More Than Words

Turn #MeToo into #ISaidSomething

Pub Date 4 Oct 2022 | Archive Date Not set

Talking about this book? Use #MoreThanWords #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

In More Than Words: Turn #MeToo into #ISaidSomething, Kirsten Anderson shares her remarkable journey from the debilitating despair of harassment to hope.

After years of employment in a verbally abusive environment at the Iowa Statehouse, she lost her identity as an assertive, career-minded, confident, and empowered woman. Her relationship with her toxic employer ended when she was fired just hours after issuing a formal complaint. A legal and personal journey ensued.

Anderson won her case. Since then, she has made it her mission to educate others about the complexities of sexual harassment, bullying, and retaliation in the workplace. By sharing the realities targets of harassment face, she intends to educate readers, help targets move forward and initiate change in toxic work environments to eliminate harassment once and for all.

After years of employment in a verbally...

ISBN 9781954676251

Send to Kindle (PDF)

This book is written from a place of privilege. The author understands that the average person simply does not have the wherewithal to withstand a lengthy legal battle. Her story is still inspiring.

It is difficult for the average person to remain hopeful when it feels like there is nothing we can do to protect ourselves. The author is passionate, well spoken and shows real empathy. They advocate for change and understanding.

I'm still unsure what the average "little people" can really do, without jeopardising their livelihoods - most people aren't in a position where they can take that risk. I'm still very glad the author had the courage to stand up and also to tell their story.

I hope this book inspires more people, who are in a position where they can stand up, to gain the courage to do so.

The author does a good job tackling an uncomfortable topic. She does this in a way that doesn't dwell on the same points but still is able to tell her story and help guide the conversation for change. It is easy to follow and read which makes it even more helpful when looking to use as a resource to guide change in your own employment environment or any other you are looking to change for the better.

As a survivor of sexual assault it is great to see another strong woman share her story.

This is a heavier read, with that said, it can resonate well with a survivor. If you are somebody who is not a survivor and are looking to learn more I would definitely recommend.

Overall, 5/5.

I enjoyed this book because of it's writing style, unique topic, and the fact that it really provided a thought-provoking experience. Recommended for readers who want to read slowly so as to take time to process.

This book reads more like a dissertation; however, its a excellent insight to the experiences of sexual harassment. The process and mindset of a victim, first dismissing, then avoiding, finally succumbing to the escalation of mistreatment is the story of so many. If you question if your are, or have been, the victim of harrassment, this book with surely bring clarity, as well as prepare you for the struggles and challenges of speaking out.

I really appreciate the author for writing this book. To write about this topic and explain your own experience requires a brave heart. It's a heavy read. It's my first time to read a book on #metoo in which the real difficulties faced by women in today's world are well described. The way book is written is good.

In More than Words, Kirsten dives deep into the Me to movement but with relatable stories and prompts to think on and really bring it to our today. It's time for change in the workplace and this book is leading the way.

Huge thanks to NetGalley for lending me an advanced reader's copy of the book in exchange of a honest review. All thoughts are on my own.

This was an amazing an necessary book towards sexual harassment, how to deal with it, how to support people that are suffering and mainly, to do something about it and don't stay quiet. I encourage everyone to read this book, it makes you think and it also helps you to have more empathy towards people in toxic environments. It's a very important book that tells a true life story, everyone should read it.

Book review:
More than Words by Kirsten D. Anderson is a wonderful, inspiring read on the way of making a harassment free work enviornment.

Kirsten was working in a state legislature having more men and a few women. To survive in a manly enviornment one has to compromise a lot of things so do she. She lived in a toxic workplace for 5 long years where she suffered from sexual harassment. At heights of her suffering she thought of giving up but her all protests went in vain.

At last she was fired and that moment changed her life. Her husband supported her in all walks of life. She decided to file a courtcase which meant to suffer again all disgusting comments or allow anyone else to scrutinize your sexual harassment once again and publicly. She didn't give up and won the case after four years legal battle.

In this book Kirsten has shared her personal experiences of despair and then coming out of that trauma. She desires for a healthy work enviornment for all.

I loved reading this amazing book and recommend this book this book for all self help book lovers. It is an amazing and inspiring read for all. Happy reading!

I am really thankful to Netgalley and Indigo river Publishing for giving me this wonderful book to read in return of an honest review.

#netgalley #morethanwords #netgalleyreads #bookbloggers #bookstagram #bookreviewers #bookarcs #booknerd #booknerds #kirstenanderson #bookstagrammers #igreview #igreaders #readersofinstagram

More Than Words is a powerful account of sexual harassment in the workplace. It's an immense issue that needs to be talked about more, and I think this book is the perfect way to do so. I loved how educational it was. I learnt a lot, and I'm sure a lot of others will. I'm glad books like this exist.

This is the story of Kirsten Anderson who worked as a communications specialist for the State of Iowa, and legally fought the sexual harassment she faced at work.

Kirsten had a boss who frequently made lewd remarks, gestures & jokes – many of the examples she cites are definitely disturbing. She complained about it a few times and found that no action followed. As she points out, the powerful, especially those perceived to produce results are never acted against. This, of course, is a mirage as other than the purely unacceptable environment, the human costs are also extremely high. She came to be scrutinized and criticized for her work quality after her complaints. She found herself finding ways to cope by somehow adjusting to a toxic environment for 5 years. After another complaint, she was fired from her job almost immediately. She was lucky to find a considerate attorney to argue her case which she won and received an award.

There are takeaways and scenarios at the end of each chapter to prompt introspection on how abuse can be handled. The statistics she quotes are troubling – 81% of women and 41% of men have faced abuse at work, and moreover a vast majority do not report the abuse they face. Though the writing could have been better, this is a story of bravery and is inspiring.

My rating: 4.25 / 5.

Firstly thank you for Netgalley and indigo river publishers for this ARC.

I wish this book had been a resource for me when I was younger as it’s a lot harder now to relearn how to respect yourself and know your value.
I have recently worked in a toxic workplace and it doesn’t leave you. I was lucky to have someone new join my workplace and see that the pattern of bullying language was not limited to me which showed me that it was not a problem with me but a problem with the wider work force/management and both me and my new colleague quickly left after raising the issue with HR

This book should be a resource for all workplaces , schools , to be honest this book is for all.

It bounces between facts/statistics and situation examples (so you can reflect on how to put what you have read into a real setting) to personal experiences and her own feelings.

I loved the discussion on respect and couldn’t agree more that respect to others is not valued as much as it should be in our social media world where instant personal gratification is much more widespread . The customer is not always right and everyone in every role should be valued with respect.

My only criticism is that I wish it had delved deaper into the authors own emotions and how the situation she found herself in had effected her at the time.
As I am from the UK I was unfamiliar with her story and of how the structure of us politics works so a bit more background context in her story would have really helped.

This book will make you feel smart, strong and valued . The message of hope and respect is palpable on every page .
I would highly recommend!

Wow this one was heavy. It was a quick read where and I think this should be available to everyone as a resource because it really had me looking inwards at my own life and experiences.

81% of females have been sexually harassed in their lifetime. EIGHTY ONE PERCENT.

This book is challenging, because the topic is heavy and rightfully so. But there are legitimate tips to use woven throughout like phrases to use during tough or inappropriate situations.

She poses questions after scenarios to get you thinking.

Such a good piece of nonfiction for all women and men. #MeToo

Thank you to NetGalley and Indigo River for this ARC. I hope it finds its way into the hands of many more soon.