The Garden of Angels

Pub Date 18 Aug 2022 | Archive Date 18 Aug 2022

Talking about this book? Use #TheGardenofAngels #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

When a Jewish classmate is attacked by bullies, fifteen-year-old Nico just watches - earning him a week's suspension and a typed, yellowing manuscript from his frail Nonno Paolo. A history lesson, his grandfather says, and a secret he must keep from his father.

Nico is transported back to the Venice of 1943, an occupied city seething under the Nazis, and to the defining moment of his grandfather's life: when Paolo's support for a murdered Jewish woman brings him into the sights of the city's underground resistance. Hooked and unsettled, Nico can't stop reading - but he soon wonders if he ever knew his beloved grandfather at all.

EDITION Paperback

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

I really enjoyed this book, well written with a riveting storyline and well developed characters. I loved the mystery and suspense elements, I loved the dual timeline and historical elements. I loved it.

This was a fine book exquisitely written and well plotted that ranged between the present and the past and provided a beautiful and detailed picture of occupied Venice in the second world war. Original and heartbreaking at times, this was an excellent read.

I finished this book so quickly as I couldn't put it down. I was drawn in by the story Nonno Paolo was telling his grandson and it has stayed with me ever since I finished reading it. It was beautifully written.
The twist in the book shocked me, I did not see that coming!
I don't think enough words will do this book justice, you just need to read it. Heartbreakingly beautiful.