Climate Change Is Racist

Race, Privilege and the Struggle for Climate Justice

Pub Date 10 Aug 2021 | Archive Date 11 Aug 2021

Talking about this book? Use #ClimateChangeIsRacist #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

‘Will open the minds of even the most ardent denier of climate change and/or systemic racism. If there’s one book that will help you to be an effective activist for climate justice, it’s this one.’ Dr Shola Mos-Shogbamimu, author of This is Why I Resist: Don't Define My Black Identity

When we talk about racism, we often mean personal prejudice or institutional biases. Climate change doesn’t work that way. It is structurally racist, disproportionately caused by majority White people in majority White countries, with the damage unleashed overwhelmingly on people of colour. The climate crisis reflects and reinforces racial injustices.

In this eye-opening book, writer and environmental activist Jeremy Williams takes us on a short, urgent journey across the globe – from Kenya to India, the USA to Australia – to understand how White privilege and climate change overlap. We’ll look at the environmental facts, hear the experiences of the people most affected on our planet and learn from the activists leading the change.

It’s time for each of us to find our place in the global struggle for justice.