Life Lessons From Historical Women

Pub Date 15 Aug 2024 | Archive Date 15 Sep 2024

Talking about this book? Use #LifeLessonsFromHistoricalWomen #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Take a tour of the past and uncover stories of the women whose lives and achievements have shaped our modern world. In Life Lessons from Historical Women, Eleanor Morton celebrates the ordinary women whose decisions and accomplishments in their everyday lives resonate with us today.

Taking inspiration from the thriving self-help genre, Morton reasons that the greatest lessons can be taken from the female forebears who have come before - women whose actions inspire purpose, creativity and rebellion... without a side of pseudo psychology and judgement...

Covering the full gamut of the female experience, and women from all corners of history and the globe, Life Lessons from Historical Women includes chapters on 'How To Thrive' with Judith Kerr, 'Think Like an Entrepreneur' with Mary Seacole, and 'How Not to Give a Fuck' with the famous suffragette martyr Emily Davison.

Whether it's what we can learn from the first woman to summit Everest or the trailblazing ladies who confirm that pockets have always been must-have in women's clothing, Eleanor writes with humour and a sincere respect for our history, and imparts valuable lessons for the modern female.

EDITION Audiobook, Unabridged
ISBN 9781804192306
DURATION 7 Hours, 2 Minutes

NetGalley Shelf App (AUDIO)

Eleanor Morton brings us life lessons from historical women and you can learn a lot from these groundbreaking legends, and have a laugh along the way.

The written tone is just perfect, striking the right balance between humour, truth and solemnity as she regales us with tales of some truly epic historical woman (and maybe some slightly shady ones too). It was all delivered in a humour filled, informative knowledge bomb and I loved every single chapter.

We learn from a woman who has climbed Everest, the first to run a marathon, those who have navigated the world during oppression, segregation, violence, sickness and those who have overcome the odds against their male counterparts.

Each chapter, dedicated to an amazing woman and her story, they give an insight into what they faced and the challenges they had to overcome. I loved that there was a sprinkling of names I did know, but just as importantly, ones I didn’t! The snippets give you a launchpad in which to begin your own research in any stories that fired up your curiosity. I loved that! The picks were great. I also loved the ‘ten things’ addition in between the chapters.

The audiobook too, narrated by the author, was also done brilliantly and made my reading/ listening experience even better.

It was a really enjoyable read, both entertaining and really well written. I have lots of new subjects for further research and the want to get to know more. Book two please!

I really enjoyed this exploration of stories from women - some well known, some who have been all but written out of history, narrated by the author. The introduction with the story of Eleanor's grandmother sets the scene for these radical women, and each are beautifully researched stories with detailed insight into their lives. I'd recommend this to anyone, you're sure to learn a lot and enjoy this! The story of the Japanese mountaineer was possibly my favourite, what an achievement.