The Good Sister

The gripping domestic page-turner perfect for fans of Liane Moriarty

Pub Date 15 Apr 2021 | Archive Date 30 Sep 2021

Talking about this book? Use #TheGoodSister #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

'There's only been one time that Rose couldn't stop me from doing the wrong thing and that was a mistake that will haunt me for the rest of my life.'

Fern's mission will shake the foundations of the life she has carefully built for herself and stir up dark secrets that she long thought were buried.

****************************************************

Praise for Sally Hepworth:

'Women's fiction at its finest' LIANE MORIARTY
'Clever, chilling and beautifully crafted' ADELE PARKS
'The characters are so beautifully drawn and it was an emotional read, but I couldn't put it down' HEIDI PARKS
'Sally demonstrates that you don't need outlandish situations and monstrous characters to write a thoroughly engrossing, suspenseful thriller, and her writing feels so effortless' EMMA CURTIS
'It's not often that such a gripping page-turner can be so moving' SARAH NAUGHTON
'Cleverly plotted and completely compelling' NICOLA MORIARTY

Fern Castle works in her local library. She has...

EDITION Ebook

#TheGoodSister #NetGalley Pure Adrenaline. I loved it. Fern Castle works in her local library. She has dinner with her twin sister Rose three nights a week. And she avoids crowds, bright lights and loud noises as much as possible. Fern has a carefully structured life and disrupting her routine can be . . . dangerous. When Rose discovers that she cannot fall pregnant, Fern sees her chance to pay her sister back for everything Rose has done for her. Fern can have a baby for Rose. She just needs to find a father Both sisters were so good that I didn't stop loving and hating them at the same time. Sally Hepworth is auch a brilliant author that I can't describe in words. Narration of the story is awesome. Thanks to NetGalley and Hodder Straighten for giving me an advanced copy of this psychological thriller.

After recently reading my first Sally Hepworth novel recently and being a little disappointed I was a bit unsure whether I would like this one. I needn't have worried, enjoyed it from start to finish and loved it. Twin sisters Fern and Rose made great characters, two extremes in both personality and intelligence but both fascinating. Devoted sisters, Rose is the responsible sister with a desire to be a mother who has always been Fern's protector since childhood. Fern is the care free librarian who avoids social interaction and generally finds life difficult to understand. Fern needed protecting because their mother was a true sociopath who hid her true nature from the world, and only Rose could see it. Fern always saw the good in everyone. Years ago, Fern did something very, very bad. And Rose has never told a soul. When Fern decides to help her sister achieve her heart's desire of having a baby, Rose realizes with growing horror that Fern might make choices that can only have a terrible outcome. What Rose doesn't realise is that Fern is growing more and more aware of the secrets Rose, herself, is keeping. And that their mother might have the last word after all. Told from the points of view of Fern and from the journals of Rose. While working in the library Fern meets an American named Rocco who Fern insists on calling Wally due to his likeness to 'where's Wally'. Rocco has the appearance of an homeless person and she learns that he actually lives in a van by choice. Fern finds herself experiencing love for the first time with Rocco as he seems to understand her so well. I don't want to say too much else to avoid spoiling this excellent novel about two devoted sisters with secrets and problems. This book is so well written and the pacing is excellent, three interesting characters that I needed to know more about. Fern brought a smile to my face many times with her uncomplicated view of the world. Highly recommended. I would like to thank both Netgalley and Hodder and Stoughton for supplying a copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review.

#TheGoodSister #NetGalley A good read. I loved this book. It's starting was slow but it picked up in the middle. It's characters are dark and Creepy. And it has a twist which I didn't see coming in the end. I would definitely recommend this book to everyone.

Date reviewed (Canada) - June 25, 2020 Date reviewed (UK) - December 11, 2020 ... I am bi-country at the moment When life for the entire universe and planet turns on its end and like everyone else you "have nothing to do" while your place of work is closed and you are in #COVID19 #socialisolation, superspeed readers like me can read 250+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book … and many more today. (I AM BORED!!) And it is too hot to go outside, so why not sit in from of the blasting a/c and read and review books?? I requested and received a temporary digital Advance Reader Copy of this book from #NetGalley, the publisher and the author in exchange for an honest review. From the publisher, as I do not repeat the contents or story of books in reviews, I let them do it as they do it better than I do 😸. "There's only been one time that Rose couldn't stop me from doing the wrong thing and that was a mistake that will haunt me for the rest of my life." Fern Castle works in her local library. She has dinner with her twin sister Rose three nights a week. And she avoids crowds, bright lights and loud noises as much as possible. Fern has a carefully structured life and disrupting her routine can be ... dangerous. When Rose discovers that she cannot fall pregnant, Fern sees her chance to pay her sister back for everything Rose has done for her. Fern can have a baby for Rose. She just needs to find a father. Simple. Fern's mission will shake the foundations of the life she has carefully built for herself and stir up dark secrets from the past, in this quirky, rich and shocking story of unexpected love On AMAZING thing about being a reviewer here is that one gets to read and review books like ten months before the general public can. It means that you can tell people all about the book and sing its praises - and boy, can I sing about this one. Sisters are a dynamic duo at times and no one, and I mean no one can be more contentious with each other than sisters. (Trust me, I know.) The book is a masterpiece - Sally Hepworth surely knows how to write - I adored "The Mother In Law" as well. The storyline is tight and terse and goes to places one would never dream it would .. and yes, it did! It was hard at times to feel sympathetic for either sister as they were equally horrible.. Overall, a great book that you MUST read when it comes out. As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I love emojis (outside of their incessant use by "🙏-ed Social Influencer Millennials/#BachelorNation survivors/Tik-Tok and YouTube Millionaires/etc. " on Instagram and Twitter... Get a real job, people!) so let's give it some singing at the top of my voice 🎼🎼🎼🎼🎼

This was an incredible thriller depicting a complex relationship between sisters. The question that kept popping into my mind was how far we can go for the sakes of our loved ones, and is there going too far...

I am a fan of this author and she absolutely never disappoints. Twist and turns and that moment where you realise the story has been turned in its head. Adored it!

Rose and Fern are twins that could not be any more different. Fern has Sensory Processing Issues making her afraid of loud noises, bright lights and strong aromas. Rose has taken care of her twin from an early age and is very protective of her. Rose is desperate for a baby with her husband Owen. Fern decides that she will have a baby for her sister. From snippets of Rose’s journal we see how the twins childhood has shaped them into the adults they are now and why Rose is so protective of Fern. Where is the line between protecting someone and controlling them!! The characters really come to life. I adored Fern and her quirky manners. A great suspense where you don’t know which twin is telling the truth. They both know what they want but which twin will win!! Thank you to Netgalley for my copy in exchange for a review.

I really enjoy reading this authored works as they never fail to disappoint me. This was a great thriller through the voices of two sisters. You get drawn into the world of their.

Thank you to NetGalley & Hodder and Stoughton for my copy of this book to review. I was already familiar with this author as I have read The Family Next Door & The Mother in Law, and thought both were just ‘ok’ They were easy to read & get in to, but a bit forgettable once you’d finished. However, the blurb for this really appealed to me, I love a toxic family/relationship story but this sounded different to other books I have read before. It absolutely did not disappoint. I was constantly waiting til I could sit down and read a bit more. I really enjoyed the split of the two voices of the sisters throughout, and I absolutely fell in love with Fern & Wally. I found myself smiling so often whilst reading this book. The book is well paced and the ending is just how I would’ve wanted. I have already recommended this book to other people and I would happily read anything by Sally Hepworth in the future.

A fantastic psychological thriller. Really adored the voices of the two sisters throughout and I felt immersed in their world. Very cleverly plotted . This was exciting to read. Highly Recommended

Great psychological thriller that I extremely I enjoyed immensely. I love all this author’s books and this is no exception. I highly recommend.

From the outside, everyone might think Fern and Rose are as close as twin sisters can be: Rose is the responsible one and Fern is the quirky one. But the sisters are devoted to one another and Rose has always been Fern's protector from the time they were small. Who is the good sister? Who have secrets? I love this book. A lot twists and the characters are very interesting. I really like and will recommend for everybody. Thanks netgalley

Intriguing storyline with unpredictable, unexpected twists. An absorbing read. Plausible and interesting characters. Couldn't put this book down. Have pre-order this book as a gift for my daughter.

This is the story of twenty eight year old fraternal twins Fern and Rose. Fern is a librarian, she’s on the autistic spectrum and has sensory issues. Rose is an interior designer of office spaces, she’s married to Owen though they are having problems because Rose is desperate to have a child. Rose has health issues as she has type one diabetes. Rose tells her story via a journal which describes their upbringing and recent events while Fern tell her own story. I absolutely love this novel, it’s a compelling page turner especially at about the half way point when it becomes something you aren’t expecting. I love Fern’s character right from the start and her meeting ‘Wally’ (Rocco Ryan) adds to the delight of her. She is without guile, she’s so honest, she struggles to make sense of things because she is so literal but what could she achieve without Rose constantly hovering? Wally/Rocco is another outstanding character and through him Fern realises a lot about herself, about the people around her and achieves much acceptance especially of her capabilities and she becomes MORE. The plot is fast paced, it’s very well written and I love the twists in the storytelling revealing a mastery of manipulation. The analysis of the relationship between the twins and the dynamics with those in their orbit is absolutely fascinating and I like how the truth eventually emerges. Overall, this book is right up my literary street and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Highly recommended. With thanks to NetGalley and Hodder and Stoughton for the much appreciated arc for an honest review.

The Good Sister looks at the relationship between two troubled sister’s, twin sisters. These fictional sisters have their share of ups and down starting life in what appears to be a troubled home with a mother depicted as being unstable. Fern Castle suffers from a sensory disorder which leaves her vulnerable to loud sounds, bright lights, and strong smells. As a result, she leads a simple, quiet life and depends largely on her sister Rose, for support and assistance. Rose is the only person that understands her, the only person that is always there for her. When Fern finds out that Rose wants a baby and cannot conceive, she sees an opportunity to repay Rose for everything she always does for her. Fern decides to have a baby for her sister….. This book was my introduction to Sally Hepworth, while The Good Sister is a far cry from my usual choices, it was refreshingly different and a book I found myself racing through. I simply could not get enough. Written from Fern’s perspective with diary entries made by Rose in between it flows beautifully, giving you an insight into both sister’s thoughts. It is an easy, gripping read that draws you into the story from the beginning. As I sit facing my keyboard, I am overwhelmed with the thoughts I want to share on this book – unfortunately, a lot of those thoughts will lead to spoilers. This story held a lot of surprises and took a turn I did not predict. To say that I loved this book would be an understatement. Having grown up with brothers, I spent my life wishing I had a sister. Also envious of the bond my friends had with their sisters. However, after reading this book, I am extremely pleased that I grew up with brothers. The Good Sister shows just how complicated a sister relationship can turn out being. If anything, I find I am looking at my daughters in a new light – looking at their relationship just a little more closely. The author created two very remarkable characters, both Fern and Rose started out extremely likeable. Characters you found crawling into your heart from the beginning. Fern with all her challenges and need for routine was impossible to dislike. Rose on the other hand was caring and compassionate, giving so much of herself to ensure her sister’s safety. As the story progressed, I slowly started questioning Rose and wondering if she was not just a little too involved in her sister’s life. The author did a fabulous job in unfolding Rose’s character, keeping the reader guessing where the story will lead all the time. The Good Sister has everything needed to be called a brilliant read! Mystery to keep you unsure of where the story is headed, a touch of humour to keep a smile on your face and added to that a few moments that tug at your heartstrings just enough to guarantee you keep turning the pages. Lastly, a plot twist that has your jaw dropping to the ground! This story was one of the most unpredictable I have read in a while! It is without a doubt one to be added to my LOVED list. In case you are not sure – Yes, I recommend this book. The Good Sister will appeal to women who enjoy a good mystery that has the power to touch your heart and almost bring a tear…..

I loved this book!!! I was drawn in immediately and devoured it in two sittings. The depiction of the twins was excellent and I love that Roses story was in diary entry form. There was no filler in this one just good solid story telling, great characters and an exciting ending. If you have a sister or ever wanted one you will love this (it might make you look at her differently or be happier to not have one!) Also loved reading about Ferns sensory issues and difficulties in social skills and understanding, very interesting and can relate to these on some level too. Thanks so much for allowing me to read this advanced copy.

Twins Rose and Fern have always been close. In fact, Fern relies on Rose as she is not neurotypical and is easily overwhelmed by the noise and sensory overload of the world. But Fern is about to meet someone who can identify with her unusual perspective on life, and it’s going to turn everything upside down. This is a sweet and absorbing book, reminiscent of Eleanor Oliphant as the main character is endearing and unique. There is also a difficult relationship with the twins’ mother and a dark secret that shadowed their childhood. It’s an easy read and I got through it in a day - it’s definitely a page-turner with an unexpected ending. Recommended for those who like a quirky read with some surprising twists and turns along the way.

What a fantastic book! I really enjoyed getting an insight into such a complex issue (I don’t want to give any spoilers). The plot was gripping with a fantastic twist and brilliant character descriptions. I highly recommend this to all and I’m so pleased I got the opportunity to read it early!

What a good book! Twin sisters, one is evil, but which one? I absolutely loved this story which had me shouting out at one point “NO”! I really admire an author who can get under your skin and make your emotions go higgley piggley. Great work by Sally Hepworth.

I haven't read the blurb before I've requested this book on Netgalley. I was attracted to the pretty cover so I didn't know what to expect. After just couple of chapters I know I'll enjoy this book and rate with very high. I just fell in love with the author's writing style. Even though the topics mentioned in this book were very serious, it was full of humour and made me laugh out loud. The book is very well structured. It's told from the perspectives of twin sisters Rose and Fern. The bond they shared was so special it makes your heart melt. It was fascinating to learn a bit about the life of a person with sensory processing disorder, the difficulties they're facing everyday. When Fern decided to have a baby for her sister and set on a quest of finding a suitable father on Tinder I though that this will be an interesting love story. It was better than I was expecting. Bear in mind I didn't even know the genre of the book I was reading (so silly of me). At some point the plot gets so twisted, you don't know who to trust. I even started to doubt myself for a while. I wanted to post the review straight away but I guess I had to cool down a bit otherwise I would've melted my laptop. “The Good Sister” is brilliantly written psychological thriller and I highly recommend it to everybody, even if you're not a thriller lover I'm positive you'll enjoy it as much as I did.

I finished reading this last week and I’m still thinking about it, always a sign of a great read. I have read 2 of Sally’s other books which I really enjoyed so I had high hopes for this one and it didn’t disappoint, family, friendship, loss and love and the lengths siblings will go for each other. I didn’t see the twist coming and still can’t quite believe it. A must read book.

What a fantastic book! I was quickly drawn into the twins and the story. It’s well written, fast paced and has lots of twists throughout. I would definitely recommend it.

Thank you to Netgalley for the chance to read this book in exchange for an honest review. The book revolves around 2 sisters, twins who couldn't be more different. Rose is short and plump with T1 diabetes and Fern is fair and slender but suffers from sensory issues. Rose has looked after Fern from an early age. When Fern finds out Rose cannot get pregnant she decides she will and give Rose the baby. As the book progressed we see the control Rose has over Fern and we see Fern blossom in a new relationship with "Wally" the baby's dad. This book is a captivating read the characters come to life. Rose made me uncomfortable but Fern is really likeable even with her unusual mannerisms. The final climax was great, I read this book extremely quickly as I was desperate to know which twin would win!

# The Good Sister # Netgalley Due to being ill I have not read for a little while, which I absolutely hate not being able to read. Well what a first nook to start reading again. Oh my I was hooked from the first chapter. It’s a story of telling about sisters who are close. Twins but fraternal ones. Sio so different in look and personality. Fern thinks she could not survive life without her sister Rose. Fern as problems of not being able to do certain things. Loins music and light send her it to a state of dread that she really can not cope with she can not come with people suddenly touching her or grabbing at her. Her illness as a name it actually stated in the book what it was called. Sorry I have actually forgotten already. However I really wasn’t paying too much attention to the name of the illness, because all those twists and turns Kept me guessing. I have to say regarding the relationship between the sister it’s not just interesting it’s a perspective I had not thought about it beforehand, especially having 3 sisters myself the way it’s written is pure genius. It’s actually hard to understand how the 2 sister are poles apart. I know j would do anything for my sisters. However to make plans the way Rose did, it would never have ever crossed my mind I suppose because I havd always been close to all 3 of my other sisters I wasn’t just attached to just one. How brilliantly it’s written too, not until I hav almost finished the book did I realise things suddenly clicking into place now for me that’s actually exceptional as I do normally have a good idea where the noon is going. No not this one it was bloody phenomenal. I do mean phenomenal too. To keep myself guessing wondering, thinking havd I missed something for the twist near the end. Was the one that had finally put me on track..... this is my first book by this author I can assure you it’s not going to be me last. THIS IS MOST DEFINITELY A MUST READ

This was absolutely brilliant, an amazing and realistic plot. Well defined characters, I couldn’t put it down. And when I had to, I was quick to pick it up again, compelled and wholeheartedly engrossed. What a superbly crafted piece of work. At times I was so full of suspense, frustration, emotion and wanted to throw up occasionally 🤦‍♀️ having to take deep breathes to calm myself down. Twin sisters, who is telling the truth, what is the truth? Who is gaslighting who? Fern, who I loved, works in a library, and is a fantastic librarian, she is sensitive, however brusque as she is on the spectrum. Even though she doesn’t realise it, she has some great colleagues and boss. Fern has sensory issues so it’s best to avoid loud noises, sounds, smells, conversation, touching and socialising or have direct eye contact. Rose, her sister is married to Owen and has her life mapped out, however, unfortunately she is finding it hard to conceive as she has premature ovarian ageing.... Fern has a few thoughts about this which are hilarious, even if insensitive, I admit, I laughed. However, Fern isn’t insensitive just black and white, no grey areas. They had a dysfunctional childhood and Fern did something that haunts her for the rest of her life, she didn’t mean to do it, but she did. Their mother ends up taking a drug overdose and they end up in care from the age of 12 until they’re 18. Fern relies on Rose for most things. Even though she has her independence, Rose controls Fern to an alarming degree. Fern thinks about getting pregnant so she can have a baby for Rose, this is how she thinks, however when she meets Wally in the library BANG the dynamics change. I absolutely loved how the relationship between Fern and Wally developed, it’s wholeheartedly sweet. If I wasn’t so happily married and loved M so much I wouldn’t mind meeting Wally! Moving on.... this is a well written and fast paced psychological thriller, which I’m sure you would enjoy. I need to be careful as don’t want to give away any spoilers, it would be so easy to share too much, you just have to read this book. As in most books there’s a great twist at the end. Thank you to the author, Sally Hepworth, Netgalley and Hodder & Stoughton for this fabulous ARC provided in exchange for this unbiased review.

What an amazing read! I loved the storyline and the characters, especially Fern!! Rose and Fern are twins, but could not be more different. Fern is a librarian with a set routine and sensory issues. She avoids loud noises, sounds, smells, conversations and eye contact, and relies on her sister Rose for most things... Until Wally comes along. Rose is married and seems to have her life together, until she finds out she cannot have children and life turns upside down. Still, she helps to guide her sister through life, but when Wally arrives, secrets are revealed and life changes forever. Even through it took a while to get to the thriller part, and the story was a little predictable, I would definitely recommend this book! It was a fab page turner, and I couldn’t wait to finish it! I will definitely be going back to read some more of Sally Hepworth after this one. Available in the UK in April 2021. Thank you to NetGalleyand Hodder Books for my ARC copy in exchange for an honest review.

I really enjoy Sally Hepworths books and this is no exception. The main character Fern has autism spectrum disorder, she is a really likeable character, reminding me a little of Eleanor Oliphant. She has a twin sister Rose who has always been her protector. Told through Roses diary entries and Ferns narration the story flits between memories of the past that have shaped them and the present day. This is a psychological thriller mixed with a love story and a focus on family and sisterhood. A great read with a brilliant twist.

I absolutely loved this book. The writer accurately portrays Fern as an autistic female character and combines this with a thrilling plot with the relationship between Fern and her sister Rose at the centre. Despite the difficulties the character faces, we come to see that there are people who care about her and through them, we come to see her strengths. As in any thriller, all is not as it seems and as I gradually became aware of this, I found myself rooting for her. Having spent a lifetime working with children and young people with Fern's difficulties, I was delighted to see how sympathetic and ultimately capable her character is shown to be.. Although I have enjoyed previous stories with autistic characters at their centre, this one is the one which strikes the most chords for me. Add to this a really good plot which makes you want to read late into the night and I would say, if you read one book this year, make it this one.

A great examination of the relationship between sisters, and the beliefs we hold around our families. It is a classic example of ' two sides to every story. WHO SHOULD WE BELIEVE?!! Nice touch, the story of wally and fern.

I'm not sure that I would put this in the "Mystery/Thriller" or "Women's Fiction" categories as these descriptions might well put people off from reading what is a simple but sensational tale of family relationships. I was immediately drawn to Fern who brought to mind "Tilly" from the "Washington Poe" novels by MW Craven. Rose less so but I did enjoy how her journal brought a different perspective from Fern's narrative. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and spent an hour or after finishing it "casting" for a tv series or film. My thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the ARC of this book.

‘The Good Sister’-Sally Hepworth ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ “My sister holds the key to my sanity.” Genre: Psychological Thriller/ Domestic Drama This book deserves all the stars! Every. Single. One. It is a silent assassin, delicately building a deep emotional connection betwixt protagonist and reader, before unceremoniously and repeatedly ripping your heart out. The reason for this distraught feeling? One word- Fern. Our protagonist is on the Autistic Spectrum and has sensory processing disorder. Fern is quick witted and unashamedly honest, direct and above all, authentically herself. Hepworth depicts ASD/SPD in a phenomenal, thought-provoking way that outlines the immediate impact upon day-to-day living that most of us take for granted. I thought it highly unlikely another character would capture my heart in the way Eleanor Oliphant did, but Fern Castle has my unwavering adoration forever more. The book explores the theme around the bond between fraternal twin sisters; navigating the choppy waters of coercion and presents the lasting impact of narcissism plaguing a family unit. It was engrossing, all-encompassing and relentlessly engaging. This book will undoubtedly stay with me for a very long time! I would like to say a huge thank you to NetGalley and Publisher Hodder & Stoughton for this sensational ARC.

Thoroughly enjoyed this book. It had me gripped all the way to the end. This is a fast paced novel and I feel that you get to know the two main characters very well. I enjoyed that this book is told separately by two sisters, with one based in the present and the other relating to the past. The characters were relatable, and there was also not a huge number of other characters featured, which made it much easier to follow. The plot features twist and turns and the book is a great thriller. The story is not overly predictable and kept me interested and intrigued throughout. I loved the authors style of writing and throughout the story was easy to comprehend. I cannot wait to read another book by this author already. This story delves into the main characters, Rose & Fern, personalities so well. Would recommend this to everyone, especially those after a fast paced easy read. It was hard to put it down, but very easy to go back to.

Firstly, I would like to say that I hugely enjoyed the way in which the author seamlessly intertwined the stories of Fern and Rose by effortlessly combining the past and present with the perspectives of both sisters in such a way that kept me eager to find out more! The author also succeeds in capturing the characteristics of a person with autism in the way that Fern is portrayed, expertly shining the light upon the daily difficulties that autistic people experience. This novel truly is the perfect blend of realism, suspense and emotion! With two immaculately developed protagonists, who will you believe? It’s the classic case of ‘there are always two sides to a story!’

This is the first Sally Hepworth novel I’ve read, and to be honest I’m lost for words. I’ve read a lot of books (I’m old!) but this is the first time I’ve wished I could give 20 out of 5 stars. Even that wouldn’t be enough. I’m not going to tell the story – the book description gives you an idea. When I read a review, all I want to know is: Was it well written? Did you want to keep turning the pages? Could you relate to the characters? Did it make you think? Was it exciting? Was it heart-wrenching? Was it believable? Did you think ‘the housework can wait’? Would it make a fantastic film? If your answers are ‘yes’ then this is a book you’d love. We have twin sisters, Rose and Fern, who were born to a cruel mother. Rose is the strong one, while Fern has sensory processing issues and is unable to cope with loud noises - even the ringing of a phone - and strong smells. Rose is her protector. Something dreadful happens when they are 12 years old, and they are put into foster care. More than that, you need to read! I love the way the story is told in a dual perspective – Fern’s voice telling us about her childhood, and Rose telling her story via a journal. The writing is brilliant, beautifully crafted, emotional, and gripping. The best book I’ve read in a very, very, long time. Sally Hepworth – you’re a genius!

I enjoyed this book which I received via NetGalley. The story of twins and their relationship. The story swings between the narratives of Fern and Rose as they tell a combined story of their past and the present. Hearing both stories from the point of view of each sister and their different perspectives. Fern has a sensory disorder, she is high functioning but has difficulties with situations where there are too many people, where it is noisy and where unexpected things happen. Rose cares for and protects her to the extent that Fern is wholly dependent on her. The book tells of Fern's life, of her job in a library and how her colleagues and clientele grow to know and appreciate her. We are with her through her gradual awakening and realisation that all is not as it seems. She forms relationships and we see her attempts to take back control of her life. The book is well written with an original theme. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Twins sisters, Fern and Rose, couldn’t be more different. They each have issues, Rose with her past and the relationship she had with their mother, and Fern with coping with daily life due to her hyper sensitivity. This book was totally different and very, very good. First time I have read this author but will definitely be on the look out for other books by her. The characters were well done and filled their roles in the story perfectly. The narrative was excellent and the story beautifully written. This book deserves all the accolades it will surely get. Thank you NetGalley for the arc.

Twin sisters growing up together. One the protector, the other the protected. But was everything really as it seemed? We follow Rose and Fern as they each share their very different perspectives on life as they were growing up. As adults they continue to have a strong relationship and Fern knows that her sister continues to protect her as she learns to cope with her “unusual” behaviours. So, Rose wants a baby-what better thanks could Fern give her than a baby? Fern gets an idea into her head that she can get pregant and gift the baby to Rose. All she needs is to find a man! The book has a very interesting writing style, switching between the voices of the 2 protagonists and sharing their differing perspectives on what happened as they were growing up. This is an great way of telling the story, as we see things from both Rose and Fern’s perspective, which seem to see things very differently. The book is utterly captivating as we get a real insight into the characters. However, the book takes a chilling turn as events begin to unravel for the sisters. This book would impress absolutely anyone; from crime lovers to romance fans; it is a story of trust and love, as well as deceit, murder and mystery.

Well what a read, I was hooked by the end of the first page. The story had me until the very last page. I fell in love with Fern and ‘Wally’ and their relationship, watching it unfold with every page. I was willing for them more than I have for any character before. I didn’t see the real Rose straight away but I started to feel something was amiss with her early on, I didn’t quite trust her. This was such a lovely read and one I wish could go on and on. It made me smile, laugh and cry at times.

What a great story! Very well planned story and a real page turner. I enjoyed everything about the book and also learned a little about the daily challenges of autism, which was really well explained without being heavy-going. I loved the quirky humour and the darkly sinister thread through the book. It kept me hooked to the very end.

Thoroughly enjoyed reading this. A new author for me. Great plot and characters that turned into a real page turner. Would absolutely reccomend you read this.

I wasn’t sure what to expect from this book but it exceeded my expectations. I liked the way it was written from each sister’s point & was intrigued as their characters & their flaws were revealed. I also learnt about sensory overload, what it’s like & ways to manage it - this added an interesting & unexpected facet to the story. I would definitely recommend this intriguing tale.

Fern and Rose are adult twins living in Australia Fern is a Librarian and Rose is married to Owen her Job is unclear, but like mosts twins they are very close. Fern appears to have a variety of Autism she takes everything literally, conversations don't flow easily for her, but also,she feels she had a good childhood Roses doesn't agree. Fern loves her Mum Rose doesn't. Fern loves her sister and will do whatever she wants or need to help. When Fern learns her sister can't have kids she hatches a plan to help which is the bulk of this thriller. As things progress with the inevitable twists all good Thrillers need its hard but to feel for Fern, the story is from her side with diary entries from Rose. The characters are great Wally is the biggest surprise but not the biggest twist that's saved for family, isn't it always? I've given this 5 🌟 stars not just because I loved it and because Sally (the Author) has done it again smashed the ball right out of the park with this her latest masterpiece, well that had helped alot obviously. Its because as I read it nothing else seemed to matter its addictive, your probably not going to want to put it down, and that's the thing about 5 ⭐ books you'd rather miss a meal or miss 💤 😴 sleep rather than put them down. That's why this gets all 5 stars i hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

I absolutely loved this book. It is so well written and had me hooked from the beginning. Although I worked out was happening quite early on, it didn’t stop me reading this book in 2 days. I highly recommend this book , you won’t be disappointed.

Fern and Rose are twins. As children they were inseparable and as adults Fern is almost dependent on her sister. Both sisters have their own issues to contend with, which have implications for the story as it unravels. Told by Fern as narrator, and in flashback through journal form by Rose, the story develops when Fern realised that her sister is struggling to conceive and that just maybe, Fern could do something to help her sister out.... A new author for me and one that I will now be looking out for. A rollercoaster of a read that kept me guessing all the way through. Thank you NetGalley for the chance to read and review.

Wow, you will not believe this book. Rose and Fern are twins and would do anything for each other and love each other. Read their story from childhood to today. But then everything begins to change when Rose wants a baby but not in the way you may think.

i have read other books by sally hepworth which i loved so i had to read this one. i honestly related so much to fern when she describes her job at the library - i feel exactly the same with certain customers! as the story progressed, i figured out pretty quick that fern is on the autism spectrum. i found it fascinating to see how fern deals with various situations that she ends up in - especially with the story written in both sisters perspectives. overall, i thoroughly enjoyed this book and the psychology behind the characters. thank you to netgalley and hodder & stoughton for the advanced copy of this book.

thanks to netgalley and the publisher for allowing me to review this book. ended completely different to what I thought. A surprisingly good read, talk about being lead along by a carrot, that was me!

Rose and Fern are twin sisters. Rose is the protective sister. Fern is the one that needs protecting. The story draws you in straight away as you get a glimpse of a childhood memory through Rose, shes having therapy and has to write things down. Whilst camping as 12 year olds Rose leaves Fern and their future step brother alone while she answers the call of nature. She returns to find him floating in the river beside Fern. I was totally hooked from the beginning and enjoyed watching the story play out. It's a rather dark and gripping book and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's my first book by this author but it won't be my last.

A captivating, entailing story from the off. Fern and Rose are twins. Fern, an intriguing and endearing character, has sensory processing difficulties and Rose has always prided herself on being Rose's protector but as Fern moves towards a life of independence the line between the sisters' relationship blurs. A brilliant read, thanks to netgalley for the advance read copy in exchange for an honest review.

Sally Hepworth does it again! I devoured this book in one sitting and ended up not getting to sleep until late as a consequence. This is a great domestic noir and I was thrilled to discover a neurodivergent protagonist who wasn’t a rain man style savant. Fern is an instantly likeable character and as I’m also neurodiverse with sensory processing issues I could relate to her in many ways. I don’t know what experience Hepworth has with autism but she did a really good job here. Fern’s twin sister Rose is from the outset, a puzzle. She seems to be the victim of a terrible childhood and now in a marriage she knows is failing because of her increasing desperation to conceive which should make the reader sympathetic to her, but something about her just didn’t feel warm and natural like Fern did. This is cleverly written by Hepworth as we soon find out that everything is not what it seems with Rose so the seeds have been very carefully sown with skilled writing. Wally is undoubtedly the best ‘Prince Charming’ of any book I’ve read for a long time and seeing Fern blossom with him is really lovely. The supporting cast of characters at the library are also well drawn and likeable and the love of reading shines through in every scene there. Although I figured out fairly quickly what was going on I was still turning pages at speed racing to find out what would happen in the end. The end when it comes could be said to be sentimental and a bit unadventurous but it was perfect as Fern deserves nothing less.

Really good read. Tells the story of two sisters (Fern and Rose). Fern has autism and relies heavily on Rose. The story tells of their life from childhood through to current days (about mid 30’s). It is a story that keeps us guessing and you truly care what happens to Fern as she blossoms and grows. Great story and explains the issues people with autism face as they lead their lives in a neurotypical environment.

The Other Sister - Sally Hepworth The only book by Sally Hepworth I've read previously was The Family Next Door, which I thoroughly enjoyed, so was looking forwards to reading another one. I mainly read Psychological Thrillers and Crime, but am very open to this kind of 'sunny domestic-noir'. The story of two twins, Rose and Fern. Fern has some form of autistic spectrum sensory overload issue and takes things very literally. Fern's is the main narrative, which is based in the present. Rose's contribution comes in the form of a journal, documenting their childhood and unstable home life . We learn early on that the twins were involved in the drowning of a boy they were camping with. Most of the book covers Fern's daily life and struggles, working as a Librarian and trying to cope, it is sensitive, tender and often very funny. I wasn't gripped, but was contentedly entertained. Things get a lot more involved and tense in the last third which I found gripping, tense and very, very moving. One of those you can't say too much about without hinting at spoilers, but it is very cleverly constructed and extremely well told. Ever so readable and highly recommended.

Totally had me hooked. This is about two sisters who are twins, and you read the diary of one and the other part is real time. It goes between them and you think one is a better sister.....but which one really is good. It's a unique storyline and I loved it . Sally Hepworth is a fantastic writer who knows how to get the readers gripped Can't wait to read more Thank you NetGalley

I couldn’t put this book down and read it in 1 night! I was really impressed with the way various mental health and learning difficulties were portrayed in the book. Also it was good how the author showed different ways they were combatting this and how they acknowledged they made mistakes in social communications. I also enjoyed the love story intertwined with the story between Fern and ‘Wally’, her sister Rose and her mother. It was great the way her feelings were explored and how she felt about each person. Loved the ending, really wrapped everything up and left me feeling satisfied.

This is my second Sally Hepworth novel and I have got the rest lined up ready to go . This tale grabbed me on the first page and didn't let go till the last . Fern and Rose are twins -inseparable all their lives . Now Fern has had a taste of independence - and she quite likes it . However Rose isn't sure -Fern has a few problems going on and she isn't sure she can handle too much . And Rose has always protected her .... Two sisters -very different -but who is the good sister ?? Loved It ! Thankyou NetGalley for an ARC in return for an honest review

There are some books you cannot put down, this was one of them. If you like dysfunctional, toxic, old fashioned good versus evil The Good Sister is a great book for you! Sally Hepworth has cleverly captured two very compelling personalities in the sisters Rose and Fern as their story unfolds. No spoilers, you need to read this to the end that you won't see coming!

Sister relationships can be very complicated and are not usually something I enjoy reading about, as I prefer a plot with a wider lens rather than an intense focus on just two females and ideally a novel with an evocative, glamorous setting. I am glad, however, that I made an exception for Sally Hepworth’s latest novel ….as this exception was well worth it! 'The Good Sister' is about Fern and Rose, non-identical twins in their late twenties who each deal with serious issues. Rose, a diabetic, has become her sister’s protector because Fern struggles a sensory processing issues that leave her unable to cope in many day-to-day situations, although she is highly thought of and appreciated in her librarian job. As well as looking out for her sister now, we learn that Rose also covered for Fern during a terrible childhood event that neither sister has yet recovered from, and that both girls are traumatised by their dysfunctional childhood at the hands of their hostile, narcissistic mother. But was the past exactly like the sisters make out and is the present really like Rose describes it in her journal? Even if you would not normally consider a domestic thriller, I suggest you pick up this one – you may well find you are hooked! Thank you to the publishers and to NetGalley for providing me with an ARC in return for this honest and unbiased review.

Thoroughly enjoyed this and how twisted it was, well worth reading as you will get sucked straight into the story!

The good sister is a brilliant emotive domestic thriller that will draw you in and keep you guessing right until the end! The power and intensity of fraternal twins bonds, one twin having a sensory processing disorder the other being the protector, where do these roles end and start?? Fern and Rose are twins that have a very intimate, close almost suffocating relationship forged from childhood due we are led to believe from their upbringing! Now as adults Fern is functioning well,working, sticking to her routines and rituals but Rose who likes to be needed,wanted is faltering and needs to come up with a plan to make Fern ever more reliant upon her! What follows is a twisty, emotive, thrilling read that will enthrall you to the end! Thank you net galley for this early read.

This book is absolutely fantastic! I literally could not put it down. It is a beautifully written story about twin sisters who couldn't be more different. There is some humour throughout the story which makes it heart warming but then it takes a dark, mysterious turn. I wish I could give this book more than 5 stars! Without a doubt I will be recommending this book to family and friends. If you are unsure whether this book is for you, definitely read it! I have never read any of Sally Hepworth's books before but after reading this I will be purchasing her others. She has an great way of writing which flows and her descriptions of the characters were perfect. By the end of this book I had no questions about particular characters and there were no "loose ends." There's nothing worse than getting to the end of a book and not having questions answered. I have no faults or criticisms at all with this book. A thrilling story with an excellent ending. Thank you to Sally Hepworth, Net Galley and Hodder and Stoughton for the opportunity to read and review this book.