who are figuring their identities out.

What a fantastic bite sized book! The illustrations are full of energy reminiscent of early zines (a graphic style and mode of expressive communication that has been recently re-discovered by the older teens at my library) and the actual content is engaging and filled with practical advice presented in a friendly, peer-to-peer, voice.

Although the information is certainly relevant for all ages (with suggestions worked into the main text and presented in an appendix) younger readers may find the artistic style too unfamiliar and senior readers may find that they have aged past many of the scenarios presented in the book. That said, this book is the perfect match for young adult and new adult readers and an excellent addition to any library or guidance office.

This book was so, so perfect! I have zero doubt that this book will help queer people, especially youth, immensely in their coming out journeys. This book was short, but it was packed with a lot of helpful information, including how to find your support group, how you might define your identity, and common phrases that you might unfortunately run into when coming out. However, even though there was a lot of information in this book, it wasn't overwhelming at all, which is impressive and very beneficial to the reader.
The next thing I would like to acknowledge is the talent of the illustrator. The drawings were very fun and absolutely phenomenal! Their art style definitely complemented the book well, and actually helped to convey some ideas, too. Bravo!!
Lastly, I loved the supportive tone of the entire book, and the way the authors decided to make the reading experience extra personal, mainly by using second-personal pronouns. This only increased how much I loved this book, and it will definitely have the same effects for all of its other readers.
I loved this book so much, and I know that it will be an absolute hit!

This is a personal and accessible book for any reader. I loved the graphic novel format as it felt like an easy read even with so much information. The authors discuss a nuance topic with care as well as both personal and studied knowledge. This book is important and I will be buying for our public libraries collection.

A great guide for anyone (young or old) who needs support when trying to come out. I liked how the book gently explained different terms and approaches, and how they had included tips on how to shut down bad reactions. The book made it clear that you are in control of your own coming out and that you should keep everything on your own terms. The illustrations were fun and helped make the guide more accessible for a younger audience.

A must read!!

A Quick & Easy Guide to Coming Out is exactly that! A quick and easy to understand guide to the journey of coming out that includes something for everyone. The narrators that take us through all the ways queer people come out are fun and comforting, and make this Big Event feel so much more approachable. Even if you aren't in the LGBTQIA+ community, this is an important read to educate on the intersectionality of sexuality and gender.

If you find yourself on a coming out journey, or know someone who is, this is the perfect book for you!